What Wood shafts available in AUS?

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

bstan86

What Wood shafts available in AUS?

#1 Post by bstan86 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:12 pm

I am looking to get myself around a 100 woods for hunting/stump-shooting etc.

Does anyone still do the good old VIC ash shafts, or the tapperred Quandong ones?

if not - what else is available out there?

Trad Bound

Re: What Wood shafts available in AUS?

#2 Post by Trad Bound » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:44 pm

Hi bstan86
My thoughts
Having started of with Vic Ash when I first began 9 years ago they are very brittle and value for money I would be surprised if they would get you what you want. And ask people who shot with me one 3D event I was nick named Broken Arrow :surprised: because of poor shooting and Vic Ash 13 arras to be precise.
Two options for that amount of shafts in timber jcm (John McDonald) :wink: could fix you up with a "european pine" at a reasonable price in Aus a true gentleman in the industry and a great support of Trad or http://www.surewoodshafts.com/bargins.html
Surewoods are in the USA and I buy my Douglas Fir "oregans" specials from them in 100 packs the spine is the same, the variation is in the weight but I then bundle them into groups of grains using a small electronic (dope)scale (ebay$20) I would suggest if you go that way ask Bob at Surewood to give you a postage price to your address. From memory I paid $50-60 postage for 100 specials (read details on links) quality wise I think i have had 99+% success.
Others will chime in I am sure.
Good luck either will look after you well

woodie

#3 Post by woodie » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:59 pm

I will second that with JMD great bloke
woodie
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

bstan86

#4 Post by bstan86 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:55 am

Thanks fellas!

how does the douglas fir stack up in terms of weight - is it a heavier wood or similar to cedar etc.?

Trad Bound

#5 Post by Trad Bound » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:06 am

Heavier and I think stronger but I'm not a wood nut

jcm

#6 Post by jcm » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:26 am

A quick reply - Douglas Fir- heavier and a wee bit stronger than Port Orford Cedar
Regards
John

Scrub Bull

#7 Post by Scrub Bull » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:17 pm

On average I have found Douglas Fir about 100 grains heavier per shaft to POC and spruce.
Archery is a simple game, it's the mind that over complicates it.
www.tradbits.com.au

little arrows

#8 Post by little arrows » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:52 pm

because of the interlocking grain structure the Mountain Ash shaft can be more durable, heavier in mass weight and is great for Livery and Warbow arrows. We haven't had any problems with ones leaving here.
Douglas Fir is generally heavier in mass weight than POC and both Spruce species.

cheers
sue

longbowinfected

#9 Post by longbowinfected » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:50 pm

Do not forget bamboo or hoop pine.
Hoop pine is very strong for its mass. Glues works and paints well too.

Old Douglas Fir door timbers with close growth rings/ old growth timber is a far superior timber than modern plantation fast grown timber.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Dennis La Varenne

#10 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:43 pm

Mountain Ash (E. regnans) - very strong, very reliable, very heavy and very stiff for diameter, but nothing much to look at. I have no complaints about it at all. Not many wood species will give a 5/16 shaft which spines greater than 60lbs as mine do. But it is prone to warping and needs heating to straighten it.

I have also gotten very good results from Bunnings Tasmanian Ash which is a bastard wood of unknown parentage. I pick those dowels with the grain running at least 80% of a shaft length and they produce 10mm diameter arrows over 600 grains unheaded. The skinny stuff of 8mm diameter is good stuff too if you select for straightness of grain. I have not used the tiny 6mm stuff yet, but if the same features hold for the heavier stuff, it would be a good shaft material for kids bows. You can fit those carbon arrow nocks and heads on with a bit of fiddling.

If you wish to bob, barrel or chest your arrows made from either Mountain Ash or Bunnings wood, using a plane can prove problematical because of the grain structure. Sanding is better, albeit slower.

However, few arrow woods have the spectacular visual appeal of well-seasoned Oregon.

Regards,
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

longbowinfected

#11 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:46 pm

Tasmanian Oak is the trade name for various Eucalypts including E. regnans and E. delecatesens both are used for termite activity monitors as they grow in high country without many termite species so they have not developed natural defences so not very durable timber species.

You have to be careful because the spiral grain runs out at the surface in many dowels made with those species. Means they break easily at those points.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Trad Bound

#12 Post by Trad Bound » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:23 pm

But who produces 100 Vic Ash in Australia like has been asked??? Steve Wallace will be peddling hard :lol: Keep on spinning Steve

little arrows

#13 Post by little arrows » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:40 pm

that's only 8 dozen............... in his spare time, hey maybe I better get a bigger motor..... :lol: