Importing yew?

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

cadet

Importing yew?

#1 Post by cadet » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:24 pm

I'm considering importing some pacific yew from north America, as it seems nigh on impossible to get locally, and just... because...!
While staves themselves aren't cheap, it's the shipping costs that seem eye watering; is there a cheaper way of getting them sent here from North America?
And are there any pitfalls re customs/quarantine? I'd rather not spend hundreds on a yew stave only for it to be destroyed by AQIS/Border farce.
Ta.

hunterguy1991

Re: Importing yew?

#2 Post by hunterguy1991 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:27 pm

Full staves are expensive for the wood and the shipping. Unfortunately that's just how it is. To ensure it comes in ok have the source take the bark off. Most folks that are selling it know how to prep it properly so they should be able to do this for you.

How much are you planning on getting and where have you looked to get it from so far?

cadet

#3 Post by cadet » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:14 am

Probably only to get one or two staves; have looked at ravenbeak and medicine bow woods so far; the latter seems to sell a bit on ebay.

Thanks for the tip on de-barking.

It's possibly a complete folly to spend that much money on a bit of wood, but yew is *the* fabled bow timber; I have to have a play with it at least once before I die...!
hunterguy1991 wrote:Full staves are expensive for the wood and the shipping. Unfortunately that's just how it is. To ensure it comes in ok have the source take the bark off. Most folks that are selling it know how to prep it properly so they should be able to do this for you.

How much are you planning on getting and where have you looked to get it from so far?

hunterguy1991

#4 Post by hunterguy1991 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:38 am

Medicine wood staves I would steer clear of personally... Haven't heard good things. Ravenbeak staves are definitely quality ones.