Riser Length and limb length when it comes to draw weight

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Ian Turner

Riser Length and limb length when it comes to draw weight

#1 Post by Ian Turner » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:02 am

Hi all,
I have a Hoyt Buffalo with 19"riser and they have the Hoyt Formula limb fittings NOT ILF.
I am trying to get a set of lighter limbs for it and my main option seems to be a set of 2nd hand target bow limbs but these are all rated for 23"and 25"risers.
Would a target set rated for the longer risers be OK / safe to shoot from the short 19"riser and how would i "convert" thed limb rated draw weight eg a set of limbs rated at say 30lb on a 25" riser what would they be roughly on the 19" riser?
Thanks guys
Cheers
PS If anyone has any Buffalo limbs for sale please give me a HOY!
Cheers

perry

Re: Riser Length and limb length when it comes to draw weigh

#2 Post by perry » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:21 am

It depends on the length of the Limb and the Limb Pocket Angle so it's hard to be precise. I dont know if the newer system uses different length Limbs like the ILF System does. Roughly with the ordinary ILF Limb if you buy a set of "Long Limbs" you'll get about a 2# increase in Draw Weight for each inch your Riser is Shorter. So a set of 30# longs will give you about 42# on your 19" Riser. Cant see it being that much different with the Buffalo. Like I said it will vary with Limb Pocket Angles and the length of the Limb. If they offer Short, Medium and Long Limb Lengths and if you have a long draw I feel your asking for strife with Finger Pinch and Stacking if you opt for the Short or Mediums on your Riser.

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Ian Turner

Re: Riser Length and limb length when it comes to draw weigh

#3 Post by Ian Turner » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:25 am

Hi Perry thanks for the reply mate.
My draw from throat of handle is about 28.5" the Buffalo with its medium limbs which is the longest they come in as far as i know makes a 62" AMO bow.
As i understand it Hoyt came out with the formula system some years ago for their Target bows which is a bit longer from the riser slot to the pin / button etc that clicks into the limb pockets on the riser.
Cheers
Ian