jarrah burl for riser?

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Charly

jarrah burl for riser?

#1 Post by Charly » Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:25 am

hello from Austria,Europe!!

I have a friend who builds custom knives and he has a nice looking and tense and heavy jarrah burl.I would like to know if this wood can be used for a riser on a reverse handle LB?Any pros or cons on this wood :?:
please let me know your opinion!
thanks alot!
charly

gundy

#2 Post by gundy » Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:31 am

Welcome Charly, I am by no means a wood guru, but I am sure one of the bowyers will jump on this thread soon to answer your question!

I personally could not see any problem with it.

erron

#3 Post by erron » Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:33 am

Charly,

welcome to Ozbow!

:)

I'll let your question be fielded by people like Glenn and Mark, just wanted to say I hope you enjoy the site, and feel free to tell us a little about yourself if you want.

How did you come by Ozbow, by the way?

cheers,

Erron

Charly

#4 Post by Charly » Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:43 am

hi erron!

Yes it´s a nice site 8) and I really enjoy the nice people who write here.
By the way I have seen a link on your site on www.tradarchery.com

I have tons of questions about your native woods(what is ozwood?I got some shafts years ago from an austrian archer)
I´m also interested into broadheads and collect traditional glue on bhds,and even have a few from OZ too(black stump,ribtek,verrel wildcat,davies..)

any help on this jarrah burl wood would help,mark and glenn where are you :lol:
Charly

erron

#5 Post by erron » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:43 am

Ah, Tradarchery, yes! thanks for that.

It's daytime here now Charly, so the guys you want are probably working, but they tend to check in during the day, so you never know...

You should have a few answers by this evening, our time :)

Erron

vegie

#6 Post by vegie » Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:34 am

Charly,
Mark Kimber is in the Northern Territory for a couple of weeks hunting, so you probably will not hear from him until later this month.
Hopefully he will have some good photos of his trip.
Daryl

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:21 pm

G'day Charly,

Firstly I think the Jarrah burl would be alright for the handle in your longbow. However being a burl the wood grain is most likely running in all directions. So long as the wood does not seem brittle where the grain changes directions than I'm sure it will be fine. Jarrah is a very strong wood.

The Ozwood shafts were made from Brown pine also known as Slash pine over here. It is a plantation pine grown here in Australia but actually originates from the USA.

The archer you got the shafts from wasn't Karl or Theo was it? They have hunted with us out here a few times.

Hope this helps. Jeff

Charly

#8 Post by Charly » Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:51 am

>Stickbowhunter

I really liked the ozwood shafts,they were pretty tough and have had a good weight for hunting arrows,and I got them from Peter Stecher,are they still available and where can I get them??
By the way I do know Theo(Schett)but don´t know the other named Karl?(maybe Hofmeister?)
Both have hunted with you?Sounds like you have had a great time,isn´t it?
What kind of licence do I need to hunt in your territories?
bowhunter education :?:

I´ll see if other guys will take commends on the jarrah burl but I think it´s to risky for my LB riser.

thanks for all your replies!!
Charly :lol:

erron

#9 Post by erron » Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:08 am

Charly,

Dennis La Varenne is another bowyer who posts here occasionally. He is too busy at the moment, but when I emailed him on this replied:
Don't know anything about Jarrah at all. Jeff Challacombe would be the best source on
this, although I don't know if he has made any Jarrah handles for fibreglass
bows though. I would have thought that it was a very plain wood for a small
longbow handle. I don't like the idea of using 'burl' wood anyway as they
are very short grained like red gum and fractures or chips rather than
splits. The short curly grain is what gives it the 'burl' or swirl or wavy
grain if I am not mistaken.
Licencing is fairly easy in Australia, ut varies greatly from state to state. I will eventually have a link on Ozbow to all the regulations for each state. For now, it's best to enquire of the people you intend to hunt with, and the relevant state authority. OIthers here may have more detail.

Hope this helps,

Erron

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:14 pm

G'day again Charly,

The Ozwood shafts are not available anymore. The original wood was very good as it was air dried. Later they started using kiln (oven) dried wood. This caused many problems as it dried the wood to much and made it brittle. Adding to these problems they started using wood that was not straight grained.

Karl Hofmeister and Theo Schett are the men I know and also Jorg Painsapp. I have hunted with all these men and we had some great times together. They are very nice fellows. In fact I have hunted with Karl and Jorg a couple of times. Theo was out here again last year hunting but I didn't get to see him but spoke with him on the telephone as he was staying with friends of mine.

I know Peter also but have not met him. I have made bows for all these men as well as some other people in Austria.

In Australia you do not need any Bowhunter education certificates. In Victoria you need a game licence to hunt deer but most of the other states one isn't needed I believe. As Erron suggested it would be best to check with the authorities of the state you wished to hunt in. In Queensland where I live you do not need a hunting licence.

Do you do much hunting? I know you can't bowhunt in Austria but do you go to hungary hunting as I know some of the men do? If you do it would be good to see some photos. Perhaps you could post a couple on here.

It is good to have you on here and I look forward to your input (comments) on here some more.

All the best.

Jeff

Charly

#11 Post by Charly » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:29 pm

>JEFF!
Thanks alot for your informations!
Hunting in OZ is a future project in the next 5 years,first I want to go hunting in USA and Canada,i have a few pals over there who invite me to hunt with them.I have hunted Hungary 4 times yet,I´ll go there in 3 weeks again,for hogs and deer.when i have made a sucessful"harvest"I´ll send you some pics,for sure!
I would love to see your bows!What kind of bows do you build >HH style?laminated or selfbows?
Do you have a website?

I bet you also know Heinz Steiner ,too!He also often hunts in OZ,too.

ok,thanks again!!
you guys over there are really helpful and friendly!
Charly

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:46 pm

G'day Charly,

I do not know Heinz. When you wish to come to Australia you will have to let us know and I'm sure we could arrange to take you for a hunt.

Please post some photos of your hunt. It would be great to see them. It is always good to see different country.

I do not have a web site and I am sort of semi retired from bow making. I make Howard Hill style laminated longbows. If you go to the "Shooting the Breeze" section of these forums and look up the thread called "Ozbow Logo" and open it you will see a photo that has some of my bows in it.

Anyway I hope your planned hunt in Hungary is successful but I'm sure we will talk more on here before then. Jeff

Glenn Newell

#13 Post by Glenn Newell » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:56 pm

G'day Charly, jarrah is a very strong durable timber but the burl could loose some strength because of the cross grain. Whenever I have any doubts about a timber I want to use for a riser I just laminate the riser section through the back to belly section with a solid piece of timber in the centre as in the photos of a couple of risers I have laminated in this manner. The longbow is jarrah and I have just laminated it with the same timber and the recurve I have only laminated the front section with purpleheart for contrast, hope this helps...Glenn...
Attachments
purpleheart jarrah longbow riser .jpg
purpleheart jarrah longbow riser .jpg (85.64 KiB) Viewed 4567 times
rosewoodbacote riser.jpg
rosewoodbacote riser.jpg (96.98 KiB) Viewed 4567 times

erron

#14 Post by erron » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:02 pm

Wow!

drool drool drool........

:? :? :?

So many bows, so little time!

Erron

Charly

#15 Post by Charly » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:11 pm

Glenn I´m very impressed about the beauty of the bow pics you have posted here.I bet they perform pretty good as well !
Are the prices on your site in US$ or OZ$ :?:
Thanks again for your help!
charly

Glenn Newell

#16 Post by Glenn Newell » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:30 pm

Charly, thanks for the kind words Charly, I think my bows shoot wel. The bow prices on my site are out of date even the bows, I have new models now. Since the site went up geocities wont let me upload any more information so I am going to have to host my own site and get my new site up and running, I keep forgetting about it, busy with other things at the moment. Prices for all of my one piece bows are $800.00 Australian.