Bamboo Australia

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Bamboo Australia

#1 Post by greybeard » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:52 pm

I have been in touch with Bamboo Australia and they advised me that new stocks of natural vertical bamboo boards have arrived.

The new size is 1810 x 152 x 15 mm. Allowing for the t & g at the ends you can squeeze in a 70” bow.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

bigbob

Re: Bamboo Australia

#2 Post by bigbob » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:45 pm

I picked up 2 boxes recently Daryl, and it's just a small pity with the sizes, as before one could squeeze out 4 lams wide as well as the three deep from one board. Now i only get 3 wide and have a growing mass of undersize offcuts.Still its a relief to get a new supply.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:36 pm

bigbob wrote:as before one could squeeze out 4 lams wide as well as the three deep from one board. Now i only get 3 wide and have a growing mass of undersize offcuts.
Can the offcuts be laminated together to get wider laminations or is it more cost effective to purchase new material?

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

bigbob

#4 Post by bigbob » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:01 pm

Don't think its worth the effort and glue Daryl; might be able to utilise some if I make some smaller kids type bows at some stage.It's no big deal in any case, just something to factor in to cost structures.
razorbows.com

rodlonq

#5 Post by rodlonq » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:49 pm

Thanks for the heads up Daryl.

I guess the price hasn't changed. a bit like when they changed the size of a bottle of rum from 1140 ml to 1000 ml, and hiked the price up a little bit. These circumstances are sent to try our tenacity Bob, my guess is your passion will override the hurdle. Bit of a shame though to be chucking out a 30 odd mm strip of board that used to make 3/4 of a core. Maybe they could be used for kids bows with lower pressure in the hose so the edges don't get folded over. I wouldn't chance it using heat strips but if you use an oven they may be useful for narrower bows for sure. Maybe the alternative is to cut the three lams from the middle of the board and use the tongue and groove fit with a smattering of glue to make 60 mm wide strips to trim down for a recurve :lol: .

cheers.... Rod

bigbob

#6 Post by bigbob » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:02 pm

I'll figure out a use for it all Rod :biggrin: before I get buried in a pile of offcuts.
razorbows.com

Gringa Bows

#7 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:52 pm

Thanks for letting us know Daryl :biggrin: