New Gringa Curve

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Brett Finger

New Gringa Curve

#1 Post by Brett Finger » Fri May 23, 2014 7:02 pm

as I have stated,
I LOVE my new cocobolo Gringa recurve !!!
Fing... :biggrin:
Attachments
cocobolo Gringa.jpg
cocobolo Gringa.jpg (103.92 KiB) Viewed 2593 times
practice 2.jpg
practice 2.jpg (83.15 KiB) Viewed 2594 times
practice.jpg
practice.jpg (156.41 KiB) Viewed 2594 times
gringa curve.jpg
gringa curve.jpg (30.8 KiB) Viewed 2596 times
So long as the new Moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow , so long will the fasicnation of Archery keep hold of the hearts of Men
Foundation member - East Coast TRAD Bowhunters - E.C.T.B - we are smoke, we are rumor
NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him

The Ranger

Re: New Gringa Curve

#2 Post by The Ranger » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:55 pm

Looks good Brett, nice grain in the timber of that riser mate. I think you could probably update your target too. :lol: It looks like it's seen a few arrows.

Ranger
Don't practise until you get it right. Practise until you don't get it wrong. Ranger Bows.

Dennis La Varenne

#3 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:00 pm

That design of recurve is exactly the styling I prefer and is reminiscent of the old style recurves before manufacturers starting adding the overdraw feature back in the 1960s and risers went on to look like lumps of 4x2 glued onto the limbs.

Rather than the bow itself, it was these grossly oversized risers that went on to become the principal selling feature using mixed and matched wood grain finishes and often outrageous shaping. They did absolutely nothing for bow performance.

In my collection, I have several old Bear static recurves, both the Grizzly and the Kodiak with their minimalist handle-riserss and I have a couple of Cravotta Brothers and an old Sartain duoflex (aka recurve) style bows. All have the small handle style which the Gringa has and can shoot along with any of the modern recurved bows. It is about time somebody in bowyerdom did a "back to the future" and got away from the unnecessarily oversized risers and concentrated more on elegance of form. After all, it is the limbs which do the work, not the handle. Restraint of form can often conceal surprising and unexpected performance and handling just like a well made English shotgun.

Congratulations on the bow Rod. Very well done indeed.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

UPTHETOP

#4 Post by UPTHETOP » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:04 am

Nice looking arrows Brett, Im glad Rod is still making a one piece you just don't see enough of them around these days.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

Dennis La Varenne

#5 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:49 pm

Rod,

Here is a pic of an old Bear Grizzly advertised on eBay after he changed from static recurves to the duo-flex form. Does it look familiar????
Bear-Grizzly-duo-flex-recurve.jpg
Bear-Grizzly-duo-flex-recurve.jpg (104.44 KiB) Viewed 2444 times
I drew in the red line to show how far ahead of the back of the handle that the tips are. It is very close to 6 inches and puts a great deal of string tension on the braced bow.

The old static recurved had no flies on them either and had a high string tension on them because of the forward position of the tips and the fact that these bows did not have any kind of deflex in the inner limb like the duo-flexes have. they were very heavily reflexed limbs with the static recurve at the end. I can post pictures of the these static recurves if anybody would like to see them.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

Gringa Bows

#6 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:45 am

Thanks Dennis,i love that style of bow,and yes more pics up if you like mate :biggrin:

Brett Finger

#7 Post by Brett Finger » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:44 am

yah guys , its a great design..

Dennis , you hit the nail on the head mate, reminds me of the old school curves we shot 35 years ago when I first started Bow-hunting...

I cannot falt the thing in any way, and to be honest, I am shooting with it now as good as I shot wayyyyy back in my hay-day when I could actually hit a few targets.... :roll:

Kind Regards, Fing... :smile:
So long as the new Moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow , so long will the fasicnation of Archery keep hold of the hearts of Men
Foundation member - East Coast TRAD Bowhunters - E.C.T.B - we are smoke, we are rumor
NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him

GrahameA

#8 Post by GrahameA » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:11 am

Morning Dennis.
Dennis La Varenne wrote:...adding the overdraw feature back in the 1960s and risers went on to look like lumps of 4x2 glued onto the limbs.

Rather than the bow itself, it was these grossly oversized risers ... ... They did absolutely nothing for bow performance.
daryl_photo02.jpg
daryl_photo02.jpg (11.04 KiB) Viewed 2396 times
The photo shows a bow with a large riser and I am of the opinion that of all the bows I own it is the nicest.

What do you define as performance?
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.