Bamboo supplier???

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

daggs

Bamboo supplier???

#1 Post by daggs » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:41 pm

Hi all,
Been trolling here and everywhere else for a while and would like to have a go at making my own recurve bow but cannot find the bamboo flooring in vertical grain, anybody got a place to buy some of the bamboo flooring needed to make a bow??? I would like to make a couple for my son and I, any help would be appreciated. All other supplies I will get from Binghams. Everything else wood etc I already have. I am in Cairns and would like to get some somehow.
Thanks
Daggs

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Bamboo supplier???

#2 Post by Bill » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:51 pm

:biggrin: Hello Daggs,
I have been getting all my Vertical Bamboo boards from my local Timber Flooring Joint.
Every so often they have some boards left over from a flooring job.
They have given me a number boards for under 10.00$ on several occasions.
So give your local Timber and Flooring Business a call.
I had to ring several business's around this town before I found one that knew what I was talking about.
So it was all good from there on.
Good luck. :smile:

bigbob

#3 Post by bigbob » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:53 pm

It is very hard to source the vertical flooring as most suppliers have gone to the strand woven or horizontal stuff which is useless for bows.I am lucky in that I stocked up when I( heard some time ago that the vertical was being phased out, at with my supplier any way.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:23 pm

I gave most of my vertically laminated bamboo stock away [about 3 1/2 packs] as I was scaling down my bow making.

Since then I have gone back to using hard rock maple for core laminations.

Hard rock maple has been used for core laminations since about 1950 and still works well today.

Bamboo may have a physical weight advantage in deep cored longbows but with recurve bows there is very little core material by comparison.

It would be a fairly safe bet that a blindfolded archer could not pick the difference between bamboo and a hard rock maple cored bow.

Daryl.

[If you are buying some materials from Bingham's they may be able to supply you with laminated bamboo core material.]
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by greybeard » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:03 pm

greybeard wrote:...........It would be a fairly safe bet that a blindfolded archer could not pick the difference between bamboo and a hard rock maple cored bow...........
Have a read of the following;

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb. ... 1;t=074168

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

flyonline

#6 Post by flyonline » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:10 pm

Bill wrote::biggrin: Hello Daggs,
I have been getting all my Vertical Bamboo boards from my local Timber Flooring Joint.
Every so often they have some boards left over from a flooring job.
They have given me a number boards for under 10.00$ on several occasions.
So give your local Timber and Flooring Business a call.
I had to ring several business's around this town before I found one that knew what I was talking about.
So it was all good from there on.
Good luck. :smile:
Bill

any chance you could point me in the direction of the flooring place? I'm almost local and would like to try a lam bow at some stage.

Ta

Steve