Sending bows over seas- which courier or what method

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

hunterguy1991

Sending bows over seas- which courier or what method

#1 Post by hunterguy1991 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:16 am

Morning all,

Wasn't quite sure where to put this but Im just looking for some info from any of the guys that have sent bows over seas (the states preferably) into which courier you used or how you sent it?

I have a bow ready to be sent off to the US and want to know a reputable courier service for sending it, roughly how long it took to arrive there and the cost (if you don't mind)

Cheers,

Colin

Nezwin

Re: Sending bows over seas- which courier or what method

#2 Post by Nezwin » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:49 pm

I use http://www.packsend.com.au/ for overseas (and domestic, if I ever had a need) couriering. A PVC pipe with end fittings is about $50 but you are assured of a safe package, pretty much.

I've never sent bows to the States but I've sent packages twice to Canada at about $150 a shipment. Once was a tube with two bows, once was a tube with a bunch of aussie timber. It took about 3 weeks each time - once even to the Queen Charlotte Islands, which is impressive. The biggest hold up in the whole process was customs in Vancouver, which took about a week, but they have an excellent tracking system.

I priced a pick up & deliver from the Queen Charlottes to Temora and it was about $250... No idea why it was more, but there you go. I've got to send a bow package to the UK soon and will use http://www.packsend.com.au/ again, for sure.

Good luck!

Edit: I just checked the site for a quote to send to the UK and where you used to be able to get an automatic estimate it seems they now have someone send you an email. I'd still recommend them though.

bigbob

Re: Sending bows over seas- which courier or what method

#3 Post by bigbob » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:55 pm

i have sent about 4 -5 bows to USA, but not for about year now. Last one was a longbow of 68''NTN and included some small pieces of timber for knife scales. Came to about $80 odd . I used DHL I think for last one.I use the cardboard core that curtain material comes in. Stores are usually only too happy to get rid of them , saves them a trip to tip.Google up a site that gives price comparisons between couriers as there is a vast discrepancy, even in domestic use ranging from $28 to $240 for same item.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com