Advice on hunting boots

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

rodlonq

Advice on hunting boots

#1 Post by rodlonq » Sun May 18, 2014 6:08 pm

Gday All,

Just had an enjoyable weekend of walking the bush and not crossing paths with any game. Anyway, that's another story. The weekend would have been a lot more enjoyable if I had different footwear on. MY Merril mesh top hiking shoes were comfortable and light, that's good, and they amply resisted the 2" long thorns on the masses of low scrubby acacia looking bush. However they did not suit black speargrass country at all. The spears just penetrated them easily like I was just wearing socks, and then preceded to bury into my feet with each step. After two days my shoes have so many spear grass seeds in them I may even have to chuck them in the bin.

What boots do you fellas find suitable for this. My preference is to be minimalist, and I would prefer thongs or crocs, but they are not an option given the thorny scrub in the area. I alway wear long pants for sun protection regardless of the climate. I am thinking high tops. What would be cooler for tropical North Queensland, leather or Cordura? Perhaps canvas shoes and gaiters are better for spear grass. Would like to find out what Ozbowers find is useful, thanks.

Cheers.... Rod

alaninoz

Re: Advice on hunting boots

#2 Post by alaninoz » Mon May 19, 2014 7:36 pm

Can't speak for coolness in FNQ, but my preference in the bush is top grain leather. Keeps out the grass seeds, dust, etc and I find that the material doesn't matter much for keeping my feet cool. I use Asolo TPS 520, but I don't necessarily recommend them, they just happen to fit my feet really well.
Alan

rodlonq

#3 Post by rodlonq » Tue May 20, 2014 8:58 am

Thanks Alan.

morganp

#4 Post by morganp » Tue May 20, 2014 12:16 pm

I agree with Alan. I have tried 'hi-tops' such as converse and including the 'palladium' baggy styles that I really like http://www.zappos.com/palladium-men-boots~1 These 'baggies' and 'palabrouse' styles are light-weight, tough and very flexible but somehow the grass seeds and thorns always find a way in. I went back to using the palladium leathers, (unlined), same style, which I got cheap in Germany. You may find them online, Ebay, if you hunt around and no-one suggests a better option. They are rugged and seeds do not get in anywhere especially with snake-gaiters. I really liked mine and wore them for everything including long treks until they got much too smelly and the missus dumped them. :-(

Jim

#5 Post by Jim » Wed May 21, 2014 5:47 am

Rod, I think I might wear the same kind of merrel shoes as you. I'm not the worlds biggest fan of boots either, unless Im packing a lot of weight. What about something like a dunlop volley with good ankle gaiters from anaconda... they've got some rugged looking ones for about 25 bucks a pair.. sea to summit brand I think. I went to buy a pair about 2 weeks ago for this very purpose but they were all out!

Otherwise a boot like the Nike SFB might suit. They're very light weight and feel pretty much like a low heeled running shoe with ankle support. They're not as rugged as normal military style boots though, you may only get a few hundred km's out of them. Here's a link to a us shop that's about as cheap as you'll get them:

http://uspatriottactical.com/nike-sfb-m ... eld-boots/

Jim
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

morganp

#6 Post by morganp » Wed May 21, 2014 9:11 am

Jim, those look good and priced well compared to most field boots. Very similar to the Palladium I mentioned in style. The Palladium have a shop in Melbourne and are available in several Aussie stores, even places like Iconic if you can stand mingling with the fashionistas; they are an old brand, well-made and note that the rubber from sole up has a welt and toecap too which helps with stopping thorns/twigs/seeds getting in. I personally find it essential to try boots on.

Nike however has the huge experience of sports shoe technology so I shall have to get some now and compare now my last Palladiums are binned. Worried about buying online though it would be better than a trip to the city.

I assume you got the Nike SFB from that site you linked? How do you find the sizing goes? Palladium seem true to sizing charts but I use a wider fit where possible, are Nike OK there (often it seems Asian-made such as Adidas and Nike runners are from a narrow last when I try them)? It is difficult buying shoes and boots online especially from abroad, for possible returns or swaps, unless you can get a size comparison.

rodlonq

#7 Post by rodlonq » Wed May 21, 2014 3:01 pm

mmmmmm... lots to think about, thanks fellas.

It did become apparent that I could probably use some ankle support in this country. However, my main goal is to keep the spear grass out, it really took away from the joy of walking around in the bush. Does anyone have first hand experience if the boots with a lot of cordura (or similar fabric) in the upper are susceptible to spear grass? It seems the lighter, more flexible boots have this rather than leather uppers. I don't think I want to go to the extreme of really solid (and heavy) boots like you'd use in NZ mountain country, it's just too hot for them I reckon.

I have worn volleys a lot in the past but it seems they are getting narrower (or my feet are getting wider :biggrin: ) as I had to go up two sizes from my normal boot size on the last pair just to get enough width. Net result is the toe of the volleys curling over on up slopes and making my toes cramped.

What a whinger eh... yer I know... I only get out infrequently so I'm not as fit as I could be, carryin' too much weight (not in my pack either) and soft footed from lots of office work. My missus even said "drink some concrete and harden up princess" :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: .

Cheers... Rod

jonow

#8 Post by jonow » Wed May 21, 2014 3:22 pm

I hear you on the spear grass!!! It just keeps working in until you give in and tell them whatever they want to hear. I have experienced spear grass walking in my Merrells and riding a mountain bike along cattle pads. I had to get very specific bike shoes to over come that one...
I live in a hot area, but it's dryer than yours. I swear by my leather boots, mine are Rossi AUS made. A mate has super fancy hiking camo boots and his are noisier than mine.
The high leather hiking boots work well for snakes too.
"Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one's youth. Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them" Psalm 127

Kingsley

#9 Post by Kingsley » Wed May 21, 2014 5:48 pm

I like Keen because of the wide toe section and they are light plus waterproof.

Kingsley

Jim

#10 Post by Jim » Thu May 22, 2014 5:34 am

morganp wrote:I assume you got the Nike SFB from that site you linked? How do you find the sizing goes? Palladium seem true to sizing charts but I use a wider fit where possible, are Nike OK there (often it seems Asian-made such as Adidas and Nike runners are from a narrow last when I try them)? It is difficult buying shoes and boots online especially from abroad, for possible returns or swaps, unless you can get a size comparison.
Morgan, I've never owned a pair but worn a mate's around for a bit. I prefer a shoe unless I'm carrying a lot of weight and then I'm not sure that the FSB is quite enough boot for me. But if you were looking for something in the middle ground they look like a good option. They are short lived compared to regular mil boot though.

I have bought plenty of stuff, including boots from patriottactical, they're fine to deal with. With boot sizing if you can't try before you buy I'd recommend going a size up, you can always double sock. Nothing worse than having your feet squeezed!
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

RobHunter

#11 Post by RobHunter » Fri May 23, 2014 6:45 am

Hi all

http://wellco.com/smith-and-wesson/Conc ... e---SW9333

These look promising.

Also try googling Jungle boots.

Rgds

Rob

PS I bought a pair of Hiking boots from Aussie disposal for $50 on sale. Hi tecs, light and comfortable - but havent been thru spear grass lol.
Great in hot weather and quiet for stalking.

morganp

#12 Post by morganp » Fri May 23, 2014 9:20 am

These look just great too, excellent specs:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WELLCO-M760- ... 338e8f2bea

I think you may have to buy a pair of each type and let us all know Rod? ................... ;-)

rodlonq

#13 Post by rodlonq » Fri May 23, 2014 3:09 pm

Thank for the input fellas.

It sure is scary buying boots online, especially OS. I found a detailed sizing system here https://www.boot.com/bsizcvt.htm#SizeTable

Rob, those boots do look good except for the insulation.

Morgan, those boots look good too except I've read a lot of reviews saying Vibram is slippery on rocks regardless of tread pattern (can anyone confirm or deny this?).

As one would expect, the weight goes up with sturdiness, build quality and seemingly price. It always seems that any one pair of boots don't tick all the boxes. I was keen on the Danner Pronghorns but they are a bit heavy. The Ultralight (not really light though) by Meindl looked good until I notice the mesh fabric tounge = speargrass in the instep = PIA.

There are so many to choose from, a lot of the cheaper models are only offered in medium (standard) width but I need EEE or EE (wide) at least.

I am now considering these from Cabelas

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product. ... t105543180

Not jumping in yet, there is so much to take in gunna chew on it for a while longer.

cheers.... Rod

alaninoz

#14 Post by alaninoz » Fri May 23, 2014 7:10 pm

Haven't had a problem with slippery rocks with the Vibram soles on my Asolos unless there was wet moss on the rocks. I don't claim they stick like rock-climbing shoes, but I haven't had a problem. Might depend on the rocks though. Some might cause a problem and I just haven't come across them.
Alan

Fanto

#15 Post by Fanto » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:23 pm

I use vibram 5 fingers when its dry, these kangaroo leather ones in particular.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.it/product ... ?model=KSO TREK

they are the quietest stalking shoes I know of. you can get smooth soles which would be even quieter. i dont find that my feet get sore wearing them. they do get wet and cold in winter, but i know that a goretex version is available.

youd need to use gaiters.
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

indie

#16 Post by indie » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:36 pm

Rod, not sure if these will be a bit hard core for you but I've walked halfway across the country in them and up to Everest Base Camp. http://www.k2.com.au/product/trek-pro Super comfortable, especially if you put orthotics in them and bullet proof. The vibram sole on them has not ever let me down and I've had them on snow, glaciers, rocks, mud, you name it. The leather will keep those pesky spears at bay. Currently $189 I think and extremely good value at that.

The other boots I love are Blundstone 145 desert boots. Very comfortable and easy to get on/off. Not sure how well the elastic sides would stop the spear grass though. And some small gators would stop stuff getting into them. http://www.blundstone.com/au/work-safet ... /style-145 You could also just get the classic 500's.

morganp

#17 Post by morganp » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:04 pm

ROD, the dealers I have been talking to, (trying to get wellco in my size) suggest the Bates 1452 is the best hot weather hunting boot.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Bates ... AQ:US:1123

I am trying to get them to realise postage around $25 is possible with International Priority Shipping as I have had quite heavy items like a sheepskin-lined jacket for that very quickly lately from USA. Will get some if they alter shipping cost and let you know.

I have had a lot of boots with 'vibram' soles. There are many, many variations on the compound used and the tread pattern. Some are slippy, some less so, some not. It isn't always the softer ones are good in wet either, seems to me its a case of pot-luck unfortunately unless you can afford to go the $300 from the shop route with hiking boots you can try on and so on. I can't ever afford that for a boot and so I get chinese work boots in black leather or desert suede with steel toes for $35 to $65. One brand called Kings are wide fitting compared to most. I found them in a local camping gear shop.

Of all the usual buggers in the stores, Redbacks aren't too bad for width. Blundstones are narrower despite the claim for wide fitting, I have tried them all many times! Its not just the width, its the tightness around the highpoint and usually some bloody seam or stitching gets you right on a pressure point! I also find even many of the very expensive ones like Icon and trekking boots are just a medium fit only. I haven't found many wide-fits for high in-step in reasonably priced boots over the years and wear moccasins a lot of the time at home.

If they do a lower postage I am risking these Bates boots because they do an EE which I need.
If not I am going to make or get made some more moccasin boots! I find good teeth and comfortable feet are what really support a decent life let alone hunting!

morganp

#18 Post by morganp » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:21 pm

I couldn't get the people above to send cheaper than > $60 postage - so I got these instead. The reviews are good and they are said to be larger than usual in sizing and do E fitting. Not bad at less than $100 to door including postage, saving $40+ on post. I've also seen 12W on some sites at around $100 to door in Aus.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ROTHCO-8-Tal ... 946&_uhb=1