What is a Target Bow?

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

What is a Target Bow?

#1 Post by GrahameA » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:17 am

Hi All.

This post is really for Mick Smith to 'brighten his day' and add some confusion.

So the question just what is a Target Bow as distinct from .....

Here is a bow being shot in the 1950's in Brisbane.

Note the presence of a sight and what appears to be a deflex-reflex shape. It is definitely pre 'the date' so it would comply with the Trad classification of some. Perhaps I need to fit a sight for the next shoot and I have photographic proof that they were being used....... and I do have one of that Vintage.

Extra points if you can name the Archer.
Attachments
1950s (2).jpg
1950s (2).jpg (93.66 KiB) Viewed 4349 times
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

littlejohn59

Re: What is a Target Bow?

#2 Post by littlejohn59 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:24 am

A target bow is any bow with a light draw weight.

:confused: :confused:

Life is as simple or as difficult as YOU want it to be or want to make it!

DavidM

#3 Post by DavidM » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:06 pm

If its pre “the date” then there are no excuses, your in :wink: keep searching for those loop holes graham :!:

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:05 pm

Hi Grahame.

Consider my day brightened. 8)

Who is the archer?
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

GrahameA

#5 Post by GrahameA » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:47 am

Morning All.
DavidM wrote:If its pre “the date” then there are no excuses, your in :wink: keep searching for those loop holes graham :!:
I like that approach. I have often thought about "Vintage" stuff and Trad. If it is a 'Trad Shoot" and you have gear that is prior "the date" then it could be hard call for some to argue against. It is just one of peculiarities of the way things are. We need a "Vintage Archery" division and that sounds like a job for Sue. :idea:
Mick Smith wrote:Consider my day brightened. 8)

Who is the archer?
That is Tom Hannay. Read this [size=50]http://www.aahofm.org.au/index ... 100[/size]

The range at Mount Petrie Bowmen is the Hannay Range. I need to take a few more photos

You admitted to once having a B/W Target Bow - now don't you regret exchanging it for another. :roll:
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Kendaric

#6 Post by Kendaric » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:37 am

Well, if you remove the sight, that bow could be shot in trad under one of the current divisions.

As to draw weight, I knew a recurve target archer that use to shoot 60#.

In the 80's I remember that 'generally' with either recurve or compound - that a target bow had a larger sight window, and a hunting/field bow had a short window, and yes, generally draw weight with target was less, as many more arrows were shot in a target round. With compound bows nowdays, this has become a bit blurred, but I get the impression that top target shooters prefer the larger window/bow configuration as these tend to be more forgiving.

The larger sight window allowed a lower, under the chin anchor point, with the use of sights. With a short window, the riser would get in the way with your sighting picture at short distances. The under the chin anchor with nose touching the string, is the most accurate method, using fingers, with a sighting mechanism. The release is much 'cleaner' than corner of the mouth anchor, and there are more reference points for consistency. This lower anchor point point made is easier to also achieve target distances to 90 metres.

I can't see why a target recurve, without sights, and without a mechanical rest, would cause any issue in the trad recurve division.

GrahameA

#7 Post by GrahameA » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:59 pm

Afternoon.
Kendaric wrote:.... under the chin anchor point, with the use of sights. With a short window, the riser would get in the way with your sighting picture at short distances. The under the chin anchor with nose touching the string, is the most accurate method, using fingers, with a sighting mechanism. The release is much 'cleaner' than corner of the mouth anchor, and there are more reference points for consistency. This lower anchor point point made is easier to also achieve target distances to 90 metres.

I can't see why a target recurve, without sights, and without a mechanical rest, would cause any issue in the trad recurve division.
The "under-the-chin anchor" was pioneered by Horace Alford Ford. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horace_A._Ford) Anyone interested in Traditional Archery will have read "The Theory and Practice of Archery".

There is a slight issue in that Berger Buttons and the limb mounting may cause issue depending on the rules that the event is being conducted to however both can be overcome.

And essentially there is no difference.
Grahame.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by greybeard » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:32 pm

GrahameA wrote:So the question just what is a Target Bow as distinct from ......
Unfortunately you did not finish the question so it is a little difficult to reply with a qualified answer. "as distinct from....." what, perhaps a pork chop or a bowl of goldfish?

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Kendaric

#9 Post by Kendaric » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:40 am

GrahameA wrote: The "under-the-chin anchor" was pioneered by Horace Alford Ford. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horace_A._Ford) Anyone interested in Traditional Archery will have read "The Theory and Practice of Archery".
Found it:

https://archive.org/details/theorypracticeof00ford

GrahameA

#10 Post by GrahameA » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:56 am

Hi Daryl.
greybeard wrote:
GrahameA wrote:So the question just what is a Target Bow as distinct from ......
Unfortunately you did not finish the question so it is a little difficult to reply with a qualified answer. "as distinct from....." what, perhaps a pork chop or a bowl of goldfish?

Daryl.
It was not a question but rather something for people to think about which is why I posted the photo of Tom Hannay as the gear he was shooting is a long wAY AWAY FROM WHAT PEOPLE THINK OF AS 'Target Bows'.
Grahame.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:49 am

GrahameA wrote:which is why I posted the photo of Tom Hannay as the gear he was shooting is a long wAY AWAY FROM WHAT PEOPLE THINK OF AS 'Target Bows'.
Only SOME people.

Jeff

GrahameA

#12 Post by GrahameA » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:21 pm

Hi Jeff, et al.

This is Tom Petrie with a "Target Bow" at similar time. Again note the sight and the reflexing of the tips. Observant Archers will note the "Flemish" String. Observe the use of a glove rather than tab.

A educated guess is that the white strip down the bow being the sight is probably sticking plaster with sightmarks.
TomOzbow.jpg
TomOzbow.jpg (66.17 KiB) Viewed 4195 times
Grahame.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#13 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:17 pm

Those old steel bows were very popular in that era. That one does look to have a sight mounted on the back of the bow though Grahame.

Jeff

GrahameA

#14 Post by GrahameA » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:10 pm

Hi Jeff.
Stickbow Hunter wrote:Those old steel bows were very popular in that era. That one does look to have a sight mounted on the back of the bow though Grahame.
Yes. I also have one of the sights from that era in my collection of old Archery stuff.

The 1950's were a time of change in Archery and the 1960 even bigger change. Things seem to have settled down a little lately.
Grahame.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#15 Post by greybeard » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:20 pm

Target Archer.jpg
Target Archer.jpg (113.44 KiB) Viewed 4161 times
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

DavidM

#16 Post by DavidM » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:48 am

Hi Daryl

Maybe its time to bring back the uniform and hats 8) I like the belt quiver with the cup.

Did the picture say who they were :?: