Spot the Bear Arrow Repo's

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

hardgainer

Spot the Bear Arrow Repo's

#1 Post by hardgainer » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:22 pm

A couple of boxes of Grayling Bear Cedar Arras from the early 1960's along with a box of Repo Bear Arras from this day and age.
See if you can spot the Repo's ..... :lol: :biggrin:
Attachments
bear arras 032.JPG
bear arras 032.JPG (149.47 KiB) Viewed 4322 times
bear arras 026.JPG
bear arras 026.JPG (192.56 KiB) Viewed 4322 times
bear arras 030.JPG
bear arras 030.JPG (192.18 KiB) Viewed 4322 times
bear arras 027.JPG
bear arras 027.JPG (186.11 KiB) Viewed 4322 times

Hilly

Re: Spot the Bear Arrow Repo's

#2 Post by Hilly » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:33 pm

in the first pic the one on the right & then the second pic
Hilly

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:38 pm

I would say the right box in the first photo and the arrows in the second photo.

Jeff

bigbob

#4 Post by bigbob » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:41 pm

Ditto the above.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

The Hunt

#5 Post by The Hunt » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:26 pm

Right hand box then first lot of arrows

bigbob

#6 Post by bigbob » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:44 pm

would have to be right hand box with the prices on the other two!!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

little arrows

#7 Post by little arrows » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:50 pm

and the 2014 is a bit of a give away too - and the same as other guesses for the repo arrows too, 'cause it's the only one with the trademark on it.... :smile:

So what's the prize we all get to share ???? huh huh huh !!!! :lol:

cheers
sue

clinton miller

#8 Post by clinton miller » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:58 pm

little arrows wrote:and the 2014 is a bit of a give away too
not as much as the prices
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

mikaluger

#9 Post by mikaluger » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:19 pm

The Hunt wrote:Right hand box then first lot of arrows
This one.....

Trad Bound

#10 Post by Trad Bound » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:51 pm

Someones been a naughty boy and bought more toys. Silverfox who might that be??? :surprised:

hardgainer

#11 Post by hardgainer » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:24 am

Right hand box first arrow pic are Repos.
I guess it was the prices on the box ends I wanted to show....In the early 60s we could once get a dozen crested cedar arras for US$12.95. Broad heads inc. Wow times have changed.

Mick Smith

#12 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:57 am

Times have certainly changed Tony, but I think the prices are still relative to our earning power. I can remember earning just $19 a week in my first full time job in 1970. Actually, I could buy more of today's arrows, at today's prices, than what I could have back then, if I compare it as a percentage of my weekly income.

I can remember drooling over copies of the American Bow and Arrow magazine. The full page advertisements of Bear Kodiak Magnums and Bear Super Magnums were the stuff of dreams. There was no way I could afford them though, at the time. Back in my teens there wasn't such a thing as traditional archery, all archery was traditional. I suppose it was the same for you too.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

GrahameA

#13 Post by GrahameA » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:11 am

Morning.
hardgainer wrote:Right hand box first arrow pic are Repos.
I guess it was the prices on the box ends I wanted to show....In the early 60s we could once get a dozen crested cedar arras for US$12.95. Broad heads inc. Wow times have changed.
I am not so sure on that.

Just using some rough number figures

The Average (in Aus) wage in 1965 was approx" $6,500. In 2010 the Avg wage was $65,000.
So there was a 10 times wage increase between 1965 and 2010.

So an item costing US$12:95 in 1965 would equate to US$129:50 in 2010. i.e. In real terms the price has not changed much.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

hardgainer

#14 Post by hardgainer » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:36 am

Acknowledge'd sure its wages at time to purchasing power and cost levels but I will say again ......times have changed :wink:

GrahameA

#15 Post by GrahameA » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:09 am

Morning.
hardgainer wrote:Acknowledge'd sure its wages at time to purchasing power and cost levels but I will say again ......times have changed :wink:
First Off.

If you look at how wages have changed over time compared to prices you will get one set of comparative values/cost. If you look at inflation over time you will a different set of comparative values/costs. If you look at standards of living tagged at various times to their expectations at that point in time you will get another set of comparative values/costs. It is not as easy to compare and time periods as people sometimes assume.

Using your arrow example I would expect to find significant difference in the "quality" of the arrows from 50 years ago compared to current times. Note: Quality being a combination of "Fitness for purpose" and "Tolerance/specifications."

Second.

In the bigger scheme of things there are significant differences of what you get for your dollar today compared as to what you received for your dollar yesterday - both up and down. Just sticking to archery for a minute you can purchase Bows today that are significantly superior (as a Bow) for significantly lower prices than in times gone past. eg a Win&Win CXT will set you back around $900 and the same for a set of comparitive limbs All up around with accesories roughly $2000. It is expensive. However to purchase a similar product 10 years ago the price/cost would have been horrific and price/cost in 10 years in the future will probably be around 1/4 of current. There is a premium attached to some items - leading edge products, anything custom made, anything that has a high labour component and anything that has a high component of high skill, etc.

It can be interesting tracking costs compared to product over time - however unless you are doing for a reason or you are getting paid to research it one can find it extremely boring and frustrating. :shock:

Have great day and go shoot some arrows (or listen to some Stan Getz/Astrid Giberto and have a Scotch) - you will feel better.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

hardgainer

#16 Post by hardgainer » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:52 pm

And thirdly

A interesting reply.....yes I will take up your offer of a Whisky...When can I expect the Laphroaig to arrive. :lol: