Smooth On EA-40 supplier, Brisbane

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Nezwin

Smooth On EA-40 supplier, Brisbane

#1 Post by Nezwin » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:40 pm

For those interested, I've just sourced a Smooth On EA-40 supplier in Brisbane.

CG Composites - http://www.cgcomposites.com.au/ - are in Hendra, not far from the Airport/Nudgee/Nundah area and easy to reach from the Gateway Motorway. They don't list Smooth On on the website, but they are the official Australian suppliers for all their products. They don't currently have any EA-40 in stock but they have assured me if there is interest, they will stock a few One Pint packs. If John McDonald is unable to source any from overseas, or you need some in a hurry, or you prefer to buy face to face and live in SEQ, these guys might be a good avenue. For those in FNQ, or even the rest of QLD, shipping would be marginally cheaper too. I dealt with Phil, who is a super-nice guy and very interested in how their products are used in a bowmaking capacity.

They also stock a similar gel-epoxy in a 800ml kit, which is slightly cheaper and I'll be testing in the next 6 months - life is busy at the moment so It's going to be a while before I get a chance to make any bows! From the MSDS and a look at physical data sheet, I'd say it would be on par or better than Techniglue, but only a real test will tell. Edit: It's far better than Techniglue.

On a side note, Matthei Timbers in Yatala will have Lemonwood boards in stock "in the next few weeks". They're willing to ship nationwide but a minimum board length of 2.4m.

Edit: Compset Datasheet added. Note that the Tensile Strength (30MPa) exceeds the Smooth On EA-40 Tensile Strength (3,400 psi/23.4 MPa) by almost 30%. Curing time can be shortened with application of heat in excess of 30 deg.C. Not expecting to change those who see no reason to change from EA-40 but anyone looking to save a dollars and try something new, this is an inexpensive trial supporting Australian business.
Attachments
Compset121AdhesiveGel.pdf
(126.62 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
Last edited by Nezwin on Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hunterguy1991

Re: Smooth On EA-40 supplier, Brisbane

#2 Post by hunterguy1991 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:59 pm

Good to know!! Thanks mate

Colin

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:38 pm

Nezwin wrote:.....They don't currently have any EA-40 in stock but they have assured me if there is interest, they will stock a few One Pint packs.....
John McDonald has been keen supporter of Traditional Archery for many years and I will continue to support him when ever I can.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

bigbob

#4 Post by bigbob » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:44 am

I echo Daryl's thoughts. John is a terrific guy to deal with and an avid supporter of all things trad, and a very generous person with it.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Nezwin

#5 Post by Nezwin » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:19 am

greybeard wrote:John McDonald has been keen supporter of Traditional Archery for many years and I will continue to support him when ever I can.
Absolutely! I wouldn't expect anything less. But it's always good to have a back up plan, also.

rodlonq

#6 Post by rodlonq » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:56 am

On a slightly different note, Smooth-On have updated their brochure with more information relevant to bowyers. It has some interesting points to consider.
EA40Brochure.pdf
(288.93 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
Cheers... Rod

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by greybeard » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:49 pm

Hi Rod,

Thank you for the update; I have downloaded the file.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by greybeard » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:03 am

Nezwin wrote: They also stock a similar gel-epoxy in a 800ml kit, which is slightly cheaper and I'll be testing in the next 6 months -something new, this is an inexpensive trial supporting Australian business.
For the sake of saving a couple of dollars on epoxy why would one jeopardise around $100.00 worth of materials and several hours of preparation time just to lose the lot because of a short pot life epoxy.

Smooth On works out to cost about $7.00 per multi laminated glass bow which to my mind is low cost insurance.
Nezwin wrote:.......Compset Datasheet added. Note that the Tensile Strength (30MPa) exceeds the Smooth On EA-40 Tensile Strength (3,400 psi/23.4 MPa) by almost 30%....
On the downside Compset 121 Gel has a pot life of 45 minutes at 25 degrees c./100ml.

Smooth On has a pot life of 2 hours at 23 degrees c.

When gluing up multiple laminations 45 minutes is not a great deal of time and when the ambient temperature is around 30 to 35 degrees c. pot life diminishes rapidly. :twocents-mytwocents:

Daryl.
[Ascham]

Nezwin

#9 Post by Nezwin » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:34 am

Nezwin wrote:For those interested,
I'm glad Smooth On EA40 works well for your applications, Daryl, you're obviously very passionate about its use and in defending your current supplier. This thread was not an attack on Smooth On products or who you source these from, or even an in-depth comparison of EA-40 compared to other epoxies available, it was merely a knowledge sharing exercise. It would seem you have little interest in changing your epoxy product, which is fair - if it's not broke, don't fix it.
greybeard wrote:For the sake of saving a couple of dollars on epoxy why would one jeopardise around $100.00 worth of materials and several hours of preparation time just to lose the lot because of a short pot life epoxy.
"Jeopardise" is perhaps quite strong language - these products are successfully used in other industries! Similarly, a bamboo-backed, Spotted Gum stave represents less than $20 materials and only a few hours work, which may be an option for testing new products. Once upon a time someone tested EA-40 for the first time, taking that risk.

The pot life, strength, etc, of the Compset works well for me (glue ups rarely take more than half an hour and ambient temperatures here are only over 30 deg. C for a limited period of the year) and this is a product which has a broad range of uses outside of bowmaking. I share this knowledge for the benefit of those looking for multiple solutions to different problems - as my old mentor used to say "There are many ways to make a chocolate cake, but you always end up with a chocolate cake". He was referring to road construction, but the sentiment remains and can be extended to many other areas, including terminology for describing bows.... Bowmaking groups overseas are generally very accommodating of innovation, or at least attempts toward this, and I believe that's a great attitude to have toward these things.
Nezwin wrote:If John McDonald is unable to source any from overseas, or you need some in a hurry, or you prefer to buy face to face and live in SEQ, these guys might be a good avenue.
For those looking for something a little different from ordering an American product from a sole supplier in Australia, this may be an avenue to follow, if that person is interested. I'd encourage anyone with the remotest of interests to do their own research, speak to the experts and maybe do some testing. There are benefits & risks to both sides of the decision, you clearly have a very strong opinion on using only the one product sourced from one person. Best of luck.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by greybeard » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:20 pm

I realise that this discussion is about ‘horses for courses’ and that different applications have their own set of circumstances.
Nezwin wrote:...it was merely a knowledge sharing exercise.....
Would you agree that the following is sharing 'relevant' knowledge.
greybeard wrote:......On the downside Compset 121 Gel has a pot life of 45 minutes at 25 degrees c./100ml.

Smooth On has a pot life of 2 hours at 23 degrees c.....
In bow making I have probably spread more litres of Techniglue CA that had a pot life of 45 to 50 minutes than most on this site.

There was never an issue with bond strength which has been mentioned in previous posts, more complex glue ups took two to three days using Techniglue CA whereas now with Smooth On I can glue up in the morning,
cook the bow whilst having lunch and when cooled to ambient temperature carry out some gentle shaping on the blank in the afternoon.

The following links are to a small sample of bows that I made using Techniglue CA.

I think you will agree that they are a little more complex than gluing a piece of bamboo to a stick of spotted gum.

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8371

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10142

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11211

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6387

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5341

Additionally I ran about twenty bow making workshops using Techniglue CA and approximately one to one and a half days were added to each course.

For simple glue ups I do not have an issue using Techniglue CA, why have this product on the shelf as well when Smooth On covers all of my needs including general wood working when PVA glues are not suitable.

I am not biased against short pot life or cheaper epoxies or trying other brands, it is just that short comings if any should be discussed so people know what the broader issues are at hand.
Nezwin wrote:......you clearly have a very strong opinion on using only the one product sourced from one person....
Quite the opposite, I was buying Smooth On direct from the U.S.A. When I heard that John was putting this product into stock I swung my purchasing to him.

By the way I have two suppliers of Techniglue CA within a five minute drive and a third within a fifteen minute drive from home.
Nezwin wrote:......Best of luck.
Luck has nothing to do with it, purely a matter of careful planning and choosing the correct products for the task at hand.

Daryl.
[Ascham]