Quality 2 Pack Epoxy Glues Are Cost Effective

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Quality 2 Pack Epoxy Glues Are Cost Effective

#1 Post by greybeard » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:30 pm

In the overall scheme of bow laminating quality 2 pack epoxy glues are cost effective if used in a diligent manner.

This exercise I believe illustrates that you do not need to shop around for ‘cheap’.

The cost variation of the different epoxies used in a multi laminated bow is around the cost of a can of Coke.

The cost of laminating a backing to a board stave is negligible.

I used the 60ml measure as I can glue up a longbow blank 1 ½” wide x 70” long with four core laminations and incorporating a glass back and belly using Smooth on.

Postage was included in the Smooth on price whereas the other products were ‘off the shelf’ prices.
Epoxy Costing.jpg
Epoxy Costing.jpg (47.97 KiB) Viewed 3682 times
The suitability of Bote-cote and Norglass for use in bow making is an unknown quantity, I chose these products as they represented the lower price range per volume and reasonably available in larger towns and cities.

At less than $2.00 difference per bow [multi laminated] for a renowned product is good insurance value.

When running my bow making workshops I was amazed to see the difficulty mature adults displayed when trying to spread the glue. One got the impression that they were trying to butter toast.

I purposely stayed away from comparing the viscosity of the various products but Bote-Cote has made the following statement.

“Bote-Cote epoxy resin;

We have made this epoxy resin system a bit more flexible so that it is much less likely to crack on a flexing piece of wood and we have thickened the epoxy resin a little bit so it is a lot easier to get a decent film thickness, especially when applying it to sloping or vertical surfaces.”

I believe that if ‘thicker’ epoxies can not be levelled in the bow laminating process one may face a situation where air bubbles are trapped between the laminations. Thicker glue lines could also result if insufficient clamp pressure is applied.

Lost time and materials are a far greater cost than a couple of dollars of glue.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Nezwin

Re: Quality 2 Pack Epoxy Glues Are Cost Effective

#2 Post by Nezwin » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:53 am

Do you hold shares in Smooth On, Daryl? You sure do like EA-40! I understand it is a great product, one that is specifically formulated for bow making, so for that application you can't go far wrong.
greybeard wrote:I believe that if ‘thicker’ epoxies can not be levelled in the bow laminating process one may face a situation where air bubbles are trapped between the laminations. Thicker glue lines could also result if insufficient clamp pressure is applied.
I use what would probably be described as a 'thick', gel-like epoxy (often cured at ambient temperature for 24+ hrs, or the hot box for 4-6 hrs in winter) and have not had delamination failures with it - laminate bows are my 'go-to' design for a confident finished build. I clamp with a mixture of G-Clamps, Spring Clamps, F-Clamps and Quik-Grips, depending on what I have to hand and what is required. I've never had trouble spreading glue but perhaps that just takes a bit of practice for some people.

Using Titebond III, I have had a couple of delamination failures, one of which was from a young woman drawing a 62" child's laminate bow past her ear - remarkably, the Red Oak backing didn't fail. I wouldn't advise against Titebond though, it's worthwhile for a beginner (who might be making a lot of mistakes) and is perfect for gluing straight-grained backings to boards.
greybeard wrote:“Bote-Cote epoxy resin;

We have made this epoxy resin system a bit more flexible so that it is much less likely to crack on a flexing piece of wood and we have thickened the epoxy resin a little bit so it is a lot easier to get a decent film thickness, especially when applying it to sloping or vertical surfaces.”
Those would be very useful properties in boat building applications. Boards, or fiberglass sheets, or whatever materials you are gluing together, aren't always well-dressed and/or flat and it's important that the gap-filling properties of an epoxy are utilised to their optimum. Sometimes the epoxy might not even be used as a glue but instead as a gap filler, or a bridge across a crack, in which case a good film thickness would allow for one coat applied as opposed to several.
greybeard wrote:The suitability of Bote-cote and Norglass for use in bow making is an unknown quantity
With the greatest respect, that is not an entirely true statement. Perry/Jacko has used Bote-cote and (in his words) has never had a delamination failure. I met another individual in Canberra last year who uses a marine epoxy for laminating bamboo-backings and is very satisfied with the results. I am open about using an industrial epoxy for laminate bows and have never had a delamination failure with that product. EA-40 has much broader usage, and therefore has more of a track-record in making bows.

There's very little to stop West Systems copying the chemical make-up of EA-40 and putting their own name to it, selling it cheaply to the Australian market - the product would be an "unknown quantity" but would be the equal of EA-40. Someone would have to test that though and, unless someone did, no-one would ever use it until it had been "proven". Which is a bit of a chicken/egg situation.

As far as the glue debate goes, it's horse for courses, as far as I'm concerned.

- If you are happy to order online/over the phone and are making multiple bows (potentially with glass belly/back), then Smooth On EA-40 is your best bet. There are ways to obtain EA-40 over the counter, but it is taboo to raise this on this forum.

- If you're making multiple board bows and only need to glue handles & nocks, or perhaps timber backing strips, there's no reason not to use Titebond III (unless you need to speed the curing process, in which case an epoxy & a hot box would be quicker). This product is also easy to source in person at Masters or Carbatec.

- If you want to buy your glue in person (this is a personal preference) and/or might be using it in applications other than bowmaking, then Techniglue or a marine/industrial epoxy might be more suitable. On the other hand, EA-40 might be good in certain non-bow applications, but perhaps not as broadly as Techniglue or a marine/industrial epoxy.

- If you're only making a limited number of bows, or perhaps only one, a 1/2 pint pack of EA-40 might be unnecessary, so smaller packs of an alternative epoxy might be better suited to the individual.

- If you only want to buy Australian-made products, EA-40 & Gordon's Glass aren't an option, so you would need to look at alternatives.

There are many bowyers who make multiple bows of varying materials (composites, timber, bamboo, other) who are happy to order glues specific to that task online or over the phone, which is why for the majority, EA-40 will be a great product. There are other bowyers or people-who-sometimes-make-bows that don't quite fit that description, so other products might be better suited for them. It doesn't devalue EA-40 in any way, or make those who use EA-40 superior, it's just different. Thinking outside the square and accepting that other people complete a comparable end result as your own, only using different methods & materials, is a good way to not stress out about these things!

As my old mentor used to say, "There are many ways to make a chocolate cake, and they're all still chocolate cakes". That guy really loved his chocolate cake.

perry

#3 Post by perry » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:51 am

If there's one thing you can say about my approach to Bow making it's that I pushed the Rules to separate the Lore, BS and facts. If someone said you CANT, that just motivated me to learn why you cant. I also took great delight in showing you CAN!

Having said that, Daryl has made an excellent point here and his experience and common sense approach to Bow Making should be noted. Bit of a clever bugger our Daryl !

I went for Bote Cote because it was in the news at the time for being used in the Construction of a replica Cobb and Co Coach that Bounced it way around Australia. I figured if it could take a pounding like that it must be worth a try. At the time there was nothing else suitable other than Resorcinol which is not suitable for Fiberglass Laminate Bows. Alan Camp, renowned for his Bamboo Backed Deflex Reflex Bows swears by Resorcinol.

I have only used Bote Cote and Techniglue. I could not see any difference in the thickness of the Glue and Glue Lines are as good as any. Both spread evenly and I've never had any issue's with Air Bubbles. I know it's likely way past it's use by Date but I still have the remnants of a Tub of Bote Cote that's 12 Years old and still use it for general Household repairs and the odd Project.

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

indie

#4 Post by indie » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:58 am

Hi Daryl. Question re' the number of bows you will get out of Smooth-On. I bought the 1 pint package (2 tins totalling 1 pint) for $55 from John and his feedback was that this would yield around 6 bows. So around $9 per bow which I still didn't think was too bad. What's your thoughts on how many bows I should get from 1 pint? I would be annoyed to mix up way too much of this stuff and then waste it.

As to Bote Cote I've never heard a bad word against it when it comes to fibreglassing and gluing ply.

Thanks, Brad.

bigbob

#5 Post by bigbob » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:18 pm

Re the six bows Indie, it is rather a relative question.If just doing straight laid longbows, or non ornate [read plain] recurves then 6 bows would indeed be well within the range. however if said bows involved multiple glue lines[ read ornate] and overlays etc, then it might ensue that you might not even get 6 bows for the tins.Bear in mid that i have precise measurements at my disposal too for the gluing of most of the bows I make and measure it all by weight, leaving almost no excess after the layup.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by greybeard » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:09 am

Nezwin wrote:Do you hold shares in Smooth On, Daryl? You sure do like EA-40! I understand it is a great product, one that is specifically formulated for bow making, so for that application you can't go far wrong...........
My post related to the bow making application and not general carpentry, boat building or construction.

If I had labelled the products A, B, C, D, I believe your reply would be vastly different to the one that you posted.

Obviously you missed the point of the post that the cost variation between epoxies is minimal.

Personally I am not really concerned as to what epoxies people choose to use. If they want to do the research and save 50 cents per bow, good luck to them, if it fails tuff luck but hopefully it is a lesson learnt.

Perry,

Your Bote-cote most likely pre dated the ‘thickened’ formula.

Brad,

Bigbob pretty much summed up the situation.

Fibreglass only requires a very thin coat of epoxy to make a successful bond with the core material whereas a bamboo core will absorb more glue than a hard rock maple core. The number of glue lines will also determine the amount of glue required.

The conversion chart shows that one US pint equals 473.176 ml so seven bows is achievable at 60ml per bow given that the material is 70” long and 1 ½ “ wide.

I can cote 1050 square inches of material with 60 ml of glue and still have a little squeeze out when pressure is applied.

Ultimately the number of bows per pint will depend on the number of core laminations per bow.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

GrahameA

#7 Post by GrahameA » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:07 am

Morning All.
greybeard wrote:... Lost time and materials are a far greater cost than a couple of dollars of glue.
Unless people are making bows in commercial quantities - and if they are they will be buying in bulk volume which will makes the prices quoted drastically wrong - glue is a minor cost. If people are concerned about the cost of epoxy then perhaps they should move to making one piece selfbows and not bows that are glued with modern glues.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Nezwin

#8 Post by Nezwin » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:06 pm

Perhaps you're right, Daryl - I did seem to miss the point. Still, it's good to keep an open mind about these things. There are more than one way to skin a cat, as they say, and one sword sharpens another.

Well done on taking the time to put the comparison together, it will be a useful resource for newcomers to the forum :clap:

rodlonq

#9 Post by rodlonq » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:20 pm

Great stuff Daryl, thanks for posting.

I have used Smooth-On for the 20 or so bows I have made, but I mix up about 160 grams in total to do a full length longbow blank with 4 core lams. I get it everywhere and a lot squeezes out of the bow in the first few minutes the pressure is applied, however I haven't had one fail andI consider the cost so far minimal compared to everything else. Between you and Rob Nicoll I am now sure I overdo it, but I'd hate to have to mix up again halfway through a layup.

Cheers... Rod