Bow info , Internature , Samik ?

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

dawallace45

Bow info , Internature , Samik ?

#1 Post by dawallace45 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:01 pm

Guys I need your advice , having been out of the scene as far as buying gear for some time I'm a little out of touch ,

While I love a good one piece recurve the fact that I'll probably be trading my old Triton twin cab in on a Suzuki Jiminy makes a one piece recurve a little awkward , don't have any idea what the hell I'm going to do when I get another longbow but either way I'm thinking of a takedown ,

I'm 6'2" and have a draw around 30" or so , I'm sort of thinking of some thing around 58" or more , I'm thinking maybe a 50 to 55# draw weight , I used to shoot 65# in recurve and longbow and 70 # in compound but getting older , actually only 47 but according to the doc have the body of a 65 year old , my shoulders have abnormal wear and tear and severe tendon and ligament damage and click and crunch quite painfully a lot of the time [ most times ] , I've dropped my compound weight down to 62# and that seems quite ok , I've checked out a few 55# recurves and they seem fine , my self bow is 55# so I think I'll be able to shoot that long term with out any problems but possibly dropping to 50 # may be the smarter idea ,

While I'd like to get one of those beautiful pieces of gear that some of our home grown bowyers produce I simply can't afford it at this stage so I'm considering the Internature and Samik bows [ Predator ] , any one used them in the 50 to 55# range ? were they any good ? would you recommend them ? any one used the internature Hunter [ yeah I know , it's a one piece but it does look good ]

So help me out fellers what do you recommend ?

David W

hubris

#2 Post by hubris » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:52 pm

Gday David, welcome to ozbow :)

Mate, I just sold my Sammick 50 pound Predator TD with bowquiver on ebay!

I only got into bowhunting earlier this year. Started out with a 30 pound Internature TD, and after a couple of weeks moved up to the 50 pound Predator. My petite wife uses the 30 pound for fun target shooting down the back of the block (she's better than me sometimes :oops: )

For a factory made TD bow I thought the Predator was a nice bow to shoot. At first it made quite a bit of noise, but thanks to the advice from the more experienced guys on this forum I was able to get rid of the noise, and once I made heavier arrows around 500grain, there was no sound at all. Just the thud of the arrows :D

As far as the poundage. Well, I'm a short fella - only 5.8 - and by no means the Incredible Hulk (or Spiderman :wink:) but I found the 50 pounds easy to pull. It took me a couple of weeks to get comfortable with it. I would just spend 20 minutes every night pulling drawing it, holding, and slowly releasing. Then when I started to shoot it... I'd go down for an hour and shoot a heap of arrows in the back paddock, occaissionally coming back with a sore shoulder when I overdid it. But after a month it was nothing, and these days I really don't even notice it - just my new big forearms 8) I could almost fit in up in Mt Isa with a few crayon drawn tats and a braided beard :wink:

I only sold the Predator because I'm having a heavier (70 pound) bow made, and I knew it would just collect dust.

If you end up getting the Predator and need some tips on silencing it send me a PM :)
Saul 'Winks at Goats' & 'Paddles from Crocs'

dawallace45

#3 Post by dawallace45 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:44 am

Hubris

So I take it that you would recommend that bow ? Where did you get yours and how much did it cost you bare bow ?

I bought my first real bow when I was 19 , I'm 47 now , Christ ! that means that I've been shooting for 28 bloody years , hell you would think I'd get it right by now , LOL

My first bow was a True Aim [ Korean ] 50# at 28" and 58" long , recurve , it stacked worse that any bow I've ever shot , lovely and smooth up to 28" then it was like hitting a brick wall , my draw length was 31" then and that bow measures out at 65# at 31" but it shot well and never gave a problem even with all the rough treatment and the trips out west hunting where the bow would sit in the hot car in bloody awful weather , it actually out lasted many of my more expensive brand name bows , after that experience I'd have to say that I'm sort of fond of Korean bows and have great respect for them but I'd rather not have a bow that stacked like that again .

If your 5'8" there is probably no point in asking if it stacked past 28" , stacking seems to be a problem only people my size seem to have , I worked out long ago that the world was made for people 5'9" and if you were around that size every thing was a perfect fit , it was only if you were too short or too tall you had problems .

What was the over all length of the bow , was it a smooth draw ?

I'm sort of on the other end of the scale , 6'2" and hands like dinner plates , many years ago when I was fit , my training weight was 92kg , these days I'm 97kg , so I'm sort of on the large economy size , I can still draw a 70 # bow but after a few shots the tendonitis in the shoulders starts giving me a lot of pain but with a lighter bow I don't have as much problem

Are they a true centre shot ? I seem to remember reading some where that some one had problems with the way the shelf was cut , but then they didn't really seem to know what they were doing and they were very vague about it

David W

hubris

#4 Post by hubris » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:22 am

David,

Well, like you say, I never had any hassles with stacking, but my draw was only 28" I think that it would have had a little stacking past that point because some others have drawn it past that, and said it had a little stacking, but not too bad. I can't really say.
world was made for people 5'9"
heheh... so long as you're not shopping for trousers or shirts that seem to be designed for 6"+ tall thin people without thighs, chests, or shoulders...

Yes it was centre shot... and I never had any hassles with it, once I got the arrows spined correctly... seemed very smooth to me. I mean, I've shot much nicer bows. Tracker has a beautiful one piece Bear bow (58 pounds I think and about 60") which was very nice, but it was worth a lot more than the sammick.

It was 58" and I paid $190 for the bow from a Canberra shop, so for the money, I'd say it was really good. I'd sum it up as a great bow for those wanting to get into traditional bowhunting. If you've got more experience, a longer draw, and possibly a little picky, then you'd probably find faults... but not with the price.
Saul 'Winks at Goats' & 'Paddles from Crocs'

tracker

#5 Post by tracker » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:36 am

David,

I shot Hubris' bow a few times. It was very nice to shoot and ultra quiet.

And the price is a major plus.

The limbs on these bows seem quite powerful to me and do well with heavy arrows.

Mick.
"One has been a bad spectator of life if one has not also seen the hand that in a considerate fashion - kills." Nietzsche.

dawallace45

#6 Post by dawallace45 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:52 pm

Tracker , Hubris

The Samik Predator sounds good but I am a little worried about stacking , maybe a slightly longer bow like maybe 60 to 64" may be a better idea , can any one recommend a takedown bow like that ? maybe in a slightly higher price range ?

Just as a matter of interest does any one have any idea what the Huntsman bows sell for ?

David W

Buford

#7 Post by Buford » Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:41 am

dawallace45 wrote:Just as a matter of interest does any one have any idea what the Huntsman bows sell for ?

David W
I am pretty sure Mark quotes as to which timber you choose so prices vary depending on availability. They cost a little more than a samik but I had the privilege of trying one at this years Hunter Valley Trad gathering and I can assure you, they are worth every cent. :wink:

In case you dont already have it, this is a link to his website for more info.
Or you can send Mark a PM, he is "M.K." on Ozbow.

cheers
Buford
http://www.geocities.com/huntsman_bows/
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

erron

#8 Post by erron » Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:51 pm

David,

if you want an Internature or similar bow, give Erich (on here) an email, he distributes them.

cheers,

Erron

dawallace45

#9 Post by dawallace45 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:00 pm

Erron

Thanks , have sent him a email

David W