Hwarang Traditional Korean Bow

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Axe

Hwarang Traditional Korean Bow

#1 Post by Axe » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:11 pm

Another bow to the collection...Recently purchased this 60# Korean bow from Soul Archer,( a member of this site) first impression it appears as a toy...far from the truth, once strung it is very obviously no toy and the delivery of a 650grn arrow is very impressive

I'm not into shooting the Korean way ie thumb ring ect, shooting R/H recurve style and 3 under, the only similarity is that the top of the bow hand is the arrow rest.

The first few shots at 25m were somewhat ordinary, once I adapted to the bows weight (or lack of) and the "funny" grip things improved quickly, within 30 minutes I was shooting was well as I do with my recurves.

Very smooth to draw, extremely quiet, no hand shock, a real pleasure to shoot and I believe it is certainly a top hunting bow. I previously owned a Grozer Hungarian bow whilst very efficient certainly not in the same comfort zone as this "Little Korean"

My buying experience with Matt was like the bow, as smooth as silk and very pleasurable, I am happy to recommend Matt as the go to person for anyone interested in purchasing a "horse" bow

The blurb and picture below is sourced from Soul Archer's web pagehttp://www.traditional-archery.com.au/

The Hwarang Traditional Korean Bow is created using new methods to replicate as closely as possible the traditional horn bows of ancient Korea.
They are built with several layers of Bamboo and strips of high quality carbon fibre encased with fibreglass to give the bow great speed and flexibility. It is then finished with a gloss strip of black paper pulp on the belly and birch bark on the back to give it an authentic and traditional look. These characteristics make the traditional Korean bow a tool that has great longevity and speed to rival horn bows yet being easier to string at 50" in length and only weighing 320 grams
Attachments
HwarangStrungAndUnstrung2Small.jpg
HwarangStrungAndUnstrung2Small.jpg (147.54 KiB) Viewed 3299 times
"If not Despicable, what then is Self Glorification?" Omar Khayyam

"natura non contristatur"