spotted gum near completion

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

cadet

spotted gum near completion

#1 Post by cadet » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:16 pm

Got a bit of time and space, so took to the tools again: I've just about finished with a slat of spotted gum ripped from a Masters decking plank. It looks delicate - 76" tip-to-tip, only an inch wide at the handle and 3/4" thick, narrowing and thinning to about 3/8" at the tips - but out to 26" now and pulling well beyond 50lbs, and barely half an inch of set once relaxed. Nearly done; I need to bring the inner limbs around a bit more yet. Anything I've missed?
Attachments
July spotted gun near full drawn.jpg
July spotted gun near full drawn.jpg (146.42 KiB) Viewed 2752 times
July spotted gum unbraced.jpg
July spotted gum unbraced.jpg (117.68 KiB) Viewed 2752 times
July spotted gum full brace.jpg
July spotted gum full brace.jpg (122.07 KiB) Viewed 2752 times

Ryder

Re: spotted gum near completion

#2 Post by Ryder » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:32 pm

Looking good, very interested to hear how the spotted gum shoots! It does look very stiff on the inner limbs to me.

Which limb is the top limb?

perry

#3 Post by perry » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:13 pm

Looks like a length of Spotted Gum Sap Wood, it should work well. I reckon the Tillers Whip Ended Cadet.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

cadet

#4 Post by cadet » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:49 am

Yes, it is whippy, but I'm not unhappy with that as I see what it - and I - can do, and I knew I had to get the inner limbs doing more. I'm surprised - and pleased - how little set it's taken, and that's all in the outer ends. On PA the suggestion is I could take a couple of inches off the ends and get the inner limbs moving more. I haven't decided on an upper or lower limb yet; it's a tad stiff in the right one. The whole thing's a bit of a combination of sap and heart wood; there's some interesting contrast running along much of it.

GrahameA

#5 Post by GrahameA » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:21 pm

Afternoon.

My $0:02

Enjoy the bow. Spotted Gum will make a bow and a good one at that. More are destroyed through incorrect stringing than anything else. The next most common killer is chasing performance and overstressing the bow.

Once you get them working and treat them kindly they last an amazingly long time.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

hunterguy1991

#6 Post by hunterguy1991 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:17 pm

I agree with what you already know, mid limbs need a bit of a scrape, other than that shes a shooter and on the money!

I have made several Elb's from spotty (laminates to up performance a bit but to a safe point) and its a great timber for bows. Easy to obtain and lasts ages if you look after it.

Definitely Agree with Grahame's 2 cents on folks stringing them wrong and trying to over do performance.

Done well mate! Keep it up.