Cypress/mtn ash, horn tips

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

cadet

Cypress/mtn ash, horn tips

#1 Post by cadet » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:07 am

Bit of an experiment and a learning curve for me here:
I had a cypress picket that was just about perfect but for a nasty knot through what would be one mid-limb, so I decided to have a go at laminating/backing with a 4mm strip of tas oak/vic ash on the back, glued with TBIII into about 3/4" of reflex, which has since pulled out to about 1/2" of deflex from tillering. 64" between the bottom of each nock, and sitting at 45 lbs at 25" at the moment, which is long enough for my short arms, and it feels tight and hard, like it's really working. The bottom/knot/dark-tipped limb could probably do with another scrape, but I could chase my tail and end up with splinters too. I also wanted to start playing with some horn tips that were sent to me a while back, so I did a symmetrical nock with a stringer groove of pale horn at the top end and a dark horn tudor-style side-nock at the bottom.
Attachments
cypress ash full draw.jpg
cypress ash full draw.jpg (91.57 KiB) Viewed 2541 times
cypress ash braced.jpg
cypress ash braced.jpg (90.77 KiB) Viewed 2541 times
pale horn tip.jpg
pale horn tip.jpg (100.8 KiB) Viewed 2541 times
dark horn tip.jpg
dark horn tip.jpg (64.21 KiB) Viewed 2541 times

bigbob

Re: Cypress/mtn ash, horn tips

#2 Post by bigbob » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:29 pm

Looks very nice!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

archerark

#3 Post by archerark » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:37 am

looks nice and really like your tillering post that looks really nice to , good to work out side

yeoman

#4 Post by yeoman » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:11 pm

You're right on the tiller, but you're also right on the potential repercussions of trying to do more. I'd call it finished and be very proud to have made such a bo from to very non-traditional timbers.

Great stuff!
https://www.instagram.com/armworks_australia/

Bow making courses, knife making courses, armour making courses and more:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/

Articles to start making bows:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/index. ... /tutorials

perry

#5 Post by perry » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:10 am

coming along nicely Cadet, I reckon a day spent making a successful Wood Bow is more fun than a day spent shooting Holy Black and that's saying something. Years ago I knew a Bloke who had it in his head that Vic Ash / Tas Oak was a suitable Selfbow Timber. Despite the Belly of his Bow continually failing under compression he kept running his D section Bow through the Bandsaw and Laminating on a new Belly of Tas Oak. The Back on that Bow survived many Belly Laminations before he began to twig :Axe . I can see Cypress / Tas Oak / Vic Ash being a durable combination. That reminds me, next Hunt I must get some Cypress Sapling's and see how it goes making Arrow's

I was talking to a Mate yesterday, Glenn Newell. He taught me much about Selfbows and Traditional Archery. Glenn was telling me that everybody who he ever taught to make a Bow taught or reminded him of something he'd forgotten about making Bows and I can say the same goes for me. This is the great thing about Forums like Ozbow. With the likes of Colin, Neil and you Cadet sharing you adventures and continued success with Timbers many have written off it is recorded here for Folks to draw knowledge from

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

cadet

#6 Post by cadet » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:42 am

Thanks for the feedback.
It's gratifying that some far more accomplished and experienced bowyers than I might be enjoying, appreciating, and even learning something from what I'm doing.
Sometimes all I'm doing is having a go and trying something, because no one told me it couldn't work!