Hunting Bag and Centre Seam Moccassins

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

perry

Hunting Bag and Centre Seam Moccassins

#1 Post by perry » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:53 pm

I've been making a few of these 18th Century inspired Hunting Bags of late and I am finally getting the hang of it, this is the best one yet ! I was going to use it as my personnel Bag but reckon it's better put to it's intended use. Had a couple of Hunts last Year wearing these and they have proved very handy, I hate stuff in my Pockets and sometimes it is inconvenient to have something stached in your Pack. The Flap is a crappy piece of Veg Tanned Belly I chose for it's character and the Bags body is Goat Hide. I bought 3 Goat Hides at Packer Tannery for $35 each. Lovely soft Leather not as drag through the Woods Tough as Kangaroo but at 1/3 the price for Premium Leather you cant complain.
P8120013.JPG
P8120013.JPG (238.07 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
Been meaning to make a set of Moccasins for Years and finally got around to it.
001.JPG
001.JPG (156.86 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
To be honest I am not thrilled with this Style of Moccasin to Walk in. Just too used to lace on fitted Shoes I think. Maybe my pattern needs a little tweaking but I have a very high Arch and I had to leave the Moccasin opening quite long otherwise I could not get my Foot into them. The Leather Lace just does not snug them up enough despite not being able to get my Foot into them wth the Lace loose. I think I will Stitch a hard Sole onto them and see if this helps

I recently bought a first edition [1969] copy of CRAFT MANUAL of NORTH AMERICAN INDIAN FOOTWEAR george m.white. I was struck with the similarity of many of the Mocs in this Book to Shoes worn through out Europe and into Asia. It has a Moccasin style the Apache used that is so similar to the Shoe worn buy the Mongol's it highlights the Asian origins of the North Americans. They will be my next pair.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

cmoore

Re: Hunting Bag and Centre Seam Moccassins

#2 Post by cmoore » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:14 pm

Love the look of that hunting bag! Not to keen on the Moccasins, very fryer tuck looking. I got a funny feeling Colin will be eyeing those Moccasins :lol:
Set Happens

bigbob

#3 Post by bigbob » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:13 pm

Great work as always Perry. Cant say the moccasins ring my bell either, simply on aesthetic appeal but I can appreciate the workmanship. Bag looks excellent too.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

little arrows

#4 Post by little arrows » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:02 pm

ooooo... darhling, I love the matching handbag and shoes..... :lol:

cheers
sue

perry

#5 Post by perry » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:19 pm

Thanks for the comment Folks.

Sue, I think they compliment my Eyes- what do you think :wink:

cmoore, Friar Tuck indeed - if only you knew Me :lol: :lol: Centre Seam Moccasins to the best of my Knowledge have been used throughout Europe for Millennium as well as being wide spread in America.

Bob, yeah I hear you Mate, next pair will likely be the Apache Pattern. Note the similarity between the Mongol type Pattern.
SHOE47.GIF
SHOE47.GIF (3.89 KiB) Viewed 2700 times
SHOE46.GIF
SHOE46.GIF (4.21 KiB) Viewed 2700 times
I am working towards having a 100% pre 1900 Equipment Hunt, was planned for Easter but I won't be ready by then but certainly later this Year

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

UPTHETOP

#6 Post by UPTHETOP » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:09 pm

Jacko is good to see you back into the leather again thanks for posting.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

perry

#7 Post by perry » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:15 pm

Thanks Wayno, Whips next I think :lol:

I have never stopped making stuff , just stopped selling. Selling Leather Craft took the Joy away for me and turned it into Work. Still have a lot to learn, branching off into making the incidental Gear that nobody gives much thought too, just goes out and buys it. Have been making Leather Canteens, different Historic Knife Sheaths, have some Clothing Patterns also. I'll be making a Pack soon and just spent a while looking for pre 1820 Hat Patterns

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin

UPTHETOP

#8 Post by UPTHETOP » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:03 am

Jacko I have been looking for a while for some hunting moccasins as we mainly use the old Dunlop volleys for our pig hunting up here as they are quiet and easy to slip of for the last 10mtrs or so. I have always thought why don't I use Mocco's as they would do the same job and be super quiet.
I found this photo and like the style so one day will have a crack at making a pair for shore.
Attachments
hunting moccosins.jpg
hunting moccosins.jpg (145.11 KiB) Viewed 2652 times
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

perry

#9 Post by perry » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:36 pm

I was thinking earlier today I might make a set of Pucker Toe Moccasins like you have pictured Wayno. The they are easier to stitch 2 Piece or a Hardsole too also. Way back I had a very similar pair I liberated from my Old Man, they where great to Hunt ! Track down a copy of CRAFT MANUAL of NORTH AMERICAN INDIAN FOOTWEAR george m.white, lots of Patterns in a handy little Booklet. Many of the Free Patterns on the Net have been lifted from this Booklet

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin