Is cordovan the ultimate?

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

Is cordovan the ultimate?

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:50 pm

I'm of the opinion that perhaps cordovan is the ultimate material for giving the smoothest possible release. Many of the most expensive target tabs have a cordovan face.

I'm looking to buy a new tab and I want try something a bit different, something that might help to make my releases just that little bit smoother. Unfortunately, cordovan tabs can be hard to find, more so if you're looking for one that's not specifically designed for Olympic target archery. I'd prefer a simple design that doesn't incorporate any metal in its construction.

So, what's out there? What's the best tab on the market, in your opinion? Does anyone know of a source of cordovan leather or tabs? I know that 3 Rivers Archery in the US have a couple in their range, but they're not cheap, especially when you've taken the postage into consideration.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

longbow steve

Re: Is cordovan the ultimate?

#2 Post by longbow steve » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:40 am

Hi mick, cordovans tough and slick but I always stuck with the blackwidow tabs for economy. Consider trying some slick serving materials like what is used on compounds and Olympic recurves, I think you will be surprised. Steve

bigbob

#3 Post by bigbob » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:04 am

Mick have a look at a Saunders Paktab, It has several different layers of material all interchangeable including a sort of cordovan. I just bought one off Fleabay for $20 delivered.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:53 am

longbow steve wrote:Hi mick, cordovans tough and slick but I always stuck with the blackwidow tabs for economy. Consider trying some slick serving materials like what is used on compounds and Olympic recurves, I think you will be surprised. Steve
Hi Steve. That's something I hadn't thought of. I considered the benefits of a slick tab, but I didn't take into consideration that there's always at least two surfaces interacting to cause friction, the other being the serving on the string.

I think there's definitely an opening here for some enterprising entrepreneur to market their reduced friction strings as 'super slick', or something similar. I'd buy one, seeing as I don't make my own strings.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Mick Smith

#5 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:01 pm

bigbob wrote:Mick have a look at a Saunders Paktab, It has several different layers of material all interchangeable including a sort of cordovan. I just bought one off Fleabay for $20 delivered.
Yes, I checked them out Bob. They look good, especially for in wet conditions. Being as inexpensive as they are, I might buy one to try it out for myself.

I've always used Neet tabs. I can't complain about they way they have performed. They're made of a leather they call 'super leather', whatever that is. I always thought it was cordovan, but apparently it isn't. I'm not dissatisfied with my current tabs, I just thought there might be something better out there. I'm always keen to try to partly make up for my lack of natural ability by using some sort of an innovation. :smile:

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:25 pm

I've just bought myself a Bateman cordovan tab on fleabay for $27 (inc postage). It's coming from the US.

http://www.ewbateman.com/FingerTabs.htm

bigbob

#7 Post by bigbob » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:16 pm

I've always used a calf leather tab but tried the paktab last weekend with my recurve and was very happy with it.
razorbows.com

Mick Smith

#8 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:59 pm

Well, I got my Bateman cordovan tab in the mail yesterday. It's very nicely made. I can't get over just how smooth and perfect the cordovan appears. It doesn't even look like leather. It looks more like smooth plastic.

I couldn't wait to try it out, so I took it out to my backyard range for a few shots. It felt great. It was very smooth. It felt a little strange, being different, but I was getting good clean releases with it.

The big problem was though, my arrows were landing almost exactly 12 inches to the left of the bullseye at 20 yards. The groups were nice and tight, but they just weren't where they should be.

I dragged out my old tab and sure enough, my arrows hit in and around the bullseye. I went back to my new cordovan tab and they were hitting 12 inches to the left again. Bummer!!

I checked both of the tabs to see if one was thicker than the other, but they seem to be pretty close for thickness. My old tab is very worn. The surface where the string is released is smooth enough, but the tab is very soft. The new tab, by contrast, is very hard. I'm hoping that I'll be able to shoot my new tab in eventually. I think it will start to shoot better with some use. I hope so, anyway.

slowhand

#9 Post by slowhand » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:37 pm

well in my opinion that's like choosing a condom
either ..you shoot or you don't
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwCdO0rYQQY
Trickster and seductress we
tapdancing on mine field every day...
in volatile sway...
Young and Freud would kill each other over us,
yet somehow we just stay...
on our way...

Mick Smith

#10 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:45 pm

The new tab is slowly coming good. I gave it a good soaking in Dubbin. This seems to have made it more like my old tab to use. I was hitting dead centre this arvo with it.

bigbob

#11 Post by bigbob » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:05 pm

I really like mine Mick, especially the slick 'plastic' piece
razorbows.com