Hickory self warbow- Jake Fenwick and myself

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

hunterguy1991

Hickory self warbow- Jake Fenwick and myself

#1 Post by hunterguy1991 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:25 pm

Evening all,

Haven't been on for a while but I felt like I must show you all this very special bow. Over the last 3 weeks I have had the privilege of having Mr Jake Fenwick stay with me here in Aus all the way from Canada. Jake is a massive English Warbow Enthusiast and actually the reason I started making and shooting them. Search his name on youtube, sit back and relax! he's an absolute credit to the art and skills or warbow shooting.

We planned his trip over late last year while I was not working and I have since picked up full time work so unfortunately I was un able to show him around as much of QLD as I would have liked, however, through my bow making I had finished up with a pretty sizeable stave of hickory that I decided he could make something from while he was here to keep him occupied... his eyes got pretty big when I gave it to him actually haha.

Left to his vises he roughed out what he thought the best use of the stave, 81" ntn, as wide as the board was (maybe 38mm) and full thickness at the handle, probably 30-31mm... and thinned the tips to his usual profile, Slightly different to mine I have to say.

My first every warbow shoot with my group English Warbows QLD was coming fast so Jake got stuck in trying to get it ready for that but sadly came up just short... we got it on the tiller but not finished... at one point the maths said it could go 200lb @ 30"!! . The shoot was a great arvo shooting tho with many laughs and a bit of competition at the end. there will be more to come this year!!

The bow sat for a while as Jake and myself readied ourselves for a trip to Victoria so see some more of the country and catch up with some mates (cheers for the great days down there Mick!!) and unfortunately Jake never got to finish it up... BUT he tasked me with getting a working warbow from the stave so the sunday arvo after I got home I got stuck into it and this is the result...

81" ntn, 138lb @30 " from the belly... and it is a S&%tty 138lbs too!! the last 4-6 inches are a prick!
5inch Brace- 81 inches ntn and 138lb@30 inches true.jpg
5inch Brace- 81 inches ntn and 138lb@30 inches true.jpg (53.48 KiB) Viewed 2642 times
5 and a half inch brace height here. Right limb is top
Almost full draw.jpg
Almost full draw.jpg (83.23 KiB) Viewed 2642 times
An inch shy of full draw here... photo was taken from a video. Arrow is 31.5" long and 81 grams... was flying like a target arrow from a 50lb bow out of this thing!!

Cant wait to test shoot this bow for distance, I think it has some serious potential yet.

When unbraced is has maybe 1/2 in of set in the bottom limb and maybe an inch in the top... Im considering heat treating that out tho and may even shorten it to 78" to fit a string that Jake made and gave to me.

I will get more photos when its sanded and has its horn nocks put on.

Cheers,

Colin

Gringa Bows

Re: Hickory self warbow- Jake Fenwick and myself

#2 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:59 am

lookin good

bigbob

#3 Post by bigbob » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:52 am

Grunt!! Nice work Col.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Nezwin

#4 Post by Nezwin » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:49 pm

You fella's and your big draw weights... :biggrin:

Impressive work, as always. Always good to learn from those overseas, too. Lots of knowledge to be shared. :flags-canada:

cadet

#5 Post by cadet » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:51 pm

That looks like a meaty beast of a bow! Nice back story to go with it, too.

Outbackdad
Site Admin

#6 Post by Outbackdad » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:56 pm

It was a great afternoon, hope to make it to the next one.