QUESTION ABOUT BAMBOO SPECIES WITH DARK PLUM COLOURED RIND

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Dennis La Varenne

QUESTION ABOUT BAMBOO SPECIES WITH DARK PLUM COLOURED RIND

#1 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Wed May 14, 2014 6:39 am

Has anybody seen or heard of a species of bamboo which has a plum-coloured rind? I have an old static recurve here which has very thick bamboo limbs and dark plum-coloured rind.

I first thought it may have been a stain of some kind or even some kind of paint, but with some scratching and sanding of a safe area, it seems that the colour is natural.

Here is a pic of the bow which is 66" long and marked at 65#, but I think it may be even heavier. The old glue is giving way in a couple of places between the laminations, but that can be easily fixed. It looks not to have been used much if at all. There is no arrow-shelf or arrow pass and no sign of contact with arrows being shot from it.
$_57-6.JPG
$_57-6.JPG (361.56 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
$_57-3b.jpg
$_57-3b.jpg (394.58 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: QUESTION ABOUT BAMBOO SPECIES WITH DARK PLUM COLOURED RI

#2 Post by greybeard » Wed May 14, 2014 4:37 pm

I have not heard of plum coloured bamboo.

Perhaps if you contact Dernford Dart at Bamboo Australia he may be able to help you.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

morganp

#3 Post by morganp » Wed May 14, 2014 5:45 pm

A very quick 'google' found a UK supplier http://www.jparkers.co.uk/plant-0005577 ... ed-bamboo/ because Google thinks I am over there, surely this would be available in Aus as well. A 'google' for red bamboo images found many:
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=red+ ... 66&bih=619

I have nandina variety that is red although it has too small a growth for bows (might be OK for arrows) and I have seen pics of blue https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/imag ... GDWIqiiYsw[/img] , purple, black and even red/yellow/green/purple stripes ... now that would be a flash bow!

Dennis La Varenne

#4 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Thu May 15, 2014 5:57 pm

Well, thank you morganp. Much obliged. Jeff Challacombe and I were looking the bow over just yesterday and he/I thought there was a hint of colourising by somebody, but after your post, there is no reason at all to think that it is a paint job at all. I am rather surprised at the existence of the stuff.

This bow is a real brute of a thing. It it is 65lbs I will be disappointed. Just bending it around your knee by holding the tips almost herniates you.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.