Lamelle Panel, Has Anyone Used It For Laminations?

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Lamelle Panel, Has Anyone Used It For Laminations?

#1 Post by greybeard » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:15 pm

It would appear that vertically laminated bamboo flooring is producing mixed results when building bows to specified draw weights.

My last box of boards was from a different manufacturer and the results were disappointing.

I wanted to build a bow for stock in the 55 to 60 lb range. Using my recorded data on core thicknesses I ground the core laminations.

To my dismay the bow came in at 46# @ 28”.

I have a sample of Lamelle and it appears to be a lot harder than the standard vertical flooring; when you rap on it with your knuckle it has a sharper sound whereas the flooring is more of a dull sound.
Lamelle Bamboo Panel.JPG
Lamelle Bamboo Panel.JPG (83.12 KiB) Viewed 1680 times
Admittedly the Lamelle may be a little more expensive but if it gives you consistent results it may be a blessing in disguise.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

bigbob

Re: Lamelle Panel, Has Anyone Used It For Laminations?

#2 Post by bigbob » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:21 pm

My anecdotal experience entirely unquantified is that it does seem superior to that of regular flooring. My only gripe was that the roughly 1/4'' thick sheets that I had, it was too thin to rip in half and needed a heck of a lot of grinding to reduce it to lam thickness
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:31 am

Thanks Bob,

It is a pity the panel is only 4mm thick, the sample I have is incorrectly marked at 5mm, one will probably end up with more bamboo dust than laminations.

I might make the journey to Bamboo Australia and pick up a few panels when I get back from Wisemans Ferry. :auto-camptrailer:

The only way to prove a point is to make a couple of bows and compare the results.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

longbow steve

#4 Post by longbow steve » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:21 am

Hi Daryl, I have found no difference in using the lamelle panel to cutting up the flooring except the extra cost. I have only used the Peerless bamboo flooring. Cheers Steve