Where to get rawhide in Aus?

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

JoeLethbridge

Where to get rawhide in Aus?

#1 Post by JoeLethbridge » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:54 pm

Hello again,

I've had quite a few bows break on me recently (stiff knot syndrome) and I was wondering if there were any trad archery dealers in Australia that sell pre-cut and thinned rawhide backing strips? If not, is there anyone on the trade blanket that willing to sell/trade me some?

Joe - a desperate, stubborn bowyer.

perry

Re: Where to get rawhide in Aus?

#2 Post by perry » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:05 pm

Packers Tannery at Narangba just North of Brisbane stock Kangaroo Rawhide - about $57 each and perfect thickness for Backing Bows, they do Mailorder. You can also buy large Rawhide Dog Chews that are tied to resemble Bones. Pot Luck sometimes but generally you will get enough to back a couple of Bows. The Rawhide is thick though and needs to be sanded thinner. You Soak these Rawhide Bones in Water so you can untie them and then Sandwich them between to Boards to Flatten them out. Ask about at decent Leather Suppliers/Shops, sometimes they stock Deer Rawhide.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Roadie

#3 Post by Roadie » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:42 pm

Rawhide now there was a CLASSIC Show, Cheers Roadie.

Stu Ballz

#4 Post by Stu Ballz » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:55 pm

You might try Bridsall Leather not sure if they stock it but they might send you in the right direction if not

http://www.birdsall-leather.com.au/

Stu Ballz

#5 Post by Stu Ballz » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:30 am

The Ranger

#6 Post by The Ranger » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:10 pm

You're showing your age there Roadie. :lol:
Don't practise until you get it right. Practise until you don't get it wrong. Ranger Bows.

gunk

#7 Post by gunk » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:40 pm

Tandy leather have rawhide in a number of forms - hide or part of - or as strips
Try http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com.au

JoeLethbridge

#8 Post by JoeLethbridge » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:43 am

Thanks guys, this will help a lot for me. If i buy a sheet, then I might be able to spiral-cut some strips for a rawhide string.

Joe

perry

#9 Post by perry » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:41 pm

When I make Rawhide Cordage I use a Saucer or Dinner Plate to draw a circle on the Rawhide. Bigger Circle = longer strips of Rawhide. I then use a Pencil and scribe a Line around the circumference say about 3/16th to 1/4' Wide and cut nearly all the way around. then scribe another line and cut it and so on and so on. Makes for a more even width continuous Strip of Rawhide. Cut it thinner if you want to make a multiple Strand String.

Soak the Rawhide in Water until it's Pliable. Then I tie one end to something solid. next I cheat a bit and put a Cup Hook in my old Egg Beater Hand Drill, sure beats twisting it by hand. Stretch the Wet Rawhide quite Tight and twist the Rawhide until it Kinks, pull out the Kinks and twist again. You will get a feel for how tightly to twist the Rawhide Cordage. Tie the Drill end to a solid object so the Cordage is taunt and allow to Dry. If you used a 1/4" wide piece of Roo Rawhide it should be strong and thin enough to use as a Bow String.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin