My Fire Kit and new Leather Canteen

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

perry

My Fire Kit and new Leather Canteen

#1 Post by perry » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:16 pm

G/Day Folks, I'm planning a pre 1900 Equipment Hunt and I am chipping away making / buying the required Field Kit.

The Leather Bag is Scrap I salvaged from an old Leather Lounge. The Flap and Dangle Loop are cut from Offcuts I had. I made a Round 4 Plait Draw Cord and used a Sawn piece of Antler to Tension it. A Mexican Braid covers the Edges. The Brass Tinder Box came from http://www.mopokesstockandtrade.com/ and John Pedigrew sold me the Steel Striker http://www.hornmaster.com/

The Char Tin is a Lolly Tin I burned the paint off. I made the Char Cloth from a Cotton Sheet. The Tow [ teased out Sisal Rope ] came with the Striker. It won't be kept in the Kit, other uses for it. The piece of Rose coloured Stone, it might be Quartz I picked up out Bush throws better Sparks than the Black Flint that came with the Striker. I Charred a couple of Slices of that Fungus that's pictured here to see if it would take a Spark, no luck. I will keep an Eye out for Punk Wood to Char to see how that goes. The Cotton Bag is for collecting Tinder I may find on the Trail. Caboolture Bowmen has a lot of Fat Wood and I'll gather some next visit. Fat Wood is formed when a Pine Tree is Dying and as a last ditch effort to stay alive draws it's Sap into the Core of the Tree. When the Tree Dies and the Wood rots away the hard Core is highly Flammable and a small piece burns quite a long time, handy for starting Fires when Kindling is Wet etc.

I made this Canteen from a 2nd grade piece of Veg Tanned Football Leather. It holds a bit over a Quart. Its a bit small for the upcoming Hunt but none the less it is a handy size and is good experience for making a larger Canteen

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

bigbob

Re: My Fire Kit and new Leather Canteen

#2 Post by bigbob » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:22 pm

Great stuff Perry. Interesting info about the 'fat trees' too, as I had never heard of such a thing.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

perry

#3 Post by perry » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:35 pm

Isn't it great what you can learn through Traditional Archery Bob :biggrin:

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Gringa Bows

#4 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:51 am

Good job Perry,only thing missing is the Muzzle loader :biggrin:

perry

#5 Post by perry » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:23 am

Actually Rod, it's not but we don't talk about such things here :lol:

regards Perry

- Charles Darwin

kerrille

#6 Post by kerrille » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:43 am

love it perry,you are definitely a man of many many talents.

...nev...
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

bigbob

#7 Post by bigbob » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:23 pm

kerrille wrote:love it perry,you are definitely a man of many many talents.

...nev...
Hear hear have to agree. :biggrin:
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

rodlonq

#8 Post by rodlonq » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:26 am

Nice kit Perry. Interesting find with the rose quartz being a better spark source than black flint.

I can understand the attraction to a muzzle loader, but a self bow is a lot lighter.. hehehehe :wink:

Cheers... Rod

perry

#9 Post by perry » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:32 am

Agreed Rod, the Flintlock weighs 6# so it's lighter than many Kitted out Modern Compounds, still rather carry a combined 3# of Selfbow, Arrows and Quiver. At present I'm 1/2 way through making a set of Bamboo Arrows to go with the Selfbow I made a while Back, lovely little Bow classical Gull Wing Shape at Brace due to a bit of Deflex in the Handle. Plan is this pre 1900 Hunt will be a Bowhunt, just waiting for the Weather to Cool down so Water will not be as large an Issue.

I pick up every Glassy Rock I see and try it against the Firesteel. It is surprisingly easy to find Rocks that throw a Spark in the Australian Bush. I'd like to find some Iron Pyrite for a 1900 BC Hunt

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin