Custom order for a tall fellow

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

hunterguy1991

Custom order for a tall fellow

#1 Post by hunterguy1991 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:15 pm

During the Abbey Medieval festival this year I was approached by a chap and asked to make him up a custom English longbow. My response was "sure mate, love to make one for you"... So we started talking about timbers etc and getting a design for the bow going. We settled on a back and belly combo of Hickory and something "red" in colour, and as he is a rather tall chap and pulls about 30 inches to his lip I decided to make it 78" ntn... challenge was the weight of just 40lbs at that 30 inches...

Originally I wanted to get some Red Ironbark to use but a call to the timber supplier I usually go to for it crossed out that plan... so I rummaged around in my timber stock and found a piece of Massaranduba that I had purchased a while back for a warbow belly (that I hadn't get around to yet), but it was a beautiful red colour (almost like medium rare steak from the oxidation layers either side of the board). Having seen this stuff used in high end longbows in the UK I figured why not give it a crack.

This is the result of my work on it so far... Still have to get some black horn (or a good substitute) on it but I'm pretty happy with the shape and how its shooting.
11846176_987777817939941_944364540_n.jpg
11846176_987777817939941_944364540_n.jpg (98.74 KiB) Viewed 3867 times
Feels a little odd pulling a bow that's only 40lbs like a warbow :biggrin:

This is a look at the colour the Massaranduba took with a fine sand up to 360 and a satin wipe on finish (only first finish coat). Can just make out the thin oxide layer before it goes into the hickory back... Arrow pass is horn offcut from a set of warbow arrows, my own personal shape.

Colin
Attachments
Arrow pass and satin finish.jpg
Arrow pass and satin finish.jpg (81.76 KiB) Viewed 3867 times

Gilly

Re: Custom order for a tall fellow

#2 Post by Gilly » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:06 am

Nice looking bow!
Bit light but each to their own!

perry

#3 Post by perry » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:07 am

Looks good Colin. Liking the Inlay's your doing now. I have not used Massaranduba. Last night I was Driving home from Gary P place after he Bandsawed some Red Oak Boards into Staves for me I was thing of making a Bamboo Backed Bow from the lesser quality Stave and my thoughts drifted to a Recurve then a Trilam. I like it's fine Grain, might have to buy some Massaranduba and see what happens

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

hunterguy1991

#4 Post by hunterguy1991 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:01 am

Cheers Gilly, I was surprised to hear he only wanted 40lbs too but I guess its better than being over bowed.

Haha so many options Perry! :biggrin:

I think bamboo on some Massaranduba would make for a very quick combination. I have a little 71" Mass stave here that I think I will put some bamboo on. Originally it had a maple back but another experiment I did with maple back failed so I decided to scrap it and sawed it back off.

Only place I know of to get it up here is Matthie Timbers down in Yatala tho but for decking boards its quite cheap. Im actually heading down there to get more Lemonwood and a few boards of it on Monday, I can grab a board or 2 for you as well if you'd like??

Cheers,

Colin

Gringa Bows

#5 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:09 pm

Looks good Colin

perry

#6 Post by perry » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:31 pm

Thanks for the offer Colin. I am going to the Hinterland Shoot on the Friday and coming Home on the Monday so I'll drop by myself on the way past.

I was thinking today there was a tall Fella I was speaking too at the Abbey, I wonder if it was the same Fella - so many People ask me if my Bows are for Sale or if I could make them one every time I go to the Abbey. I'll be Teaching a Young Fella to make a Bow who asked me at the Abbey down at the Hinterland Shoot.

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

hunterguy1991

#7 Post by hunterguy1991 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:20 am

Perry,

Could have been the same bloke Perry, but who knows...

He came and spoke to me several times about getting one and the last time must have decided it was a worthwhile investment so he ordered one.

I'm aiming to be down there around 9:30-10:00 on Monday. Bit of a hike and lots to do that arvo so I figured I'd get down there early and get home.

Cheers,

Colin

Jgam

#8 Post by Jgam » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:26 pm

By way of follow up to this post, the 'Tall Fellow' is very happy with his bow. You did great work Colin and I am honoured to own it.

As to the 40 pounds ... well it's bang on for me as a learner. Nice that I dont have to walk so far when I miss ;) when I get better, Ill get something that throws them further.

Thank you for the advice and great work Colin, you are a champion and happy to reccomend your work to anyone.

P.S. Perry that was me stalking you asking lots of questions, I tend to stick out in a crowd. As always expect more questions to follow.

hunterguy1991

#9 Post by hunterguy1991 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:36 pm

Great to hear from you John and I'm glad the bow is going well. We'll get you into a new set of matched arrows and some instruction if you want and we'll get you shooting small change in no time :biggrin: