Where to buy bow woods?

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

ben8763

Where to buy bow woods?

#1 Post by ben8763 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:48 pm

Hi everyone, I live in Brisbane and was wondering if anyone could point me toward where, either domestically or online, that I could purchase some materials.

I have made a few bows from Ironbark decking, and most recently a tri-lam bamboo bamboo ironbark elb, but I would very much like to try out some other materials, I am fairly new to bow-making and would like to increase my skills and knowledge working with something other than ironbark.

I would love to know where to source some appropriate staves, chasing a ring and making a traditional un-backed bow is something I would really like to try out (A yep stave ELB is a bit of a dream of mine). I'd also like to find some boards of different timbers; Osage, hickory and ipe, any others people can recommend for both backed or un-backed bows.

If anyone knows where I could source boards or staves and could point me in that direction that would be fantastic.

Regards
Ben

dan76

Re: Where to buy bow woods?

#2 Post by dan76 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:51 pm

You can go and have a look at lazarides, they have a good range of stuff and it's local to you.

Dan

longbow steve

Re: Where to buy bow woods?

#3 Post by longbow steve » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:21 am

Hi Ben, there is an ad in the trade blanket showing some staves I have available but you have to organise the frieght. If you are willing to tackle billets I can post. Steve