bingham pressure hose

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

gavin83

bingham pressure hose

#1 Post by gavin83 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:17 pm

hi how are yas im new to the forum and bow building and was just seeing if anyone knows where I can get firehose the same as binghams here in aus
cheers guys

bigbob

Re: bingham pressure hose

#2 Post by bigbob » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:24 am

I managed to get some from ebay a little while back.as it is old fire hose that is being replaced due to updated regulations. It is 1 1/2'' diameter fire hose.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

gavin83

#3 Post by gavin83 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:04 am

Cheers mate I looked on ebay but wasn't sure what diameter to get for a 2 inch recurve do you have much? Would you consider selling some
Cheers

bigbob

#4 Post by bigbob » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:21 am

I don't have any left over as I sent any surplus to people on here, but 1 1/2'' dia will still do a 2'' 'curve , you just have to lower the gap between upper and lower forms to compensate.Try going to your local fire station, they may still have some kicking about they haven't thrown out yet.
razorbows.com

gavin83

#5 Post by gavin83 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:22 pm

Cheers mate will do that

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:29 pm

I have used this type of hose for many years and it works fine. http://www.clarkrubber.com.au/lay-flat-hose.html

Jeff

bigbob

#7 Post by bigbob » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:09 pm

thought about this type myself before I bought the last lot off Ebay, but wasn't sure if it would handle the heat from the oven. Obviously ok if you had no problems. that's good to know for future reference, Jeff.
razorbows.com

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:00 pm

The hose I have used for over twenty years is a crimson colour otherwise looks the same as that stuff Bob. If you click on the photo in that link (that magnifies it) and look closely you will see that it has diamond shape cross fibres for reinforcing. It is lighter and not as bulky as the fire hose which is an advantage IMO.

Jeff

bigbob

#9 Post by bigbob » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:27 am

Great thanks Jeff.
razorbows.com

rodlonq

#10 Post by rodlonq » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:41 am

Stickbow Hunter wrote:I have used this type of hose for many years and it works fine. http://www.clarkrubber.com.au/lay-flat-hose.html

Jeff
PVC coated hose should be OK so long as the temperature doesn't exceed maybe 80C. Be careful of the pressure rating as well. For the lay flat irrigator hoses that I am familiar with, the blue one is low pressure (60 PSI max) and the red one is high pressure (90 PSI max). Be aware that even though the pressure resistance comes from the woven reinforcing between the inner and outer PVC layers, the maximum pressure will be derated as the operating temperature increases. All that being said, the proof is in the pudding. Jeff has used it (a red one) for 20 years so it must be OK for normal bow making procedures.

Cheers... Rod

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:13 am

rodlonq wrote:Jeff has used it (a red one) for 20 years so it must be OK for normal bow making procedures.
I have used the same piece of hose for all that time also.

Thanks for your input Rod as that info is certainly important. My curing temp is 60˚ C and well under 90 PSI so that is probably why I haven't had any issues.

Jeff