New Attila Arcus Mongolian

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

perry

New Attila Arcus Mongolian

#1 Post by perry » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:31 pm

G/Day Folks, I have bought myself a new Bow. A 34# Attila Arcus. I bought it through John McDonald and as usual with John, first rate service and a top Price. The Bow is not high end and the finish could be better but a bit of time with some OOOO Steel Wool and maybe a Satin finish using Min Wax will fix that.

The Arcus came with a Endless Loop String which I replaced straight away with a Flemish Twist String. I lucked out as it takes near enough the same length String as the Grozer does and I have several already made. It shoots bloody well and back to approx 32"was very smooth and did not Stack. The Bow comes with built in String Bridges which is a nice touch and this contributes to a very good Cast. I have no qualms Hunting with this Bow despite it's modest Draw Weight. A well placed Arrow from this little Bow will sort out your garden variety Pig and take Goats all day long.
100_8866-e1343210268103.jpg
100_8866-e1343210268103.jpg (184.79 KiB) Viewed 5331 times
I bought this Bow because my lovely Grozer Bio Composite shattered a Belly Lamination. Not really a surprise as I reckon about 80% of the Grozer Bio Composites I have seen have broken in a similar manor.

I have some Arrows that shoot well out of it and a 1/2 finished period correct Asiatic Quiver I must finish and will make a matching Armguard and Knife Sheath to go with this.

I spent about 45 minutes this afternoon shooting it in the Backyard using a Thumb Loose. I felt reasonably comfortable but in the end shooting with a Thumb Loose proved just as counter productive to my Back Injury as shooting with a Mediterranean Loose. A while back I was greatly encouraged that the slightly different Range of Motion would be easier on my Back but this arvo the Nerves that surround T9 and T10 Vertebra as well as T4 let me know differently.

Never mind, I am vowed and determined to ease back into shooting, see you all about the Traps

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Gringa Bows

Re: New Attila Arcus Mongolian

#2 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:02 am

nice mate

rodlonq

#3 Post by rodlonq » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:37 am

Good to see you are able to participate in archery again Perry. Nice little bow too.

The Ranger

#4 Post by The Ranger » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:39 pm

Nice looking bow Perry. Do you know what it's made out of? I also think you need to get on a horse too and then you'll look spot on with it.

Stuart
Don't practise until you get it right. Practise until you don't get it wrong. Ranger Bows.

perry

#5 Post by perry » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:54 pm

There is not a Horse on this Earth that would want me on it's Back :lol:
P1010035.JPG
P1010035.JPG (87.43 KiB) Viewed 5208 times
I shot the Attila at North Albert this weekend. My first 3DAAA Comp in 8 or 9 Years. When I did my bit the Bow shoots bloody well. I am paying the price, I shot the entire comp 50 targets and I am in a world of hurt right now. I did struggle with the set back handle as the Bow is sensitive to the Grip I used. If I did not get it perfect I threw the Arrow to the left or the Bow made a horrible noise and the Arrow dropped low, I'll get it right in time. That's one thing the old Grozer has over this Attila, the Grozer was flat through the Riser. I put in some top shots mixed in with some good shots, just like the Perry of old but equally had some shockers to. I smashed or damaged 5 of my six Arrows so guess what I'm doing this week.

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

bigbob

#6 Post by bigbob » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:14 am

god one Perry, I am a fan of these types of bows too, having been comprehensively flogged by a mate using one for first time at a trad shoot., damn his hide! They seem to have a disproportionate ability to fling an arrow versus draw weight.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

perry

#7 Post by perry » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:42 pm

Static Recurve's, String Tension and String Angles is all it's about Bob. I have a RER Arroyo Static Recurve and it is without question the finest one piece Modern Recurve I have ever shot. It has very lightweight, steep Static Recurves and a Reflex mid Limb that combine to deliver a smooth draw and incredible Cast. It's let down by a rounded Grip were a squarer section where the hand sits would be far better

My only gripe with this Attila Bow is the set back Handle, very twitchy and hand placement is critical. My Grozer was flat through the Handle so was less twitchy about hand placement. Because it shot much faster it was not an easy Bow to shoot because of 11" of unbraced Reflex and the corresponding Cast. I think down the track I would buy another Laminated Fiberglas Asiatic provided it was Flat or had a forward set Handle like many of the Assyrian type Bows.
images.jpg
images.jpg (2.58 KiB) Viewed 5156 times

- Charles Darwin

bigbob

#8 Post by bigbob » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:58 pm

do you shoot it straight off the hand? Ol' mate made a very small ledge from leather just enough to sit an arrow on and it sure works for him.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

BenBow

#9 Post by BenBow » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:44 am

Perry I hate to hear you're having back trouble. I'll say a few to the Good Man for you.

perry

#10 Post by perry » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:09 am

Thanks BenBow, life goes on Mate, I can put up with a lot when I am doing things I love.

I shot it straight off the Hand Bob, same as a Selfbow. Fletching cutting ones hand on release is due to incorrect Arrow Spine, a badly tuned Bow or poor Form. As you point out though, nothing wrong with fitting a strip of Leather for insurance. I bought a Mitt sort of thing off EBay for a few dollars that I have seen people wearing when they shoot these Asiatics.

From an Anal Archers perspective I don't understand why People would Bandaid mismatched Arrows, Bad Tuning or Poor Form and wear one of these but I get that Folks get a sense of security from them. I'll pull the Mitt I bought apart, tweak some deficiency's in design with it and use it as a pattern to make a few of these to give out to People new to shooting Arrows off their hands when I teach them the slightly different Form required

This is the 3rd Asiatic I have owned and as you say Bob they all seem to have amazing Cast. The Grozer had 11" of unbraced Reflex, a surprisingly well made Laminated Fibreglass Limb Asiatic I bought of EBay 4 years ago and then sold in a moment of madness had 7" of unbraced Reflex. This Attila has around 5" of unbraced Reflex. This much Reflex leads to great string Tension, on top of light Limb Mass it all adds up to good Cast.

Had a shot down at the Grange Bowmen this morning. Took a while to warm up but when I did I put in some top Arrows. Getting along well with the little Attila now.

regards Perry

- Charles Darwin

Guy Layton

#11 Post by Guy Layton » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:02 am

Hi Perry,

I like that bow mate... Have you taken it out for a walk in the bush yet...?

Cheers Guy
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!