REALLY BIG Warbow!!

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

perry

Re: REALLY BIG Warbow!!

#31 Post by perry » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:22 pm

Top effort again Colin, love reading of your Endeavour's. We gotta meet one day, only live down the Road from each other

Folks you can buy a Tool that closely resembles the original Bowyers Floats from http://www.flybowshop.eu/epages/6454470 ... cts/702978.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

hunterguy1991

#32 Post by hunterguy1991 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:14 pm

Cheers Perry!

Would love to mate! We will have to catch up at the Abbey medieval festival this year... I'll be there with a group but would love to get together and have a good chin wag about all things archery. If not before then.

Thanks, I will have a look at those tools (and probably acquire one haha)

Colin

Dennis La Varenne

#33 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:42 am

Colin,

2.5" of set is not a bad amount for a bow of just shy of 7 feet long. As a percentage of the bow's length, it is only a poofteenth over 1%, but shifting only 6.95 grains per 1 lb of draw weight to 200 is a bit disappointing I suppose.

Any chance of trying some American Red Oak for a belly material, or even some Red Ironbark, but just enough to have enough to take the compression load even if it stops about 6 or 8 inches short of the end of the bow tips.

I have a few very small Victorian style ELBs here which are hickory backed Red Oak and have a very good speed even with 10gn/lb arrows.

I like the look of that float that Perry found too.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

hunterguy1991

#34 Post by hunterguy1991 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:51 am

Dennis,

Im happy with how it came out, even it though its not throwing them the kings distance. I have many plans and timber combinations left to try out for something really special and even with this wood combo I think if it had been reflexed on glue up it would perform far better.

I should be getting some Lemonwood in the next few weeks and will be making up some thing around 90lbs with that to hold onto for a friend til he has some cash.

Aussie hardwoods in reflex I think would make crazy fast bows so that's also on the cards down the track.

Colin

Dennis La Varenne

#35 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:53 am

Colin,

I bought a 2-specie 72" stave from Rudderbows years ago comprised of 5/8" thickness of Hickory and 3/4" of Ipé. I am thinking of making a draw-weight suitable for me ELB with 3/8" thickness of HIckory and the belly side having all the taper in the Ipé to take the compression even if the Ipé doesn't run the full length of the belly.

I would be interested to see what happens. If I could, I would substitute a even lighter tension strong wood ahead of the Ipé, reason being to have as low possible inertia in the limbs for possibly greater limb-tip speed. It has possibilities.

At any rate, you are happy with your bow as is and so would I be too. They are just so impressive as they are.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#36 Post by greybeard » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:20 pm

Dennis La Varenne wrote:I bought a 2-specie 72" stave from Rudderbows years ago comprised of 5/8" thickness of Hickory and 3/4" of Ipé. I am thinking of making a draw-weight suitable for me ELB with 3/8" thickness of HIckory and the belly side having all the taper in the Ipé to take the compression even if the Ipé doesn't run the full length of the belly......
Dennis and Colin,

Matthei Timbers list Ipe in their product range.
Ipe.jpg
Ipe.jpg (129.72 KiB) Viewed 3228 times
From the Wood Database.

Common Name(s): Ipe, Brazilian Walnut, Lapacho
Scientific Name: Handroanthus spp. (formerly placed in the Tabebuia genus)
Distribution: Tropical Americas (Central and South America); also farmed commercially
Tree Size: 100-130 ft (30-40 m) tall, 2-4 ft (.6-1.2 m) trunk diameter
Average Dried Weight: 69 lbs/ft3 (1,100 kg/m3)
Specific Gravity (Basic, 12% MC): .91, 1.10
Janka Hardness: 3,510 lbf (15,620 N)
Modulus of Rupture: 25,660 lbf/in2 (177.0 MPa)
Elastic Modulus: 3,200,000 lbf/in2 (22.07 GPa)
Crushing Strength: 13,600 lbf/in2 (93.8 MPa)
Shrinkage: Radial: 5.9%, Tangential: 7.2%, Volumetric: 12.4%, T/R Ratio: 1.2

I will be visiting Matthei timbers later in the week regarding the Degame for using as stave material and checking out other hard woods for use as handle material or verneers under clear glass in the plastic bows.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

hunterguy1991

#37 Post by hunterguy1991 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:11 pm

Cheers for that Daryl!!

Will definitely have to get myself some of that as its a great belly and core wood... so much timber so little cash :confused:

Gilly

#38 Post by Gilly » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:37 pm

That is one nice looking bow!
Will you be coming down to the Hunter Valley for the Gathering in June? There will be plenty of similar sized bows around, the more the merrier!

hunterguy1991

#39 Post by hunterguy1991 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:15 pm

Thanks Gilly!!

Probably not unfortunately... I don't have the cash spare to make trips around for shoots or displays. Would like to shoot the big bows with a bunch of people at some stage tho.

Id like to arrange some big warbow shoots but the country being so big its hard to get everyone in one place at the same time.

Colin

Gilly

#40 Post by Gilly » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:40 pm

That's a shame about the gathering, it is a heap of fun but not so good when you have to try to pull an arrow out of a 3D target that has been put there by a 100lb + warbow!

hunterguy1991

#41 Post by hunterguy1991 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:42 pm

I hear you on that one!! :biggrin: They really drive the arrows home.