Rubber Pliers for Preparing TopHat points?

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

CraigH

Rubber Pliers for Preparing TopHat points?

#1 Post by CraigH » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:26 pm

There was an article of Nick Lintern making wood arrows in the latest edition (Sep/Oct) of Archery Action. He is using rubber pliers to help hold the arrow shaft while screwing in the TopHat points. Are the rubber pliers, modified ones / or can you get them like that?
(Had a search on the internet, but couldn't find any similar.)

I like the TopHat thread points and have the assembly tool that hold the point, and thread cutter, but they are a pain to hold the shaft, while screwing the point on. Any other ideas for holding the shaft, without damaging it, like putting it in a vice with some some rubber padding or similar?

Ian Turner

Re: Rubber Pliers for Preparing TopHat points?

#2 Post by Ian Turner » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:06 pm

Hi mate yeah i really like the top hat screw ons as i get much better alignment of point with shaft.
I often wondered about means of holding things and at the moment i hold the shaft with an arrow puller and screw the points down with the tool that looks much like a tap wrench (as in tap and die threading tools).
I am keen to hear how others do it too!\
Cheers

toby

#3 Post by toby » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:55 pm

I also use a large arrow puller to hold the shaft but I put the roughing tool & the field points into a cordless drill & adjust the torque setting on the drill to suit, going up in increment until I get the torque setting right for the type of shaft I'm making.
Lyonel

Ian Turner

#4 Post by Ian Turner » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:09 pm

Thats a good idea; never thought of that one.
Cheers

temudjin

#5 Post by temudjin » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:10 pm

Hi,

Top Hat sell a tool - they call it an arrow puller - but the 3 Rivers website says... "The TakeOut fits all shafts, and can even be used as an installation tool to hold the shaft while installing points or nocks."

Search Part No 0926-1 on the 3 Rivers website... only downside is the price of U$99 plus freight!!!!!

CraigH

#6 Post by CraigH » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:27 am

Thanks for the info and replies.
temudjin wrote:Hi,
Top Hat sell a tool - they call it an arrow puller - but the 3 Rivers website says... "The TakeOut fits all shafts, and can even be used as an installation tool to hold the shaft while installing points or nocks."
Search Part No 0926-1 on the 3 Rivers website... only downside is the price of U$99 plus freight!!!!!
Yeah, did see the TopHat TakeOut tool, but a bit pricy for a gadget. Thanks.

GrahameA

#7 Post by GrahameA » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:04 am

Morning Tom.
temudjin wrote:Top Hat sell a tool - they call it an arrow puller - but the 3 Rivers website says... "The TakeOut fits all shafts, and can even be used as an installation tool to hold the shaft while installing points or nocks."

I have a set of Aluminum jaw inserts in my vice. I drilled a vertical hole that is just under the shaft shaft size. Insert shaft > clamp > screw on tip. Simple solution.

Most of the time I just hold the shaft with my hand and fit the points. If it really is a problem then perhaps a Collet style of fitting would be a simple/low cost solution.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

CraigH

#8 Post by CraigH » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:06 am

GrahameA wrote:Morning Tom.
I have a set of Aluminum jaw inserts in my vice. I drilled a vertical hole that is just under the shaft shaft size. Insert shaft > clamp > screw on tip. Simple solution.
Most of the time I just hold the shaft with my hand and fit the points. If it really is a problem then perhaps a Collet style of fitting would be a simple/low cost solution.
Thanks Grahame.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by greybeard » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:27 am

Try Abbey Archery they have several types of arrow pullers at reasonable prices.

http://www.abbeyarchery.com.au/p/351000 ... +Clip.html

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....