Where does your Money/Effort go?

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Where does your Money/Effort go?

#1 Post by GrahameA » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:21 am

Hi All.

So you are about to spend some Money/Effort on a Bow/Arrows/Gear.

Where do you personally spend your resources?

In my case I fall down on the side of performance. I prefer/desire equipment that "performs" over 'looks' any day.

Experience suggest that at the top end equipment that 'performs' is often beautiful/appealing as well however stepping back down the price slope just a little I get the impression that looks are often more important to people than performance.

Real numbers tell much more about bows compared to fancy looks.

What is your opinion/point of view?
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

CraigH

Re: Where does your Money/Effort go?

#2 Post by CraigH » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:46 am

I would rather performance over looks.

While I can appreciate nice layered exotic woods on bows, I would rather spend the money on a plain Jane looking bow with the specs I were after. Also, I would be too afraid to take a expensive beautiful looking bow in the bush in case I get a scratch on it.

Jim

#3 Post by Jim » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:12 am

I think if folks weren't willing to sacrifice performance for aesthetic or romantic reasons bowhunting wouldn't exist. So we all fall in that spectrum somewhere. After all, there is something very visually pleasing about a shaft arcing through the air to a target, regardless of whether it's getting there at 210fps or at 160.

I guess another point is that a high performing bow does not make a high performing archer. So at some point you're probably getting nil return on further investment. Where as an investment in aesthetic appeal will always give returns, even if you're an ordinary archer.

It is certainly a fair question which begs some self reflection. That is rarely a bad thing.

Jim
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

GrahameA

#4 Post by GrahameA » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:18 am

Morning All.

Craig.
CraigH wrote:I would rather performance over looks. ....
That is similar to my view. I would rather pay for a bow that looks relatively plain but is a joy to shoot over a bow that looks a treat but has run-of-the-mill performance.

Jim.

The 'Law of Diminishing Returns' applies to everything ... however I would still to prefer to put my effort/money into performance rather than looks.

Better still is that it is something worth considering when you are handing over the dollars and you are spending at the mid to bottom end.
Last edited by GrahameA on Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

AndyF

#5 Post by AndyF » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:23 am

All my bows would probably fall into the 'performance' category (Fox Triple Crowns, Borders, Blackbrooks, Blacktail etc) and most of them look pretty good too. That's where most of my cash has gone.

That said, most of my time is spent on getting my arrows as good as possible.

GrahameA

#6 Post by GrahameA » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:51 am

Hi Andy.
AndyF wrote:All my bows would probably fall into the 'performance' category (Fox Triple Crowns, Borders, Blackbrooks, Blacktail etc) and most of them look pretty good too. ....
Being sort of envious over the Border and Blackbrook I note that for both of them they are an example where performance has been the driving factor over the aesthetic yet, like many things in this world, they end up being a very attractive/good looking/desirable product.

p.s. My Win&Win CXT is now wearing a set of Border limbs.
Grahame.

rodlonq

#7 Post by rodlonq » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:31 pm

Most of my money goes on tools. I have a bug about trying to make as much of my own equipment as I can, so I feel I need the gear to do it. Fortunately (or not :roll: ) I have adopted the philosophy of buying the best tools you can afford, and being quite busy at work I have no choice to be patient while I am saving up for a tool purchase => I usually buy bigger than I really need (or could get away with). For some reason I always adopt the attitude that I need to gear up almost as if in commercial production, yet I have only made 10 bows in the last 4 years (cooked # 11 yesterday).

The majority of my effort goes on research, trying to make up my mind what is the best approach to achieve the optimum outcome. Most would probably call it procrastination. The problem is, with so much information out there and so many people reporting they are getting results with product A, while the next bloke is saying product B is far better than A, it is difficult to filter the good from the bad.

I need to stop mucking around and get out bush with the gear I already have.

Mick Smith

#8 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:23 pm

I know from past experiences that I wouldn't be happy with something that didn't appeal to me in both form and function. It must have both, otherwise I know I will almost certainly sell it off, sooner rather than later. Items that have a high degree of function will often have a pleasing form.

You could offer me the best bow in the world and if I thought it was butt ugly, I wouldn't buy it. By the same token, you could offer me the prettiest bow in the world, but if it didn't perform I wouldn't buy it either.

I'm very happy shooting my old Mohawk longbow. It's not the prettiest bow in the world, but it's certainly not ugly. I like it's sleek lines. It certainly doesn't shoot the fastest arrow for its draw weight, but it is predictable and reliable. It certainly shoots a whole lot better than what I can.

Aesthetics and efficiency are both important to me. Traditional archery is a very visual pursuit. It's one of the things I love about it.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by greybeard » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:59 pm

Buy the bow that is going to give you a lifetime of happiness.

Personally the commercial bows do little to encourage me to buy.

I would rather spend a few thousand dollars on top grade yew staves and make some selfbows as their beauty never ages.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Roadie

#10 Post by Roadie » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:48 pm

I just buy Self Bows, (ELB's), made by folks here in Aust, normally make my own arrows, (wood), and the rest I spend just Travelling around to TRAD shoots. Just a Stick & piece of String really. Cheers Roadie.

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by Bill » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:52 pm

:smile: Like most others, that are traditional, I make most of my gear apart from building a bow, have had a couple of go's but big failures... :sad: . :wink: But I do love collecting broadheads as I go, and afterwards at days end a bit of the old smooth stuff 8) to swallow down when all is secured. :surprised:

Samick steve

#12 Post by Samick steve » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:11 pm

I love our Aussie hardwoods so looks are more important as I'm a crap shot anyway so the gear may as well look the part :lol:

littlejohn59

#13 Post by littlejohn59 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:20 pm

I am the proud owner of one such bow. I agonised for a year over a high quality top end longbow. Do i really want it, do i need it,yardah yardah, yardah.
It was to be osage, exzact poundage that i wanted, selected handle grip and some other extras.
It was to be my dream bow.
I ordered it.
I eagerly anticipated its arrival.
It arrived.
Aesthetically it looked beautiful to me. The osage colour has deepened over the years making its looks even better.
But so disappointed i am with its performance. When i shoot it, it sounds like a freight train passsing in the night.....ugh. I could go on but i won't. Suffice to say not every top end bow will perform as you might expect.
Needless to say i still own this beautiful looking osage dud of a bow.
I am sure there are other archers out there that own wonderful aesthetically looking dud bows too. I hope not too many though!

GrahameA

#14 Post by GrahameA » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:09 am

Morning All.
littlejohn59 wrote:... But so disappointed i am with its performance. When i shoot it, it sounds like a freight train passsing in the night.....ugh. I could go on but i won't. Suffice to say not every top end bow will perform as you might expect. ...
And that is the point.
greybeard wrote:... I would rather spend a few thousand dollars on top grade yew staves ...
Yes. However you are willing to purchase top quality timber/components - you are into performance not "flash looks" - and the end result are bows that perform. Just how many bows have you put through the bandsaw and into the 'wheely bin' seeking performance and longevity.
Grahame.

Jim

#15 Post by Jim » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:16 pm

GrahameA wrote:Jim.

The 'Law of Diminishing Returns' applies to everything ... however I would still to prefer to put my effort/money into performance rather than looks.
I suppose that's true Grahame. To elaborate my point a little, I've never shot a bow and thought "If only this bow performed a little better, I'd have shot a tighter group". I do however often think "If only I performed a little better, I'd have shot a tighter group".

To be clear, I've never bought a bow because of how it looked. But I have immediately discounted bows because of how they looked.

I guess a complimentary question that may add to this discussion is what particular aspects of performance are people investing in? And to what end?

Jim
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

toby

#16 Post by toby » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:45 pm

I try to get both looks & performance & these days there's no reason why you can't if you choose carefully.
I am concentrating on Ilf equipment at the moment & the flexabity of this type of gear almost guarantees you don't have a situation like little johns where you have a good looking bow that hasn't been made correctly. The ability to tune the bow to spit finger or three under or even simply replace limbs if your not happy with there performance or quietness is helpful in making a nice shooting bow.
Lyonel

GrahameA

#17 Post by GrahameA » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:45 am

Morning.
Jim wrote:.... I've never shot a bow and thought "If only this bow performed a little better...
I have.
Jim wrote:I guess a complimentary question that may add to this discussion is what particular aspects of performance are people investing in? And to what end?
Yes, 'performance' covers a large gamut.

I always seek the 'stable shooting platform', which in itself covers much, plus suitable Bow efficiency plus a draw which is comfortable plus no vibration, jar , 'jerk', noise with 'the shot'.
Grahame.

Mick Smith

#18 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:16 am

I'm always willing to invest both time and money into creating a better arrow. I'm of the opinion that any old bow can and will shoot exactly the same way each time, if the archer does his part, but arrows may not if they're not perfectly matched or perfectly matched for the bow.

I believe that it often becomes a case of diminishing returns rather quickly with a bow. Once you have a reasonable bow, that has been tuned to shoot well, there's not much you can do that will increase your personal performance from the bow perspective. Sure, you can invest a lot of time and money on a better bow, but I believe the resources might often have been better used on developing better arrows for your existing bow.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#19 Post by greybeard » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:28 am

Mick Smith wrote:........ but I believe the resources might often have been better used on developing better arrows for your existing bow.
Or paying for coaching.

Daryl
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Mick Smith

#20 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:29 am

Very true Daryl. :wink:

perry

#21 Post by perry » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:30 pm

I'm a Function over Form type as in the Bow in this Photo - Dingo Ugly but Kinky Sexy 20 Years after I made it

My greatest expense is always my time getting my Form as good as it can be, my Arrows and Bow Matched and Tuned

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

GrahameA

#22 Post by GrahameA » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:03 am

Hi Perry.
perry wrote:I'm a Function over Form type as in the Bow in this Photo - Dingo Ugly but Kinky Sexy 20 Years after I made it. My greatest expense is always my time getting my Form as good as it can be, my Arrows and Bow Matched and Tuned.
Yes. Whatever you have/use it will cost you something be it time/money/whatever. Most of us have limited resources and need to make the decision of apportioning those resources.

The big drivers/decisions in equipment are often related to 'looks' Vs. 'function' with looks often have a large input in decision making.
Grahame.

perry

#23 Post by perry » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:52 pm

Grahame some years ago Cliff and I amused ourselves when we noted Shiny Bows drew a Crowd and shot Faster. He sprayed his Selfbows with a high gloss finish and I used a hand rubbed matt oiled finish. He always got more compliments than me and was often told his shot faster than mine. So I took one of my dull Bows and applied a high gloss True Oil finish, the Bow all of a sudden was the best Selfbow I'd made and the enevitable comment, gee its pretty quick was made :lol:

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

GrahameA

#24 Post by GrahameA » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:58 am

Hi Perry.
perry wrote:... some years ago Cliff and I amused ourselves when we noted Shiny Bows drew a Crowd and shot Faster.
Yes. Shiny bows always get compliments. It is the glint that blinds the lookers.
perry wrote:... He sprayed his Selfbows with a high gloss finish and I used a hand rubbed matt oiled finish. He always got more compliments than me and was often told his shot faster than mine. So I took one of my dull Bows and applied a high gloss True Oil finish, the Bow all of a sudden was the best Selfbow I'd made and the enevitable comment, gee its pretty quick was made :lol:
There is the truth of the matter. Looks shiny must be better ..... no numbers but being shiny must be better. :roll:
Grahame.

Úlfvaldr

#25 Post by Úlfvaldr » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:28 pm

Hello Graham,

I don't think that there is always a clean division between performance and aesthetics.

Use of a certain rare type of wood, or an animal carving in the handle are usually aesthetic properties of the bow. Its capacity to launch an arrow at a certain speed is usually considered a "performance" property.

Above all, though, I like a bow that shoots "sweetly" and that to my mind is both its performance and its aesthetics.