Arrow / Fletching is ther ever a need for cammed up arrows

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Ian Turner

Arrow / Fletching is ther ever a need for cammed up arrows

#1 Post by Ian Turner » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:23 pm

Hi all from the responses to my prior posts re fletching colours for hunting most said they used colours that were easy to see and find and see blood colour on but after thinking for a bit (dangerous i know) i thought are there times, or, when hunting certain species, are cammed up arrows required ie green / brown / black fletches shafts etc required.
Cheers

bigbob

Re: Arrow / Fletching is ther ever a need for cammed up arro

#2 Post by bigbob » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:24 am

most animals see colour different to humans, hence the ability for hunters to wear blaze orange clothing as a safety issue. blue is one colour they do see clearly. I would not imagine solid colours on feathers would matter very much at all, providing they weren't a fluro colour.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

cadet

#3 Post by cadet » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:07 pm

There are few times, places and species when, where and what birds can be bow hunted locally*; but with that caveat: most birds' eyesight is exceptionally good, and they apparently do see colour in some way, so some birds' alarm calls - cockies, miners etc - may give you away to other things you might be hunting. That may warrant at least dull colours for fletching.

*While geese are a shotgun-only proposition, the turkeys and peacocks on Flinders island are fair game and seem eminently suitable quarry for bow hunting... I'm going there in January, mostly for the geese, but... :biggrin:

Ian Turner

#4 Post by Ian Turner » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:42 pm

Hi mate that's something I didn't think about; birds seeing you or your gear and giving you up to the critters you are a huntin".
Cheers
IAN

matt61

#5 Post by matt61 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:17 pm

I have super bright feathers and wraps, so I can find them once I have shot and missed :roll: .
But I,m with Cadet and have always believed that birds see colors, so I cover my bright arrows
when hunting. That's why flowers and fruits are bright colors to attract birds to eat them and spread pollen and seeds.
Matt