Do you prefer 3D targets or paper animal targets at events?

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

3D or paper targets - do you care?

I'd only attend a trad shoot that offered 3D targets exclusively.
7%
I would prefer to attend a trad shoot that had mainly 3D targets.
41%
I'd like a shoot that offers a mix of 3D and paper targets.
4%
I prefer a shoot that has mainly paper animal targets.
No votes
I would only attend a trad shoot that had animal paper targets.
No votes
I don't give a rat's about what the targets are. It doesn't matter.
24%
Just so long as the targets are a challenge, that's all that matters.
24%

Total votes: 46

Mick Smith

Do you prefer 3D targets or paper animal targets at events?

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:46 am

Once again, just for fun.

Stupid question? Yes probably, but there hasn't been much activity here on Ozbow lately and it might be mildly interesting to see where we stand on this subject.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Mick Smith

Re: Do you prefer 3D targets or paper animal targets at even

#2 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:08 am

The results so far aren't exactly what I was expecting. I thought the last two options would have received a lot more hits than what they did.

I suppose it's only natural that the majority said that they would prefer a shoot that had mainly 3D targets. There's something about 3D targets that is very appealing. They look very natural and they make a lovely noise when your arrow hits them.

Having said that though, this would not deter me in the slightest from attending a shoot that had just animal paper targets. Some clubs can't afford to have 3D targets, as a good set of 30 or so targets isn't cheap. I've found that I can have just as much fun shooting at animal paper targets as I can have shooting at 3D targets. Given the choice though, I would take 3D targets every time. It can be a lot easier to set up a 3D target to make a very interesting and challenging shot, whereas a paper target requires a butt that's a lot heavier and much more awkward to move around. It can be done though.

One advantage of shooting at animal paper targets is that a near miss will still end up sticking in the butt, whereas a near miss with a 3D target means looking for an arrow.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

little arrows

#3 Post by little arrows » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:11 pm

Hi Mick,

I am more surprised that no one has typed any comments to go along with the survey as with the previous ones. 3D targets were what actually separated the Trad shoots from the "other" shoots - otherwise it would just be another paper target round, which is the same as every other paper target round. Remembering the original Trad shoots which started over 20 years ago now (I think, - it is more than 15 years that's for sure), had the only 3D targets around.
3D's can be set up with or without backstops, as you said paper targets are a little harder. Having said that, some "clubs" are able to mix the two and still not use the same same course all the time and make the whole thing interesting.

cheers
sue

perry

#4 Post by perry » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:15 pm

I just saw the Survey, 3D Targets are nice but not all Clubs or Individuals that are fortunate enough to be able to host a Shoot can afford 3D Targets. Paper can be fun so long as a little imagination is shown, 3D Targets can be dead Boring when no imagination is shown. I fondly remember making 3D Targets from multiple layers of Cardboard or roughly Carved Foam that was wrapt in Hessian and painted and Lakeside Bowmen using life size Hand Painted Jungle Book character Targets, tremendous ! To me the support a Club offers it's Trad members goes a long way towards what makes a successful Trad Shoot and one I will come back too, not so much if 3D Targets are used.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

The Ranger

#5 Post by The Ranger » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:58 pm

When it comes down to it I probably wouldn't care too much either way. I just like the 3D targets as they're more realistic. But as Perry said, some clubs aren't fortunate enough to have all targets 3D due to cost.

Stuart
Don't practise until you get it right. Practise until you don't get it wrong. Ranger Bows.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by greybeard » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:46 pm

You may select up to 2 options

That is really going to cloud the issue.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

CraigH

#7 Post by CraigH » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:46 pm

Not too concerned about targets, but the 3Ds are good.

For me all practice is good, and I need all the practice I can get, LOL.

flyne

#8 Post by flyne » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:58 pm

As long as im having fun I dont care lol I prefer noveltys over both paper and 3d but 3d's are a close second
Jim
good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement
Nothing is easy. That's why it's called hunting, and not killing

Gringa Bows

#9 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:30 pm

Dont give a rats what the targets are,i especially like targets that bleed :lol:

rodlonq

#10 Post by rodlonq » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:55 pm

All targets are fun. 3d targets are the trickiest to adjudicate scores IMO. Unless the target is absolutely side on and on level ground at close range, the point of entry for the arrow to hit the heart may be nowhere near the marked kill zone. i.e. an animal that is quartering away down in a creek shot from up on the creek bank. The point of entry may be very high towards the back of the ribs to be an effective shot, whereas an arrow in the marked kill zone would result in a moderate injury and a long chase. I think the scorers on these targets needs to use common sense rather than the kill zone as a guide for a score. It doesn't matter to me either way, I will try to hit the target in the right place for a quick kill even if it will result in a nil score ;-)

Cheers... Rod