English Warbows?

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Angry Wombat

English Warbows?

#1 Post by Angry Wombat » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:44 pm

G'day all,
I've been on the look out for a heavy poundage war bow in Australia but as yet haven't been able to track one down in Australia
Apart from the prolific custom bowyers from Europe that charge $1200 there doesn't seem to be all that much around.
If anyone knows of some local bowyers or Aussie companies that produce heavy warbows (80# and over) i would greatly appreciate the advice
Cheers, James

Roadie

Re: English Warbows?

#2 Post by Roadie » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:57 pm

You can expect to pay that much here in Aust.
There are some very good Bowyers here, no doubt some one will get in touch.
Good Luck. Cheers Roadie.

bigbob

#3 Post by bigbob » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:15 pm

I believe Nick Linten of Norseman bows may make warbows amongst other types. I could be erroneous in that but i think there are some bowyers that frequent these pages who might answer your call
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:49 pm

This link should give you some basic information.

http://www.geocities.ws/norsemanbows/

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

mikaluger

#5 Post by mikaluger » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:42 pm

Hi James,

I have an 80lb Hickory backed Ash and a 75lb Tri Lam in "stock" if your interested. Not Yew!!!! Well below $1200. As warbows go anyway!
You can PM me if you like.
Hunterguy1991 (Colin) might be able to help you with something heavier. I will be making some more Heavy Yew Bows in the near future, The cost of a full length Yew stave is quite high, and that is just to get it here!

Cheers,

Mick.

hunterguy1991

#6 Post by hunterguy1991 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:01 pm

Hi James,

Firstly, definitely have a look at Mick's Ash English longbow as its a beauty!

I myself am very much into the heavy English warbows and have started making them. Check out my thread "Ironbark Warbow" to see what sort of bow I'm making.

I have a couple of bows on order at the moment but would be very happy to chat and help you out.

What draw weight are you looking to shoot?

Cheers for the mention Mick :wink:

Colin

littlejohn59

#7 Post by littlejohn59 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:25 pm

hey James.
I have shot some of Mick's elb's. He puts a lot of hard work into his bows. He is very very particular, fussy and fastidious with each one. You would do well with anyone of his bows. Yep I would recommend him.

Dennis La Varenne

#8 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:38 am

James,

Please do not take this as a personal go at you, I am speaking generally, but I gave away the making of bows for other people very many years ago because most people have no idea of just how long it can take to make a good bow from available wood, let alone from imported Yew. I much prefer to teach others to do their own.

A half decent stave of Yew long enough to make an English warbow is close to 80 inches and can easily cost over $US300 and another $US 250 in shipping costs to get here. If Customs don't like the look of it and want to fumigate it, that is another $Aus250 before you take possession of it.

Already, for a Yew warbow, you are up for at least $550 before you start building the bow, but a lot cheaper if other woods are available. To get a bow to shooting stage can easily be another 10 to 15 hours work at whatever reasonable rate the bowyer charges plus another similar amount just for finishing the bow. People don't realise that finishing a bow well can take as long as getting it to shooting stage if care is taken. Fitting of horns can be a full day's work as well.

Years ago, many people used to ask me to make them a bow when I and very few others were doing it here in Australia. When I asked them for a reasonable cost to cover my time, I always got the reply "What??? It's only wood!!!" That ended it for me. So, if you want the real thing or the best approximation to a warbow that can be had, don't quibble about the cost too much.

What most bowyers will charge you for a bow is still well under the real cost to them of making it which you will find youself if you ever decide to start making your owns. A bowyer in Australia will certainly starve making bows for a living.

1200 English pounds for a bow made in England is about the same as $1200 for one made here because one English pound buys about as much for them over there as $Aus1 does for us here.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

Angry Wombat

#9 Post by Angry Wombat » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:32 am

A fair point there Dennis,
I certainly don't argue with you about paying for quality as i understand first hand the struggle of working with timber and the amount of hours to put into a piece (my latest grandfather clock took me over 250 hours).
I was just hoping to be able to put a few dollars in the pocket of an Aussie bowyer rather then a larger English company.
Cheers

Dennis La Varenne

#10 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:54 pm

That would be a very good place to put your money, James. Our bowyers are as good as anything overseas. I have had a couple of pretty sad ELBs from a renowned English maker by the way.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.