Latest installment in my learning curve

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

cadet

Latest installment in my learning curve

#1 Post by cadet » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:32 am

Red oak board (I know you're a failing business, and losing money hand over fist, but thanks Masters!), 70" ntn, 50lbs at 28". 3/4" x 1 1/8" at its thickest and widest, tapering down to 3/8" x 1/2" at the tips. The last one I made from a similar board feels like a sluggish brute - much wider through the hand, and heavier limbs; this feels light, lively, lithe. After roughing with a draw knife, I did most of the work using a concave-bladed spokeshave, so it has a rounded belly.

I feel like I'm really starting to work out my own style, techniques, tools etc. My latest toy - a Shinto saw rasp - came in the mail yesterday. I'll see what I can do with it next. I really need to get some split staves or saplings now, too. I feel almost like I'm cheating using dressed boards (but I do want to see if I can get some laminated bamboo floorboards from somewhere)...

After some discussions here, I also had a quick and rough play yesterday with a Murray pine fence picket yesterday, making a wide, flat, short bow (more like a crossbow prod than a bow) that drew a lot of weight at a short draw - 4' long, pulling 60+lbs at 15" - just to see what it - and I - could do. It's lovely stuff to work, and smells beautiful. I made it explode this morning, but it's a timber with some promise, I think...

UPTHETOP

Re: Latest installment in my learning curve

#2 Post by UPTHETOP » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:22 pm

Great curves there cadet, red oak board, there must be thousands who started with them. Keep up the good work.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

hunterguy1991

#3 Post by hunterguy1991 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:40 pm

Couple of little minor stiff spots here and there but overall a nice bow, well done!! :D

Those rasps are amazing and you will be glad you got it straight away.

yeoman

#4 Post by yeoman » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:48 am

The Shinto rasp is my favourite wood-removal tool. Right after the bandsaw. :biggrin:

That's a nice bow, with good curves. Very well done!

I quite like your tillering board too. I've been toying with the idea of doing something similar - a bolt to anchor the string that moves down drilled holes rather than cut grooves.
https://www.instagram.com/armworks_australia/

Bow making courses, knife making courses, armour making courses and more:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/

Articles to start making bows:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/index. ... /tutorials

Nezwin

#5 Post by Nezwin » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:19 pm

Great bit of tillering there - you're picking it up much quicker than I did/still am!

I like the tillering board too, lovely bit of sapwood/heartwood grain there and as Yeoman pointed out, a nice, innovative mechanism with the bolts.
cadet wrote:After some discussions here, I also had a quick and rough play yesterday with a Murray pine fence picket yesterday, making a wide, flat, short bow (more like a crossbow prod than a bow) that drew a lot of weight at a short draw - 4' long, pulling 60+lbs at 15" - just to see what it - and I - could do. It's lovely stuff to work, and smells beautiful. I made it explode this morning, but it's a timber with some promise, I think...
I managed to take a look at the Murray Pine fence palings at Bunnings this morning and saw that almost all the boards they had in our local store were rife with knots. I'd be worried about putting them under load, after what I saw. I'd also advise using a backing strip of some kind with it unless you can source a clean stave. To be honest, given its 'soft but tough' kind of temperament, I'd say Red Oak might do up to a certain poundage. Probably never going to make the fastest, highest performance bow but it is easily available materials at an affordable cost for beginners. What's to lose? A few hours work and a few dollars in material. But you'd learn plenty that can be used on more expensive materials...

Hamish

#6 Post by Hamish » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:38 am

That turned out pretty well. 1 &1/8" pretty narrow for oak, did it take much set?