Asiatic Inspired Quiver and Armguard

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

perry

Asiatic Inspired Quiver and Armguard

#1 Post by perry » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:21 am

G/Day Folks, last week I was thinking about what Gear I was going to take down to the Gold Coast Renaissance Fair on the 2nd and 3rd of May when I realised I did not have a vaguely period Quiver.

I was going to make a absolute copy of this type of Quiver which was used by some of the Eurasian Steppe Nomads but I did not have enough Leather to cut the stabilizing Straps and Belt Loops this type Quiver uses Traditionally so I made it with a Shoulder Strap. I Stitched a Gusset into the Base and Mouth of the Quiver which creates a tight spot in the centre of the Quiver which holds the Arrows snugly.

This is a Chrome Tanned Embossed Leather, not recommended - Crikey it was hard on my Round Knife and a new Stanley Knife Blade hardly touched it. I do need to Sand the Edges smooth but it's presentable enough until I get some more time.

The Weeping Heart Decoration on the Quiver and Armguard I used is not a Period Pattern or even from the Steppe Region but it was the neatest looking Decoration I could think up with the small amount of Fake Snake Skin I had on hand. Its not a love Heart "OK" :wink: Its a "Weeping Heart" which represents a Linden Leaf. The Linden tree is a source of magical power in Germanic/Scandinavian folklore. They where commonly used on Hunting Bags, Tomahawk and Pennsylvania/Kentucky Long Rifles of the 18th and early 19th Centuries and came to be regarded as a good luck Symbol. Again not Rennaissance Period but it looks right at Home on the Quiver.
PB020019.JPG
PB020019.JPG (200.24 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
regards Jacko
Last edited by perry on Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Mick Smith

Re: Asiatic Inspired Quiver and Armguard

#2 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:35 am

Well done Jacko! Excellent workmanship as usual. The weeping heart design is a new one on me. It's tradition is interesting.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

rodlonq

#3 Post by rodlonq » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:16 am

Nice work Perry.

UPTHETOP

#4 Post by UPTHETOP » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:30 pm

Always good to see your work posted Perry, cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.