dreambow

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

tradarcher

dreambow

#1 Post by tradarcher » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:06 pm

I am sorry if this question has been posed to many times but in your dream world where money is unlimited and postage is free what longbow would you choose ?and why . any takers out there ?

Gringa Bows

Re: dreambow

#2 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:19 pm

I maybe be Bias but i'de want a Gringa D\R cause they're the only bows I shoot and I lovem :mrgreen:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:49 pm

He said longbow LB. :wink: :mrgreen:

Just one of my own with a Snakewood riser and Bamboo limb core.

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#4 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:35 pm

Ay Boss,a D\R is a longbow..........................................................................................................................Isn't it wewll any style of bow made by Gringa Bows :mrgreen:

bigbob

#5 Post by bigbob » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:43 pm

Guess I'l have to be biased too[ :wink: :mrgreen: ] and say one of my deflex/reflex longbows :surprised: :mrgreen: ] in some great aussie timbers like select black wattle, Ringed gidgee and maybe purple gidgee. Have seen some great Trilams made by a guy in US who doesn't sell them but maybe I can convince him to do a swap. Some of his Osage/ hickory with flipped tips are VERY nice.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:52 pm

bigbob wrote: and say one of my deflex/reflex longbows ]
I've never seen you post any photos of those Bob. :biggrin:

Jeff

Goatchaser

#7 Post by Goatchaser » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:54 pm

Hard question but I really like Aussie made stuff and have found myself perving on Nick Lintern's bows a lot lately, :oops:

Fanto

#8 Post by Fanto » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:57 pm

Cari-bow slynx, I have one but I would love a 2pce in a heavy draw weight, black and white ebony limbs , Gabon ebony riser, , water buff tips, cap and heel and back overlay
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

hazard

#9 Post by hazard » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:40 pm

Goatchaser wrote:Hard question but I really like Aussie made stuff and have found myself perving on Nick Lintern's bows a lot lately, :oops:
I have a couple of Nicks bows, and they are top grade!! Not just in Australia, i consider him to be one of the top players, with very few exceptions.

Oh and Jeff ,dont get started :wink:
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Roadie

#10 Post by Roadie » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:23 pm

Aussie Made, No Questions, All my Bows are Aussie, the one that's not is being passed on to a young Fella that wants to get into Trad. Cheers Roadie.

bigbob

#11 Post by bigbob » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:28 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:

Jeff
Dont worry we'll convert you yet! 8) :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
razorbows.com

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:36 pm

bigbob wrote:
Stickbow Hunter wrote:

Jeff
Dont worry we'll convert you yet! 8) :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Never!!!

Jeff

little arrows

#13 Post by little arrows » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:08 pm

I shot a Raven Longbow (also Aussie Made) at one of the events at Barambah Trad shoot this year, and I must say, if I was to take the longbow up again I would certain buy a Raven.

yes Jeff I know..... :biggrin:

cheers
sue
Last edited by little arrows on Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrahameA

#14 Post by GrahameA » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:33 pm

Evening All.
tradarcher wrote:I am sorry if this question has been posed to many times but in your dream world where money is unlimited and postage is free what longbow would you choose ?and why . any takers out there ?
Since we are restricted to Longbows.

1. Blackbrook Zeta. http://www.blackbrook.eu/page_1593498.html
The Zeta is a proven design and has enough victories to demonstrate it is capable of taking a competent archer to the top in competition........ and it looks nice

2. An English Longbow made from high altitude Italian or Spanish Yew.
Because it is an English Longbow made from Top Quality Yew.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Fanto

#15 Post by Fanto » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:58 pm

graham that blackbrook zeta really looks like something special. thanks for posting that i love threads like this

cheers
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

longbowinfected

#16 Post by longbowinfected » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:15 pm

Got a pair that do everything I need. Got really lucky getting these two because they are my dream bows. Still need 1 more to fill a gap.
Steve Bow LH 47# d/r boo core zebra wood front and back. Sweet, smooth and fast bow. Use it for field and shorter distances target and indoor.
Black Widow LH 53# d/r take down in the handle carbon sleeve. Olive Ash. Exceptionally fast and smooth Use it for clout and longer distance target. My primary bow for travel.
Use both for hunting.
I still need a lower poundage take down for field/travel.

I always try to buy Australian but the Black Widow is a one in a squillion of its kind. An amazing bow. It was 10# over what I was used to shooting but was extremely smooth. Great point on at 70 metres with a heavy arrow but not an easy bow to gap shoot at 30 or 40 metres......or for over 144 arrows.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

GrahameA

#17 Post by GrahameA » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:21 am

Morning.
Fanto wrote:graham that blackbrook zeta really looks like something special. thanks for posting that i love threads like this
IMHO
The "Zeta" is a bow that a) meets my personal design philosophies, b) has demonstrated that it is a stable shooting platform, c) has more than enough options if I wanted to maximise the performance.

(I do not like bows that are preloaded by reflexing the limbs so a bow like the Slynx would not be for me.)

The hardest part is coming up with the criteria upon which to base the decision.

There are other bows that interest me, e.g. ACS and Falco, however in the realm of "longbows" the Zeta is currently at the top of my choice.

A Zeta in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCBM9kMzLT4
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#18 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:03 am

little arrows wrote:yes Jeff I know.....
Yes you do!

They aren't longbows for the same reason Steve is a Fletcher and not an Arrowsmith.

Jeff

Fanto

#19 Post by Fanto » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:43 am

GrahameA wrote:Morning.
Fanto wrote:graham that blackbrook zeta really looks like something special. thanks for posting that i love threads like this
IMHO
The "Zeta" is a bow that a) meets my personal design philosophies, b) has demonstrated that it is a stable shooting platform, c) has more than enough options if I wanted to maximise the performance.

(I do not like bows that are preloaded by reflexing the limbs so a bow like the Slynx would not be for me.)

The hardest part is coming up with the criteria upon which to base the decision.

There are other bows that interest me, e.g. ACS and Falco, however in the realm of "longbows" the Zeta is currently at the top of my choice.

A Zeta in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCBM9kMzLT4
Graham,

The Slynx is indeed "preloaded". whilst the force draw curve is linear on paper, its not as "smooth" (wish there was a better word) as a straight laid bow. the payback is that its 10% faster than mild d/r bows (such as a tomahawk) its short, its light and im able to shoot it as accurately as any other bow. (by which I just mean there is nothing that causes me to shoot worse than usual. No bow causes me to shoot better than usual. Im not looking for such a bow anyway. its a hunting bow thats fine for 3D, that also happens to be a work of art.

cheers

Jim

#20 Post by Jim » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:24 am

I'd love to shoot one of Ron LaClair's Shrew bows, but they're considerably shorter than anything I've ever shot so couldn't call it a dream bow I guess. I really like the look of the Hill style longbows as well but haven't shot one of them either! I guess I'm too much of a rookie to have a dreambow :lol:

Jim
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

Fanto

#21 Post by Fanto » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:40 am

Jim wrote:I'd love to shoot one of Ron LaClair's Shrew bows, but they're considerably shorter than anything I've ever shot so couldn't call it a dream bow I guess. I really like the look of the Hill style longbows as well but haven't shot one of them either! I guess I'm too much of a rookie to have a dreambow :lol:

Jim
Jim,

nonsense! go ahead and dream. the shrew bows are beautiful

dan76

#22 Post by dan76 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:41 pm

I would prefer to shoot one of my own recurves above anything else, but if had to buy a longbow i would buy a Big Jim, they are a seriously good bow, then a Black widow after that and a great plains after that.

Dan

Goatchaser

#23 Post by Goatchaser » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:44 pm

I said a bow made by someone else because my bows are not a dream to me just to shoot. :wink: :smile: :lol:

Roadie

#24 Post by Roadie » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:58 pm

All the Bows I use are my Dream Bows, and with a little bit of Luck, next weekend I will be using my new Dream Bow, she Will be my new MISTRESS and she is All Aussie Made. Cheers Roadie.

littlejohn59

#25 Post by littlejohn59 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:23 pm

I am still looking. :cry: I have 2 good bows which happen to be blackwidows.
Dreambows..... not by a longshot.

I too am interested in other peoples thoughts though. :geek: :idea:

the celt

#26 Post by the celt » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:52 pm

try a bloke called csaba grozer from hungary his bows are very sweet to shoot and his back up service is excellent can only go by experience

bigbob

#27 Post by bigbob » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:18 pm

I believe tTm up this way has one of his [grozer] bio composite with horn belly and it sure does impress me
razorbows.com

GrahameA

#28 Post by GrahameA » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:49 pm

Evening All
Fanto wrote:The Slynx is indeed "preloaded". whilst the force draw curve is linear on paper, its not as "smooth" (wish there was a better word) as a straight laid bow. the payback is that its 10% faster than mild d/r bows ....
That is always the 'damn' issue with bows. Generally, you gain in one area whilst losing in another.

Re Grozer. Grozer has made longbows in the past however, I am unsure if he currently offers a longbow for sale.
Grahame.

littlejohn59

#29 Post by littlejohn59 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:16 pm

Thanks guys. I checked out Grozer web site......only recurves

GrahameA

Smoothness - Off Topic but Related.

#30 Post by GrahameA » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:48 am

A small aside.

Morning Fanto.
Fanto wrote:.... its not as "smooth" (wish there was a better word) as a straight laid bow. ....
I was thinking about your comment above.

Refer seperate post http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=14222
Grahame.