Carbon Aluminium or Wood for hunting arrows

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Ian Turner

Carbon Aluminium or Wood for hunting arrows

#1 Post by Ian Turner » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:58 pm

Hi all guess you can figure out i am trying to set myself up for a hunt this time with my recurve rather than the compound and i am trying to set myself up the best i can so now I am interested to know what draw weight bows you hunt with and what shaft material and broadhead you all use.
Cheers and thanks for the advice
Ian
Last edited by Ian Turner on Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matt61

Re: Carbon Aluminium or Wood for hunting arrows

#2 Post by matt61 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:22 pm

Hi Ian
My six trad bows range from 54# to 50# and I have shot game with all of them and I use Gold Tip Traditional shafts in all of them.
My moto with carbon shafts is they are either good or they are broken. And I make them all bright colors. Broadheads ,I use Outback Shikara's for pig and goats and Montec G5 three blades for foxes and they are 125grns.
Matt

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:53 pm

In the last ten years I have been shooting my longbow of 59# and my self bow of 66#. I have used wood and bamboo arras of 700-750 grains. For broad heads I have just used my 190 grain Ribteks. I need to make myself a new bow and will go down in weight to 50-55#.

Jeff

TomMcDonald

#4 Post by TomMcDonald » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:54 pm

Carbon all the way, footed with either alloy shafts or brass tube for strength.
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com

Ian Turner

#5 Post by Ian Turner » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:53 pm

Hi Tom how long do you make your footing and i assume its at the point end. cheers

perry

#6 Post by perry » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:57 am

Ian it will boil down too are you prepared to buy store bought components and assemble them or do you want to make your Timber Arrows from scratch. Unless you buy your Timber Shafts from a Custom Supplier you will find it very difficult to buy consistently spined and weighted Arrows. Not Trad but from a financial aspect you may as well Hunt with Carbons to ensure consistent weighted and spined Hunting Arrows. They are tougher than Timber also. Be carefull with Insert or Outsert Footings for Carbons as where the footing ends is a pinch point and you will break arrows there consistently. You'll also pay a premium price for Carbons that have thicker walls for increased FOC at the pointy end.

I have Hunted with Selfbows and Take Down Fibreglass Laminate Bows in the 45# range and 550-600 grain Timber Arrows for many years now. I prefer Broadheads like Davies aka Tusker Concorde for their nearly 3:1 Length to width Ratio which is a proven aid in penetration. To bring my Forward of Centre up I footed many of my Hunting Arrows with hardwood. The same deal as with Carbon Arrows applies to Timber Arrows if you want to increase FOC with any of the glue on Outsert type options like Screw In Point Adapters, sleeving them lengths of Alloy Shaft etc, you create a weak spot directly behind it

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Ian Turner

#7 Post by Ian Turner » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:54 am

Hi Perry i must admit i wondered if footing on a carbon would do that. I buy all my components and make my own arrows in all the material types.
The fear i have always held with carbons is that there may be a crack etc that i dont see paricularly if one developed under a wrap and end up with an arrow through my arm' havent seen it with a trad bow yet but have seen an arrow through the hand from a compound.
Cheers