"Not so Red" Ash ELB

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

hunterguy1991

"Not so Red" Ash ELB

#1 Post by hunterguy1991 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:07 pm

Evening all,

Just thought I would share this bow that I made recently for a fellow down in Canberra that does re enactment. It is made of Red Ash although its completely white, no trade mark pink heart wood like the red as usually has. Probably the cleanest stave I have ever seen, I don't think it had one knot or pin in the entire thing... Bow is 73" ntn and pulls 55lb@28 true. I don't have a tiller photo of it unfortunately but I can tell you that it is very pretty when its bent :biggrin:
Brace.jpg
Brace.jpg (52.83 KiB) Viewed 4074 times
Brace
Arrow pass.jpg
Arrow pass.jpg (90.98 KiB) Viewed 4074 times
Inlayed horn arrow pass
Bottom nock.jpg
Bottom nock.jpg (110.64 KiB) Viewed 4074 times
Bottom nock
Top nock.jpg
Top nock.jpg (107.31 KiB) Viewed 4074 times
Top nock
Specs.jpg
Specs.jpg (77.79 KiB) Viewed 4074 times
Info and logo...

Let me know what you guys reckon.

Colin

bigbob

Re: "Not so Red" Ash ELB

#2 Post by bigbob » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:41 pm

Looks great to me Col. :clap:
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

hunterguy1991

#3 Post by hunterguy1991 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:45 pm

Thanks Bob :smile:

Roadie

#4 Post by Roadie » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:26 am

Looks Great Colin, well done. Cheers Roadie

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by greybeard » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:00 am

hunterguy1991 wrote:.... Probably the cleanest stave I have ever seen, I don't think it had one knot or pin in the entire thing......
Well done Colin,

I would have to agree, the stave must have been a pleasure to work. Was the timber harvested locally?

Have you used more of an ellipictal tiller on this bow?

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Gringa Bows

#6 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:33 pm

looks the goods mate

hunterguy1991

#7 Post by hunterguy1991 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:21 pm

Thanks guys!

Daryl, the stave was cut about 20 mins from home so yes, pretty local. I have other staves from the same block that are pink in the middle but this one is not which was a bit of a surprise. Looks very nice tho I think. I have another one or maybe two staves from the same tree but Mick has dibs on one of them.

Tiller on this one is just very slightly "whipped" like myself and Dennis like them, it is only very slight though.

Seemed to put an arrow out pretty well and was smooth to shoot. Took a little more set than I'd have liked but that's the nature of split staves I guess... Unless you get a reflexed one its more than likely going to set a little.

Colin

gazza

#8 Post by gazza » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:35 am

I like your work mate, :clap: gaz.
The older i get the better i was

cmoore

#9 Post by cmoore » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:35 am

Nice lookin little :? bow :lol: .... love that arrow pass to, as for the set you know what they say, set happens
Set Happens

Dennis La Varenne

#10 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:31 am

Sigh !!!!

Don't worry, Colin, it will colour up later with exposure to light to something like a butter colour. I like it because it is really light in the hand. And . . . I like your arrow passes too.

Those I have made from Red Ash were good shooters and usually took from 1.5 - 2" of set with normal use, but the cast remained pretty good. Your can always heat-reflex them straighter though. I have done it like this diagram below with good effect. It looks like an odd way to do an ELB, but it stiffens the centre section and forces the ends to whip a bit more.
Centre-reflexed-ELB-former.jpg
Centre-reflexed-ELB-former.jpg (25.42 KiB) Viewed 3966 times
On my <45lb ELBs here, centre bending as above usually puts on 5 to 8 lbs of draw weight which is a pretty high proportion of the original draw weight and doesn't seem to overload the centre of the bow as a full reflex of the limbs would. The bow comes out with a straighish centre section when braced which bends late in the draw.

But as this present bow is bespoke, there is no point in modifying it to increase draw weight I suppose unless the buyer asks for that down the line.

With full reflexed ELBs, when you draw them out on the tiller, they seem to compress from the middle outwards, ie start bending in the middle and move outwards from there. With a more whip-ended bow, the limbs appear to me to 'peel' down from the tips first and bend progressively more toward the centre with the centre just bending at the very end of the draw. This is purely an observation and I could be imagining it, but I think it is observable by others. It is just that nobody else has spoken about it or noticed it.

By the way, did you use the 'under-bark' surface as your back or did you quarter saw it to boards? I have always used the underbark surface even with the dimples you often find along that surface.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

hunterguy1991

#11 Post by hunterguy1991 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:25 am

Cheers Dennis,

I might give that heat treatment a go on a light chinese elm bow... the elm I have seems to be very "slack" and sets a lot but I have heaps of it now so its worth trying I guess.

I know exactly what you mean when describing the draw on the bows, my 100lb lemonwood belly warbow is definitely whipped because you can actually feel it bend in you hand very late in the draw. My Ipe belly one is a little harder to feel the bend (usually too focused on getting the bloody thing back all the way haha)

I used the under bark surface on this one as with all the others I have done so they have a proper 14th century look and feel. I have a little 45lb one I kept which is rapidly becoming one of my favourite bows I have. The belly on it is bright pink while the back is mottled with some of the dark brown cambium in patches that I didn't bother to scrape off. I think it looks really cool!

Colin

Hamish

#12 Post by Hamish » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:01 pm

Cool. Nice work as usual Colin.
Hamish

Dennis La Varenne

#13 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:56 pm

Colin,

I don't know how I came to think of the process, but musing about how the outer limbs ought to move with the Autocad part of my brain, I thought that because some of the ELBs were made by others and began to bend in the middle too early on in the draw, I thought that if I was able to stiffen the mid-section some way, it may help them bend properly and it worked. At brace height, they have a straightish middle section sort of like the pictures on the dust jacket of Robert Hardy's book - "Longbow".

I can't help but think that the Tudor bowyers wouldn't have thought of something like this. They obviously knew about the use of heat to shape limbs.

With the Ipé bellied bows, I think all you would achieve more whipping at the ends would be if you left the middle a good bit thicker than you would otherwise (about another 3 or 4mm) which would force the ends to peel back. I have a couple made in the US which have the same bending issues. They are OK as shooters, but I think they would be better if the ends whipped more.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.