Speed Up Your Weight Reduction And Tillering Process.

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Speed Up Your Weight Reduction And Tillering Process.

#1 Post by greybeard » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:32 pm

Some time back I purchased a small 4" x 6" belt/disc sander [Aldi Taurus] to carry out small sanding jobs.

Although the quality of the machine may be dubious I found it is great for sanding the stave after band sawing the belly, bringing the limbs down to thickness and tillering the bow.

The 40 grit belt certainly removes timber and final tillering is done with finer grit papers on sanding sticks.

It also makes short work of tapering pole bamboo for bow backings.
Taurus Belt-Disc Sander.JPG
Taurus Belt-Disc Sander.JPG (105.97 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
I had to modify the dust extraction ports to allow for efficient removal of the sanding dust.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

cmoore

Re: Speed Up Your Weight Reduction And Tillering Process.

#2 Post by cmoore » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:02 pm

But without a doubt Daryl you've learned to use it with a fine touch & an exceptional degree of accuracy....I use an angle grinder with a 40 grit flappy paddle sanding disc! :roll: ...you may call me crazy, but you'd only be stating the truth :lol:
Set Happens

Dennis La Varenne

#3 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:39 pm

Yep Daryl,

They certainly work alright. I have had and still have an old Chinese version of this kind of linisher. I think I bought it over 20 years ago and never thought it would last. Keeping the belt centred is an art, but once done, it can rip the bywood off pretty well. I have some full length bamboo that Craig Ekin of Howard Hill Archery and Jim Boswell of Rudderbows sent me for backing on projects and it never occurred to me to flatten it like you describe. Whatever was I thinking of ?????
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:27 am

cmoore wrote:...I use an angle grinder with a 40 grit flappy paddle sanding disc!
Cam, I am pretty hopeless when it comes to using a sanding disc on an angle grinder.
Dennis La Varenne wrote:I have some full length bamboo ......for backing on projects and it never occurred to me to flatten it like you describe. Whatever was I thinking of ?????
Dennis, Initially I rip the bulk of the inner of the bamboo off using an electric planer, mark out the plan of the bow [slightly oversize] on the outer surface of the bamboo and cut to shape.

Using callipers at six inch spacing's I reduce the bamboo to the required thickness and taper on the belt sander. Also I check the bamboo for a symmetrical curve on the tiller board before gluing it to the stave.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....