Gordon Bo-tuff; ULS vs UL

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Gordon Bo-tuff; ULS vs UL

#1 Post by greybeard » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:44 pm

OMC Bowyer Supply

http://omcbowyersupply.com/

“Gordon Composite offers two kinds of Bo-Tuff fiberglass which is ULS and UL.

There is much miss-information on the importance of “ULS” glass. For one thing, it’s not as clear as the UL glass because of the scrim. The scrim was originally added to counterbalance issues with the polyester resins used in making the fiberglass.

Now, with new and improved epoxy resins the scrim is redundant and not necessary. It has been rumored that the scrim in the ULS glass helps with lateral rigidity, but it does not.

So there is no real advantage to the ULS and it is much more expensive.”

“We believe Gordon’s UL glass is the best in the world for bow building. It is very clear, especially, since we double inspect it for clarity. We also offer “Crystal Clear” glass which is triple checked and certified for nearly, flawless clarity.”

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

bigbob

Re: Gordon Bo-tuff; ULS vs UL

#2 Post by bigbob » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:11 pm

yup part of the reason I now only use Ul and also deal with same company. for a few dollars more they sell 'crystal clear' glass and believe me it is just that, beautiful.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Flatliner

#3 Post by Flatliner » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:31 am

I've only ever used U/L glass, never had any problems with it.

Rob.
The shortest distance between two points is a FLATLINE
ImageEmail; robnicoll(at)bigpond(dot)com
www.flatlinebows.com.au

The Ranger

#4 Post by The Ranger » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:14 pm

“We believe Gordon’s UL glass is the best in the world for bow building. It is very clear, especially, since we double inspect it for clarity. We also offer “Crystal Clear” glass which is triple checked and certified for nearly, flawless clarity.”[/i]

Daryl.[/quote]

That's very interesting Daryl about the 'crystal clear' glass. I went through a time there where I was getting some clear glass that had lots of lines through the length of it and it looked awful when it was glued up. I've actually still got a few lengths of glass here that I just won't use because they're that bad. I might ask about the crystal clear glass next time I order some.

Stuart
Don't practise until you get it right. Practise until you don't get it wrong. Ranger Bows.

Flatliner

#5 Post by Flatliner » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:40 pm

Hey Stuart, the last couple of times I've ordered glass from Binghams I have had a bit of a whinge about an earlier order and added a comment that I require faultless glass because I make a premium product and I wont accept crap glass. It's all been good since then and haven't had to pay any extra.
But then, I do order several thousand dollars worth at a time, maybe that helps :-)

Rob.
The shortest distance between two points is a FLATLINE
ImageEmail; robnicoll(at)bigpond(dot)com
www.flatlinebows.com.au

bigbob

#6 Post by bigbob » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:05 pm

Stuart i have been using OMC for my last few orders and am very happy with their service and products. For a few dollars more per length their crystal clear glass is just that . absolutely clear! Also they stock quite a few colours in their glass as well . Just made a longbow with dark grey on the back and it looks very schmick!
razorbows.com

The Ranger

#7 Post by The Ranger » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:26 am

G'day Rob, I only get my glass from John at Ozbow Industries but I've been told he gets it from Binghams originally anyway. I'm not sure if that's true or not. I've actually been doing a few bows with black and white glass and not many with clear lately although I'm just about to start a clear glass bow today.

Maybe when I'm up to ordering the amount that you do I might be able to insist on only the best and clearest of glass but while I'm only ordering 2-4 strips of glass at a time it's probably a bit hard. Having said that, I still expect to get a good product for the money I'm paying and lately the glass I've been getting have been good. Hopefully the quality stays to a high standard.

And Bigbob, I might have to check out OMC and see what they've got. Thanks for that gentlemen.

Stuart
Don't practise until you get it right. Practise until you don't get it wrong. Ranger Bows.

bigbob

#8 Post by bigbob » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:33 am

i have found OMC will bend over backwards for the client. As an example they will custom grind a few strips as I want them to .035 to suit some lighter takedowns i make.they now stock .030 glass too as i use it for lighter bows as well.Can't recommend them more.The other big supplier I have not had such a happy time with, poor glass, misdirected shipping etc.
razorbows.com

rodlonq

#9 Post by rodlonq » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:23 am

If the scrim is to blame for the lack of clarity in the glass, I wonder why all of the streaks in the glass (at least in my lot) appear to be in the longitudinal direction.

While it may not be apparent for a limb that seems to be purely in bending, the loading produces a shear force in the limb. For an I-beam this results in a lateral shear flow across the flanges (glass in this case). I don't know if the magnitude of the shear force is even close to the yield strength of the material (obviously not in the majority of cases) but i feel comfortable knowing the scrim is there to help. I have always been a belt and braces type of bloke so it could be overkill.

I have seen pictures of limbs that have split longitudinally from the string nocks towards the riser. In most cases it is probably due to poor string groove design with inadequate overlays. However, I have often wondered if ULS glass may have saved the day for those bows.

This is an interesting topic...