Anyone shot or owned these bows?

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

AndyF

Anyone shot or owned these bows?

#1 Post by AndyF » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:39 pm

I was wondering if anyone had shot or owned the following:

Border Harrier Royale
21st Century Edge
Blackbrook Zeta or Sigma (I have a Sigma on order)

If so, I would love to know your thoughts on how they feel and perform - and how they compare to Fox Triple Crowns and Tomahawks (both of which I own) if you've had the chance to shoot those as well.

Cheers,

Andy

UPTHETOP

Re: Anyone shot or owned these bows?

#2 Post by UPTHETOP » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:53 pm

Andy some choice bows you have labelled there. And I see you are lucky enough to own a triple crown and Tomahawk, I have shot many a bow in my time and the triple and top of the range Tomahawk in my opinion are still at the top of the list for a company bow( I see they have the new 3 piece legacy out now). I only own a black widow PLX two piece but have come to love shooting it but when I win the lotto the Tomahawk will be on the wall. Another great bow I owned was an Wes Wallace Royal which was crafted to perfection and shot like a rocket for a very light weight bow.

I guess though it always comes down to a matter of individual looks and likes.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

nathan77

#3 Post by nathan77 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi Andy , unfortunately I haven't shot any of the forementioned bows . I will however shoot a border griffon in about 2 weeks I will let you know how it goes if you like . :biggrin:
Last edited by nathan77 on Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" WHAT DOES NOT KILL YOU WILL ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER"

AndyF

#4 Post by AndyF » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:48 pm

nathan77 wrote:Hi Andy , unfortunately I haven't shot any of the forementioned bows . I will however shoot a border griffon in about 2 weeks I will let you know it goes if you like . :biggrin:
I seem to recall you've shot most of my bows Mr Rodwell. And yes, you can have a crack with the Griffon when it arrives. Although do remember that it's not a 'longbow with mild deflex/reflex' as it's maker, Sid, one of the UK's foremost bowyers, suggests. :biggrin:

Fanto

#5 Post by Fanto » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:59 am

UPTHETOP wrote:Andy some choice bows you have labelled there. And I see you are lucky enough to own a triple crown and Tomahawk, I have shot many a bow in my time and the triple and top of the range Tomahawk in my opinion are still at the top of the list for a company bow( I see they have the new 3 piece legacy out now). I only own a black widow PLX two piece but have come to love shooting it but when I win the lotto the Tomahawk will be on the wall. Another great bow I owned was an Wes Wallace Royal which was crafted to perfection and shot like a rocket for a very light weight bow.

I guess though it always comes down to a matter of individual looks and likes.

Cheers Wayno
Wayno,

Ive shot a 60# tomahawk diamond 3pce. its smooth on the draw (no stacking). It is a very heavy (mass) bow and it has a very particular grip. the shelf is very "low" compared to your hand position. my fletches struck the webbed skin between thumb and pointer finger. It shot 530gr arrows at about 170fps. the chrony may have been a bit on the low side.
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

Kingsley

#6 Post by Kingsley » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:23 am

Andy I have two A&H 3 piece hybred longbows and the proformace is outstanding but thet are a challenge to shoot.Last december I purchased a Tomahawk Legacy 3piece it lasted only 3weeks and it blew through the handle only drawing 50#.
And it was costley to get a refund.I also have a couple of straight ended Longbows and they are a pleasure to use always the same just the shooter that is not.

Kingsley
P.S. There is a place out there for the new hybred bows.

Chase N. Nocks

#7 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:49 pm

AndyF wrote:I was wondering if anyone had shot or owned the following:

Border Harrier Royale
21st Century Edge
Blackbrook Zeta or Sigma (I have a Sigma on order)

If so, I would love to know your thoughts on how they feel and perform - and how they compare to Fox Triple Crowns and Tomahawks (both of which I own) if you've had the chance to shoot those as well.

Cheers,

Andy
Andy,

What made you choose the Sigma over the Zeta? Any particular reason?

I am agonizing over choosing between the two as I have been promised a bow of my choice (within reason) for my 50th.

Even though it will arrive way after.

Cheers

Troy

BTW the Tomahawk legacy sound like a real performer. The bow does not jump out at me ascetically but most 3 piece take-downs seem awkward to my eye. Not hating, just saying.
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

AndyF

#8 Post by AndyF » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:46 pm

The Sigma is on order. Chose it because it's the newer version, that's all. It's basically a tweaked version of the Zeta based on feedback from the likes of Steve Morley. Bigger, heavier riser, bit more forgiving etc, that's about it.

My Tomahawk isn't a legacy. It's just a standard, one-piece Diamond SS 55lb. Nice, punchy, fast bow though.

Andy

PS Call or email Andy Soars at Blackbrook. I'm sure he'll be happy to help you choose.

AndyF

#9 Post by AndyF » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:51 pm

PS. For Troy. One of the guys at my club shoots a Legacy. Loves it so it seems. He also has a Tomahawk Diamond Desert Fox, and from what I've seen, shoots the Legacy more often.

Chase N. Nocks

#10 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:12 pm

Hey Andy,

Thanks mate, I have been checking and rechecking the site. I love the look of both bows but will probably choose the Zeta simply due to the slightly more classical or streamlined lines. Well maybe I should say I will buy a Zeta FIRST. Since I'm getting a freebee from the wife (minds out of the gutter please) I see no reason to restrict myself to one BlackBrook. I have sent the deposit to get myself onto the 6 month waiting list.

I am a pathetic bow whore - it is almost a compulsive disorder. I pray someone will find a cure NO time soon.

BTW did you order the Carbon? I am favoring simple the glass and actionboo.

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

GrahameA

#11 Post by GrahameA » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:21 am

Hi Andy.

A short film clip from a few years ago. Some archery at North Albert and Anna is using her Zeta at the beginning.

For those who are interested, or picky, the reflex can be seen in the Zeta at the start of the draw.

It was shot at 300fps thus the slo-mo. I was playing around with the camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-U2b0xGA9o
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Chase N. Nocks

#12 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:12 am

Thanks Grahame,

There is so little footage of the the Zeta in action I am actually surprised.

I have only been able to find some very short footage of Steve Morley shooting his Zeta.

Maybe I need to look at more of the IFAA and FITA stuff online and pay closer attention :lol:

Cheers
Troy
"Shooting the Stickbow"

GrahameA

Off Topic - Re: Anyone shot or owned these bows?

#13 Post by GrahameA » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:23 am

Hi Troy.
Chase N. Nocks wrote:There is so little footage of the the Zeta in action I am actually surprised.

I have only been able to find some very short footage of Steve Morley shooting his Zeta.

Maybe I need to look at more of the IFAA and FITA stuff online and pay closer attention :lol:
Hmmm......... I could say something I would later regret.

Meanwhile, can you name all the people in the Video. You have met them all lets test your little grey cells. :shock: :biggrin:
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Chase N. Nocks

#14 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:35 am

Grahame I am embarrassed to say that Anna I do not recall meeting. :oops:

The chap in the red shirt shooting the ELB I have seen a number of times but have not really gone much past the g'day stage.

Steve and Sue of course are always memorable.

I don't know if there are anymore as the video says 3+ minutes but stops just after 2 minutes.

It's fun watching people you know shoot arrows on YouTube.

Cheers
Troy
"Shooting the Stickbow"

GrahameA

#15 Post by GrahameA » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:15 am

Hi Troy
Chase N. Nocks wrote:... I don't know if there are anymore as the video says 3+ minutes but stops just after 2 minutes.
Why did you break my video??

Okay I have deleted the existing copy and uploaded a new copy from the vault.

Hopefully you can now watch the full version at http://youtu.be/FNIpSxy27wA

There are some interesting videos up there ....... if you like archery. http://www.youtub ... se7/videos
Grahame.

Chase N. Nocks

#16 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:48 pm

Sorry Grahame,

Did not mean to break it.

Seems the only additional character was Daryl having some sort of corroboree in the background.

Knowing Daryl, this is entirely within the scope of normal behaviour.

The other link I have now subscribed so as to watch later.

Cheers
Troy
"Shooting the Stickbow"

AndyF

#17 Post by AndyF » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:09 am

Well, I now know how a Border Harrier shoots. My girlfriend came home last night clutching the 57lb Black Harrier that was on here for sale alongside the Griffon I bought. Nice girl. Very nice Xmas pressie. So that's two Borders to pay with at Wiseman's this weekend. Happy days.