The first Traditional Archery Australia Selfbow Workshop.

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

perry

The first Traditional Archery Australia Selfbow Workshop.

#1 Post by perry » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:12 pm

G/Day Folk's, here's a summary of and what to expect at Traditional Archery Australia's Selfbow Workshop's.

The first Traditional Archery Australia Workshop was held at Lakeside Bowmen over the Weekend of the 1st and 2nd of April. 2017. Gary Penshorn and Glenn Newell assisted Perry Jackson in Instructing a keen group of Traditional Archer's in the ancient Art of making a working handle Selfbow.

The Cyclone and Rain Depression during the Week before the Workshop affected delivery arrangement's for Workbenches, Tool Boxes and a few Hand Tool's but thanks to some forward thinking and careful redundancy choices of the Hand Tools to be used in the Workshops we where still able to go ahead with the Workshop despite missing the Work Benches in particular.

High quality American Red Oak Boards that had long straight edge Grain where supplied. The Staves we selected were cut before the Workshop to approx 72" long, approx 1 3/16" wide and 3/4" deep. When I bought the Staves no suitable Australian Timber was available. Australian Timbers are as good as anything else in the World for making Selfbow's and if suitable Staves are available I will purchase them.

As time is limited to approx 16 hour's for Working over the Weekend on these Workshops the budding Bowyer's need to work as efficiently as possible while learning to make a working handle Selfbow. The design of the Selfbow and the selection of Staves of the chosen dimension's should lead too a completed Selfbow in approx 10-12 hour's by a Novice. This should leave time to learn to make Bow String's and to make a matched Wooden Arrow.

First order of Business was to mark the Centre of the Stave. We then marked a Centre Line running the length of the Stave Some People used a Chalk Line and other's measured using Ruler's. It is important when marking out a Bows Design on a Stave that the Limb Tip's align and intersect through the Handle. Slight misalignment is OK as it can be used to add a degree of Centre Shot to a Selfbow and make Arrow Spine less critical. In this way a Stave that is slightly Warped can be turned to advantage the finished Bow.

Video Link - https://www.facebook.com/hndpender/vide ... 134135380/
Tim focused on marking the Limb Profile.JPG
Tim focused on marking the Limb Profile.JPG (186.78 KiB) Viewed 3039 times

We left the Profile a little wider at the tips. This allows you to tweek the Limb Tips later in case it's required to bring the string closer to the center of the handle if the Stave's profile is inadvertently shewed and it leaves extra Wood which can can be removed to alter the Draw Weight of the Bow later in the Tillering Process.
Dirk missing the Workbench - courtesy of the Flooding earlier in the Week.JPG
Dirk missing the Workbench - courtesy of the Flooding earlier in the Week.JPG (124.04 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
Once the Bows Profile has been marked we offered the budding Bowyer's a choice to use a Hatchet to rough out the Stave or too use a Farrier's Rasp to shape the Stave. At this time we accessed each person's Tool Skills as it has a large influence on how much attention the Instructors give the Student and on how long it may take them to make their Bow. We continually accessed each Person's progress and advised to change the direction we are guiding them if the case of any slight error's in Workmanship which may affect the progress of the Selfbow

Colin [Hunterguy1991] dropped by for a visit and too chop out a Pink Ash Stave. A lot of comment was made by the Novice Bowyer's at how skillfully Colin's Bow's Profile was emerging with the Hatchet and a Rasp
Colin chopping out a Pink Ash Stave.JPG
Colin chopping out a Pink Ash Stave.JPG (109.56 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
Over the Years I have been Teaching People to make Bows I have settled on a simple process I call 3,2,1. The Limb of the Bow Stave where Wood is to be removed is divided into 3. The Person then shaves Wood from Section 1. Then moves onto Section 2 but also shaves Wood from Section 1 again. Lastly they move onto section 3 ,shaving Wood off sections 1 and 2 again. This result's in Wood being removed from Section 1 3 Times, Section 2 twice and Section 3 once - hence 3,2,1 ! Along the way you monitor your progress by checking the marked thickness Taper and adjust as necessary.

Depending on how well this process is executed it is possible to remove wood in a controlled manor and effect a uniform thickness Taper which will pay dividend's later during final Tillering and a Selfbow may be Tillered more quickly than if it is Tapered poorly. The 3,2,1 process is used throughout all stages of roughing out a Selfbow. Once the Bows Profile is established we move onto marking the Bow's Limb Taper.

Video Link - https://www.facebook.com/hndpender/vide ... 170096279/

Once the Bows Limb Taper has been marked the novice Bowyer's are again offered a Hatchet to rough out the Stave or too use a Farrier's Rasp to shape the Stave. The Hatchet is faster but less precise in inexperienced Hands so often Novices chose to use the Farrier's Rasp. We could save a lot of time and effort with the introduction of Power Tool's but it is important to learn to use Hand Tool's rather than use Power Tools to rough out a Stave as a greater understanding of the process of making a Selfbow is achieved.
Hard at Work.JPG
Hard at Work.JPG (158.96 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
After the Profile has been adequately shaped the Thickness Taper for the Limb is marked. The next step is to introduce Faceting into the process. Facets are basically the Sides, Edges, Back and Belly of the Stave. If you could imagine the Belly of the Stave, each Edge is a Facet as is the centre of the Belly. As you remove wood from the formally sharp edge the Facet's become wider and you end up with 3 Facet's of equal width on the Belly. In this way the budding Bowyer can form a perfectly flat Belly by removing the Centre Facet or can create a rounded Belly profile by rounding the 3 Facet's
Tim cutting String Grooves.JPG
Tim cutting String Grooves.JPG (148.97 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
The same applies to the Back when the sharp edges are slightly rounded. The Instructors explain this and aid the budding Bowyers in marking them on the Stave and the 3,2,1 process is followed again until the Limbs begin to Bend. Keeping in mind the desired finished Draw Weight of the Bow the Instructors access each Persons progress continually. Often we need to remind the People of the correct way to Handle the Tool they are using as incorrect use almost always result's in inconsistent Tapering. We had to advise a change of Tact was needed to address inconsistent a few times. I was really impressed at how everyone was listening and asking questions along the way.

Video Link - https://www.facebook.com/hndpender/vide ... 177896474/

An understandable Trap many Novice Bow Makers fall into as their Stave begins to look like a Bow and the Limbs begin to Bend is they loose Focus on what they are doing at the time and are thinking about the finished Bow. They get impatient and their Work get's sloppy and before you know it Wood has been removed unevenly and we need to backtrack and fix potential Hinges or stiff Spot's.
Tim removing all the Toolmark's.JPG
Tim removing all the Toolmark's.JPG (139.24 KiB) Viewed 3039 times

None of the People that attended the first Selfbow Workshop turned out a finished Bow but one Fella is very close indeed. We had one Person break a Stave. I assessed the Break and decided too cut down the Stave. Gary then Hand Planned it down so that it could be Tillered into a shorter Bow. This way the original Stave is Salvaged and a negative is turned into a lesson's as too why the Stave Broke. It is very important to study each and every Stave that is Broken so that the reason why can be understood. The young Fella Michael was pretty distressed so I told him I'd prepare another Stave to 3/4's finished and present it to him to finish on another Day.
Gary helping Dirk make a Flemish Twist String.JPG
Gary helping Dirk make a Flemish Twist String.JPG (132.63 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
Gary showing Michael how to make a FlemishTwist String.JPG
Gary showing Michael how to make a FlemishTwist String.JPG (119.76 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
The Instructors are very focused on each person's ultimate Goal - to take home a well Tillered Selfbow, a Tillering String for their next Selfbow, a String for their Selfbow and a Matched Arrow too their Bow. Each Person has differing Tool Skills and sometimes due to their inexperience with Hand Tools some People do not finish their Bow. As the Manager of the Queensland Selfbow Workshop's I arranged with each Person that did not complete their Bow a Day to meet them either at the Venue or at my Home to assist them in finishing the Selfbow Workshop. Everyone is anything from 15 minutes to a couple of Hours from having a Tillered Selfbow.
Gary showing John how to make a Flemish Twist String.JPG
Gary showing John how to make a Flemish Twist String.JPG (173.45 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
Glenn showing John how to check for an even Limb Taper.JPG
Glenn showing John how to check for an even Limb Taper.JPG (136.63 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
John's Stave on the Tillering Stick.JPG
John's Stave on the Tillering Stick.JPG (149.15 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
The next Workshop will be conducted on the 6th and 7th of May at Lakeside Bowmen Scout Road Kurwongbah. Places are limited so get in early and book your Spot. You'll find my Contact details and the Form to book your place on Traditional Archery Australia's Website at this Link.

http://www.traditionalarcheryaustralia. ... kshops.pdf

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any question's

regards Perry
Last edited by perry on Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Outbackdad
Site Admin

Re: The first Traditional Archery Australia Selfbow Workshop

#2 Post by Outbackdad » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:01 pm

What a great story.

Well done to all . :greetings-clappingorange:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:49 pm

Great report; it was good to see the students and teachers in action.

Jeff

hunterguy1991

#4 Post by hunterguy1991 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:30 pm

Great review, information and photos Perry!!

I will be along to the next one even if only for a short while!

Keen as to see the lads bows come to life!

Cheers mate

Colin

Gringa Bows

#5 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:24 pm

Great job guys,didn't recognise Glen at first

perry

#6 Post by perry » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:53 pm

Thank's Fella's, it come together pretty well. Yesterday I picked up the Tools and Workbenches that AP lost before the 1st Workshop and I spent today sorting Tools into individual Tool Boxes and assembling the Workbenches. All kitted up and ready to go. A few little tweek's to the Tillering Boards, String Jig's etc and their will be no stopping us.

It will be good to see see out there again Colin. Last Hunt I got busy chasing Deer and Goat's and didn't get a chance to Cut a Cyprus Stave. Hopefully the week after next I'll get a chance as I need a new Stave for the Abbey.

The help and support we got from People like Colin, Keith and Adrianna Speight, Peter Bell and especially his Wife Jane affectionately known as Sarge with her effort's Catering for a Hungry Crew, Heather Pender and everyone else who's names escape me right now made for a very good weekend and made the 1st Workshop a success.

I have a busy few weeks leading up to that with a Black Powder Shoot this weekend, a Hunting Trip the next weekend and Family stuff and I'm sure I'm not the only one so if anyone want's to come but cant make the 2nd Workshop I will be holding the 3rd over the Weekend of the 3rd and 4th of June. Please contact me if you need to know any further detail's

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin