Timber supplier

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Feral

Timber supplier

#1 Post by Feral » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:19 pm

Hey all, anyone know about this mob?
http://mattheitimbers.com.au/species/
They list lemonwood and ipe.
Cheers

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Timber supplier

#2 Post by greybeard » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:13 pm

Thank you for the link.

I must admit I did not know that this company existed but I will check them out as I am running low on bow making material.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Gringa Bows

#3 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:25 pm

thanks for that mate,................not far from your place Daryl,let me know what they're like please if you go there :wink:

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:26 am

I will endeavour to find out more about them, it would appear that they are an indent agent.

The following came up during my web search;

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2010-07-14/a ... ame/905000

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Feral

#5 Post by Feral » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:53 pm

Interesting report Darryl
He was right about Tassle Oak though.
Also, I thought his product sheets were fairly comprehensive..

Hamish

#6 Post by Hamish » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:14 am

Should be good. Just a matter of finding straight grain boards. Pacific Jarrah(bulletwood) is good, takes a bit of set, but works well. Ipe awesome if you can get a thick enough piece. I find that much of the stuff in Aus has been pre milled into flooring, decking etc, by the time the grooving is removed you might get 15mm thick, from a 19mm board.
Lemonwood is good too, but takes set. All these timbers work best as belly wood, when backed with straight grained wood or boo, and given some reflex in the glue up.

Happy bow wood hunting.
Hamish.

Nezwin

#7 Post by Nezwin » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:52 am

The Capirona they have listed as 'Lemonwood' is not the same as the Degame that was popular in the early half of the 20th century, which was sourced primarily from Cuba I believe (I'm sure Mr. La Varenne can shed more light on this). However, from this article - http://owic.oregonstate.edu/sites/defau ... lrp125.pdf - (ctrl+f to search and typing "degame" will bring you to the relevant section) demonstrates that they are very close.
B. FRANCIS KUKACHKA wrote:The information here is based primarily on Degame, but because of the almost identical nature of Capirona, the data should be applicable to the latter species
From memory of reading Bowyers Bibles, the tight grain structure made this an excellent selfbow material, albeit one prone to set. I spoke with Jamie McDonald from Ravenbeak Natureworks about using this material and he likened it to Yew sapwood. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on some to see how it goes!

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by greybeard » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:33 pm

The address shown on their website is a residential address, hopefully they have a warehouse in Brisbane.
116 Pagan Road Yatala Qld.jpg
116 Pagan Road Yatala Qld.jpg (100.32 KiB) Viewed 3700 times
Daryl.
[Ascham]

Feral

#9 Post by Feral » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:26 pm

Hmm, I'm a bit lost. The address I saw was Dixon Rd Yatala. The street view clearly shows a large warehouse.
:confused:

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by greybeard » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:54 am

I found their address at the bottom of their blog.

We Are Moving;

We are moving to our new premises at 21 Dixon Street Yatala.

As of 1st of September we will be trading out of the new building, it is a 2300m2.

They are just down the road from my archery club.
21 Dixon Street Yatala.jpg
21 Dixon Street Yatala.jpg (158.24 KiB) Viewed 3668 times
Daryl.
[Ascham]

little arrows

#11 Post by little arrows » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:10 pm

let us know what it's like Daryl, and we can check it out when we come down.

cheers
sue