gear set up and ready to go for some summer hunts

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

bstan86

gear set up and ready to go for some summer hunts

#1 Post by bstan86 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:38 pm

While doing some stump-shooting this arvo and mucking around with the camera I though I'd post up a few pics of one of 2 bows I'll be hunting with over the next few months - bunnies, goats, deer and hopefully a pig. The bow is a 2-peice Toelke whip with lots of bacote, micarta riser and bamboo limb cores. She's 45lb @29.5" and 64" long.

The arrows are Blackhawk vapour 4000 carbons. 100 brass inserts, 125gr steel adaptors with a 190gr point glued onto that - 715gr all up.
Yep that's 415gr up front which gives me a FOC of 27.5% so should have no problems with penetration.
I am loving the rubber blunts for stumping and would love to wack a bunny with one. 190gr Grizzies (and also some big 200gr heads from ACE) are leading the way through (hopefully) a billies/deer's/pigs chest.

Ian Turner

Re: gear set up and ready to go for some summer hunts

#2 Post by Ian Turner » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:10 pm

Hi mate very interested to hear your setup.
With your bow being 45# and such heavy arrows you would have to get almighty close to you intended quarry!
I am an experianced hunter with shootin irons not bows; hope to remedy that in the not to distant future so i am always interested to hear what gear and particular bow weights guys use on our game species.
I mainly shoot 45# in trad bows myself and was interested to know if that is heavy enough for pigs particularly.
I fiure its fine for goats, foxes and smaller species of deer.
I would be interested to hear from bow hunters to hear what they think and use.
Cheers
Ian

bstan86

#3 Post by bstan86 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:31 pm

Gday Ian.

I strongly believe that the arrow is more important than the bow when it comes to penetration on game.

heavy arrows with a strong 2-blade broadhead and high FOC that are properly tuned to the bow are a great start. I base this on a small amount of personal experience and the fantastic penetration testing/studies that Ed Ashby has done over the years.

Some people harp on about "minimum" poundages for certain species which I beleive is the wrong way to look at the whole thing.

I beleive the more sensible approach is to say "what arrow setup at what speed will garuantee good penetration on the game I am hunting."

The bows poundage then becomes less important. High poundage doesn't necessarilly equal high speed. One hunter could be pulling 75lb with a slug of bow, shooting 450gr noodles that are poorly tuned with multi blade broadheads. Another hunter may only pull 40lb but his bow is an efficient design with well tuned heavy arrows setup as above.
I know which one I'd rather use.

The above hypothetical is extreme but it emphasises my point.

As for shot distance yes heavier arrows will drop faster but my personal limit on game is about 15yards - not enough distance to notice any difference in drop.

I am confident that I'll have no problems getting passthroughs on the goats, deer and pigs that I will be after with this setup. I doubt one could cook up a much better performing game arrow than these without some major work. :Bow

Ian Turner

#4 Post by Ian Turner » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:03 pm

Hi mate you make good sense.
Cheers

bstan86

#5 Post by bstan86 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:24 pm

Mate set your 45lb bow up with decent arrows and go ahead and kill deer, goats and pigs to your hearts content. :handgestures-thumbup:

perry

#6 Post by perry » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:22 am

Nice set up Brian. Look forward to hearing about your Hunts.

Ian I've been Hunting with 45# and 50# Selfbows and Arrows in the 600 grain range for a long time. These Bows don't have anything like the Cast that Brian's Tolke Whip has and I've done just fine. I prefer to keep range under 20 Yards but have taken Pigs and Goats out to 30. If I was Hunting bigger Game obviously I'd step Draw Weight and Arrows mass up.

Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Ian Turner

#7 Post by Ian Turner » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:26 am

Hi Perry thanks for telling me that mate.
Cheers
Ian