Real barred turkey fetches at reasonable prices.

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

Real barred turkey fetches at reasonable prices.

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:05 am

Have you been yearning for some of the real barred turkey feathers like you used to be able to buy? The artificial ones are pretty good, but they just can't match the real thing.

While browsing through what's available on fleabay, I came across quite a few items that look promising. Admittedly, they're from China, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will be of poor quality. Being from China, the prices are quite reasonable. I suppose a turkey is a turkey no matter where it comes from.

Here's the link .... http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_saca ... _PrefLoc=2

This is just one of the different items available. You can buy them in smaller lots, but at a higher cost per unit. Bear in mind these prices often include the price of the posting, which makes them an even more attractive deal.

I've noticed that some of the ebay items specify whether the fletches are right wing or left wing, but others don't, so you might have to be careful in this regard. Perhaps it might pay to make contact with the seller before hitting the 'buy now' button.

I'm interested in buying some myself, as I do love the look of real barred turkey feathers on my arrows. If you, or someone you know, has bought any of these fletches from this seller, could you please give us some feedback as to their quality?
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

bigbob

Re: Real barred turkey fetches at reasonable prices.

#2 Post by bigbob » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:34 am

I've bought a few chinese sourced archery bits in recent years including arrows. The arrows I stipulated be at 45# 50# spine.When i got them I cast a critical eye over them and for the most part were acceptably straight , good grain and reasonable feathers. The nocks proved to be utter crap and would break even upon the arrow hitting a hard bail. When we spined them they went from 45# to 90#! for the price they were ok except for the wild variation in spine. Out of the dozen perhaps 4 - 5 were within stipulated spine.Caveat Emptor!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Mick Smith

#3 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:11 am

Thanks for that Bob. I've also bought a few odds and sods from Chinese sellers over the years. I bought 100 bamboo shafts that were designated as being spined something like 50-70lbs. They were less than a dollar each at $80. I didn't actually spine the shafts, as I don't have the equipment, instead I made up about 3 or 4 dozen arrows and tested them by actually shooting them. The ones that didn't fly straight went into a storage box and the ones that did shoot well, I kept. Most of them were fine.

I also bought some stainless steel field points which have worked out to be a good buy. They haven't rusted and they're quite strong. I'd buy more of them, but I haven't seen that particular seller on ebay for ages.

Back to the natural barred turkey 5 inch fletches. I contacted the seller and he said he would supply me with 100 right wing fletches, so I went ahead and bought them. The way I see it, fletches are one thing that can't be too dysfunctional. They will almost certainly work.

I'll let everyone know what they're like when they arrive.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:24 am

It'll be interesting to see what they are like Mick. I don't use natural barred feathers as I can't see them when they hit the target so I use white. I love the look of them though. :biggrin:

Jeff

bigbob

#5 Post by bigbob » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:08 pm

yeah mick I bought some mechanical broadheads too which surprisingly seem ok. They are only for my wheelie bow and haven't field tested them but everything about them seems ok. i have also bought bamboo shafts too, and for the money would't complain. I only use them with my Osage 'snake' bow as they fit the theme Bit bumpy and bent but hey so's the 'snake'
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:41 pm

The feathers turned up today and I'm very happy with them. The quality is as good as any I've ever seen. They're cut with precision. The bases are ground beautifully. They're all right wing, as I requested.

I reckon they're a great bargain at that price. They look so much better than even the best imitation ones.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:35 pm

Great to hear Mick.

Jeff