Shrew Classic Hunter

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Jim

Shrew Classic Hunter

#1 Post by Jim » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:54 am

Well, I'm very excited as I just got news on Friday that courtesy of a good friend in the US a Shrew Classic Hunter (made by Greg 'Java Man' Coffey) is on it's way to me :biggrin:

It's a 54" take down, 53#@28", elk antler tips and accents on the riser with prairie rattler skin on the limbs.

I'm going to avoid any long bow/semi-recurve technicalities by calling it my short bow.. it's certainly shorter than my long bow :wink:

Jim
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

Mick Smith

Re: Shrew Classic Hunter

#2 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:17 pm

Nice! What sort of timbers are in it Jim?
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

littlejohn59

#3 Post by littlejohn59 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:34 pm

Congrtulations Jim

The ratler skin makes it look different..

Let us know what it shoots like after you had it a bit.

CraigH

#4 Post by CraigH » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:58 am

Very nice.

Be interesting how the 54"shoots. Cheers.

Ross Dickinson

#5 Post by Ross Dickinson » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:19 am

Jim, [New member scrubtick] I have super shrew Samurai 60" it"s a very nice bow to shoot, quite and very lite, I received the bow 4 week"s ago from Ron LaClair it"s riser [king"s wood or type of rose wood very hard.]Limb"s Bamboo style [Howard Hill.] The grip is perfect, the bow itself performs as good as it look"s. one thing Ron told me was your 50lb bow will shoot better with a 65lb spine arrow witch is correct. You have brought yourself a wonderful bow,have fun hope to meet you at a trad. Ross [scrubtick].

hardgainer

#6 Post by hardgainer » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:31 am

What a great piece of craft...luv those Shrews

Jim

#7 Post by Jim » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:08 am

Mick Smith wrote:Nice! What sort of timbers are in it Jim?

Mick, it's brown stained birch burl on the belly and the riser is walnut dymonwood. The belly looks very nice in the picture, although I don't actually know what 'birch burl' is :oops: :biggrin:
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

Mick Smith

#8 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:47 pm

I'm not real sure what a burl is either Jim. It's a knotty rounded growth on a tree, but I don't know how or why they develop. I do know they're highly desirable and attractive though.

I'm looking forward to a full report on how it shoots.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

rodlonq

#9 Post by rodlonq » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:21 am

Very nice Jim, should be great for hunting in scrubby country. Is the take down a sleeve or bow bolt or....?

Cheers... Rod

Jim

#10 Post by Jim » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:06 pm

Rod, it should be good in the close stuff. I'm interested in how it feels compared to my 64" longbow, which is the longest bow I've ever shot and have a fair bit of confidence with. The take down system is some kind of bolt rather than a sleeve. I reckon that Big Jim's method looks pretty bullet proof, but this little bow is only 53# so I imagine will be fine.

Once it arrives we should catch up or go to a club shoot or something (I'm sorry to have missed Tully.. but had work commitments). You've won a couple of comps and bagged a bunch of game since we last spoke. You must have some tales to tell :biggrin:

Jim
-Doc Ashby

Jim

#11 Post by Jim » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:09 pm

Arrived today! Very smooth shooter and a beautiful little bow...

The bow weighs 600grams. Unbelievably light in the hand. Can't wait to get out and about with it :smile:
-Doc Ashby

Mick Smith

#12 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:01 am

I must admit, I'm slightly envious of you Jim. That's one nice little bow alright! It has heaps of character. I've always been a sucker for short bows.

Chase N. Nocks

#13 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:26 pm

Beautiful. Why are short bows so damned sexy?

I fell in love with the Bear Kodiak Magnum at first sight 40+ years ago and they are still today a bow that has such beautiful lines.

Interestingly the Super Mag never held the same appeal. To me the brace height was too high....always felt half drawn and half cast just sitting there.

The Shrews have also always been a favourite.

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#14 Post by Bill » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:41 pm

:smile: I am also envious, :mrgreen: ditto to the words, "That's one nice little bow alright!".
I agree that it looks to have heaps and heaps :surprised: of character. 8)
I'm sure it will do you justice and shoot just as sweetly. :biggrin: