Limbsavers - Epic Fail!!

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Sabinus

Limbsavers - Epic Fail!!

#1 Post by Sabinus » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:23 pm

Hi Guys,

Thought I'd try some limb savers on my Bear Grizzly today. The home made silencers I had in the string did a perfectly good job - just that a peak in my disposable cash level coincided with a dip in common sense and a visit to the archery store the other day!

To clarify - these are the nifty, sticky backed, round, rubber UFO-looking thingos that are widely reputed to make all limb vibration and string noise a thing of the past when attached to each limb of a recurve bow.

The instructions regarding exactly where on the limb to attach the limb savers are vagueness personified, but I pressed on and installed said limb savers.

5 minutes later, I was ready to test. I took my first shot about 1 hour ago. Many of you may have heard me.

LIMBSAVERS SUCK!!!!!!!!! The resulting noise of my heavy arrows leaving my tuned-up recurve could have woken the dead!! A 44 gallon drum, half filled with nuts and bolts and pushed down a metal staircase would have been quieter. By far the loudest and harshest sound I've heard any bow make this side of a dry-fire..........The limbsavers were installed correctly and symmetrically, and although it's true that different placement of the limbsavers could have resulted in a better result, the fact that the instructions are so non-commital and that the 3M sticky pad allows one stick only renders this a moot point.

The best thing I can offer is that the sticky pads that attach the limbsavers are amazingly sticky! Trying to detatch these $25 idiot-lures and throw them across the backyard took me a solid 5 minutes!

Absolute shockers you guys - in the literal sense! Grab a ball of wool and make some little 5cent pom-pom silencers like archers have been doing since forever. Crikey!

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Limbsavers - Epic Fail!!

#2 Post by greybeard » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:52 pm

I still can't work out why people think they need limb savers????

If the bow has been designed /constructed correctly and the appropriate arrows used there should be no need to attach gimmicky items to the limbs.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

little arrows

#3 Post by little arrows » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:37 pm

I promise Sabinus I am laughing with you - your wonderful description of the barrel, nuts, bolt and staircase had me in stitches, and then the frustration of removal, definitely completes the picture ............ goodness gracious me. :)

cheers
sue

Ruffty

#4 Post by Ruffty » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:30 pm

I have them on most of my recurves and longbows and have found they have reduced noise and vibration/hand shock,will be putting them on the remaining bows

Sabinus

#5 Post by Sabinus » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:38 pm

Oh Daryl, I know mate, but tinkering and experimenting is and should be a valid way to learn the 'Physics of Archery' for and with oneself. I know what my ears and hands tell me about the difference in my Grizzly with and without the 'cat whisker' silencers (significant), so I'll just have to embrace the Bear's 'imperfection' and keep tinkering. Especially when in a nice state of 'tune', I find my 55lb to be a ripper of a bow. For me at least, this carry-on provides lots of the fun, interest, and lots of experience-based learning of archery/bowmaking physics and principles.

perry

#6 Post by perry » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:06 am

Just like a Fishing Lure is designed to catch Fishermen not Fish !

Lots of my Mates use them to great effect and they are the first accessory they buy for a new Bow.

They are actually not a stick and forget accessory, did you re-tune the Bow after installing them? as removing weight from the String as you did when you took the String Whiskers off can have a significant effect on the String dynamics.

Funny story regardless Sabinus

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Ian Turner

#7 Post by Ian Turner » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:59 pm

Hi mate i had some noise issues with my Hoyt Buffalo and had no joy with limbsavers but when i put 2 Hushpuks on WOW; the bow is incredibly quiet now and a complete joy to shoot!
I gottem from Abbey Archery in Castle Hill NSW
Cheers
https://www.abbeyarchery.com.au/p/HPKOV ... +pack.html
PS Hi Daryl you are right of course i dont even have string silencers on the bow i got from you and its quiet as.
Cheers

UPTHETOP

#8 Post by UPTHETOP » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:46 pm

Ian the noise issue with your Hoyt Buffalo may have been the wooden limbs screaming at the metal riser to take some of the shock away, pretty obvious the metal riser didn't listen.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.