Recurve limbs on shorter trad risers

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Ian Turner

Recurve limbs on shorter trad risers

#1 Post by Ian Turner » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:08 pm

Hi all just wondering if there are any issues when using recurve limbs made fot ILF Target risers of 23 and 25 inches on riser that are 18 and 19 inches eg i have a set of ILF target bow limbs mediums so 68""on a 25"" riser and i have put them on my Jaguar elite riser thats 18" and its adde 10 pounds to the draw weight so the 26 limbs are 36 on my Jag riser and thinking of getting some Hoyt Formula limbs and putting them on my Buffalo which is a 19" riser.
Would having these limbs on shorter risers put extra stresses on them and hence make them prone to breakage; just after peoples thoughts.
Cheers

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Recurve limbs on shorter trad risers

#2 Post by greybeard » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:56 pm

Ian,

It may seem like a silly question but what are you trying to achieve by carrying out this modification?

There are a lot of variables that come into play when you start playing around/altering the geometry of the original design.

What are the manufacturer’s specifications and recommendations for the bows in question?

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Ian Turner

#3 Post by Ian Turner » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:31 pm

Hi Daryl, the Jaguar Riser is made to accept ILF limbs and the Martin non ilf limbs so i am using some ILF limbs on it now as they are more readily available and less than half the price of the Martin Limbs and ILF come in many different poundages and limb lengths and while i do have Martin limbs i prefer to use the ILF ones on thje Jaguar Elite riser and use the Martin ones on the other standard Jaguar riseres i have so i am assuming that as the Jag Elite Risers are made to take ILF limbs that they should be ok the Jag riser is 18" when measured straight across it.

The Hoyt Buffalo is made to take the Hoytr Forula system limbs and when measured straight accross the riser its 18.5", litereature says they are a 19"" riser.
Again Buffalo limbs are very expensive and the Hoyt Formula Excell limbs fit the riser as they are both the formula fittings but as the Excell limbs are made for the 21 and 23 inch risers i wondered if they would have any issues being on a 19 inch riser.
Cheers mate
Ian

kimall

#4 Post by kimall » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:40 pm

Ian Langcaster archery have a lot of info regarding differant length limbs and riser combination.
Cheers KIM

ROSCO

#5 Post by ROSCO » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:27 pm

Hi
If the limbs are marked 26 lbs 68" and 28lb 66'' on a 25''/ 23'' target riser. So every 2'' shorter the riser is adds on 2 lbs of weight, it should be 32 lbs 62'' long may go higher if limb bolts tighten all the way down or if the the riser 18''.
Don't know much about the jaguar limb angles

dartonian

#6 Post by dartonian » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:17 pm

Hi Ian,
I shoot a set of medium carbon/foam ILF limbs on a short 17" wooden ILF riser. I read a pretty good summary about this on a yank forum and the general rule of thumb is to ensure that the limb length matches your draw length so as not to overstress the limbs. ie. only use shorts if your draw is under 27", Mediums for 27-29" and longs for anything more.

I also have a set of carbon foam ILF shorts that I use on a 23" target riser and they really do start to stack to the point of being uncomfortable on the shorter riser, unless I have the limb bolts all the way out (I draw about 27.5")
I think too many ppl think of ILF like a normal t/d bow and immediately screw the limb bolts down as tight as they will go... which is not the best way to go.

The joy of the short ILF risers is being able to use hi-tech target limbs on a hunting length bow... just dont overstress them and you should be fine

Cheers

Ian Turner

#7 Post by Ian Turner » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:59 pm

Hi mate thanks for that; you dont happen to know the site or have a link do you?
Cheers

dartonian

#8 Post by dartonian » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:55 pm

This was one of them...

http://peteward.com/2009pages/articles/ ... uiude.html

Cheers,
Paul

dartonian

#9 Post by dartonian » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:56 pm

Pretty sure the other main one was on the UK forum Archery Talk... but I can't find the thread now.
I know that Sid from Border Archery had quite a bit of input... but I've lost it, sorry.

Paul

Ian Turner

#10 Post by Ian Turner » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:02 pm

Thanks very much for that mate.
Cheers