Arrow Weight and FOC

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Ian Turner

Arrow Weight and FOC

#1 Post by Ian Turner » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:15 pm

Hello everybody,
I have read many articles; mostly American but would like to get ozzie opinions and ideas from guys out there that hunt ozzie game ie pigs goat foxes etc;-
Arrow weight for bows 40 - 50lb - Any particular suggestions and preferences; from what i read starting around 10 gpi is the norm
FOC- Again for bows in the 40 - 50lb area - I have read anywhere from 12% to 30%.
Please let me have you thoughts as my hunting expience to date is that using a 30-06, .22, etc and 12ga etc and I would like to now hunt with a bow particularly as Jonnie Howard wanted my guns more than me!!
Cheers
IAN
Last edited by Ian Turner on Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndyF

Re: Arrow Weight and FOC

#2 Post by AndyF » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:06 am

Hi Ian,

Whilst I don't hunt (yet) I've made a fair few arrows for myself and various others in my time (you'll find some of mine under 'Yet more arras' on here somewhere).

You're right, about 10 grains per pound of draw weight seems to be the norm. Most target/field arrows I make are around 9-10 grains. And I have others that are nearer 11. I currently have a set of Wallace Woods shafted arrows that are 575 grains (with only a 125 grain point) and shot from a 55lb bow which I think should go real well around a field course (will be trying them around Wisemans this weekend). From what I gather you probably won't need much more than about a 600 grain arrow at most for goats, foxes and what not. And the extra weight won't matter much (speed and trajectory drop off) because your hunting distances will be under 25 metres for the most part.

You can play with FOC using a number of aspects. Changing point weight (from 125 grains up to 160 even 190) and tapering the rear of your arrows, for instance. From what I've read, about 16-17% seems good. And again, at hunting distances it won't make much of a difference from what I gather.

Hope that's of some use. And I'm sure someone else will have a more informed opinion.

Andy

Ian Turner

#3 Post by Ian Turner » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:29 pm

Hi Andy, The ACE OF SPADES THE ACE OF SPADES, Im a Motorhead fan too.
Mate i will be at Rob's place on Sunday too and I an idea that i have shot a round with you, Howard and Dave.
Thats if I have the right Andy!.
Cheers
Mate
Ian

Fanto

#4 Post by Fanto » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:48 pm

a .400 spine with 220grs up front, 2 blade broadhead, achieved full penetration through goats when shot from a mid 50#s bow, but the arrow did not pass through completely.

im shooting 60# at the moment, 320gr point, 25%foc, 700gr arrow weight. these pass through and continue on at some speed.

cheers
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

clinton miller

#5 Post by clinton miller » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:14 pm

680gr from 57# recurve 350gr upfront.

currently working on some new buff arrows for my new 72# border black douglas. looking for 950-1000gr with about 650gr upfront. hopefully some .300 spine axis will work.

momentum.......
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

little arrows

#6 Post by little arrows » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:59 pm

Ian,

I am more than confident Andy will be able to answer all your queries and guide you in the right direction on the weekend.

cheers
sue

Kanin-maskwa

#7 Post by Kanin-maskwa » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:29 pm

I hear exactly what you are saying and I am one of those that have read and get what Dr Ashby is saying.
I do however see other point that have been made on arrows.

I am currently searching for my next 2 sets of arrows and the one set sounds like what you are after too in a way.

First and foremost integrity of the set up is paramount. If it fails on impact the rest is moot.
Next perfect arrow flight is critical. If they fly any which way then you won't hit near your mark.
Okay now the nitty gritty.
I disagree that you can never be to heavy as some preach. For a bow that is in the 50# it will be dependent on range you want to shoot out to.
I also believe their is a minimum arrow speed especially for certain game.

I personally believe 160fps is a minimum. But I also want maximum penetration so look for as high as FOC I can get while keeping to a weight of 650gr. At 650gr and my bow I will be in the mid 160fps range.
With this set up a true 3:1 razor sharp broadhead and EFOC over 23% and you should have consistent pass though even on shoulder shots on tougher game.

But I'm Metis not born Australian so my thinking may be a bit diferent but I think a lot of Aussies like high FOC except wheelie Archers.

My other set I'm working on will be Bamboo and may very we be over 650gr and less than 20% FOC likely around 15-17% and 700gn or better but would still be a good hunting arrow.

Like others have said before me lighter arrows with less FOC and smaller broadheads have worked on heaps of game before and will continue to.

One other thing, 10gpi is about the diminishing return point for a lot of trad long bows. But the RD long bows hybrids and the like seem to work well up to 13-16GPI depending on the bow.

But honestly the game you are targeting you can get away with less but why?

Experience speaks and people that tell you their arrows work that have been successful are right smd there are a plethora of opinions and arrows that will work. Only you can decide the direction you want to go.

I hope that helps and is not more confusing. I know exactly what I am after and when seeking shaft selection advice very few seem to get what I am after, trying to alter my recipe or missing my point.
But I'm close I think to my next selection.
Cheers

Ian Turner

#8 Post by Ian Turner » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:57 pm

Hi guys thanks for the responses; i am gathering that the prevailing opinion is for high FOC with quite heavy broadheads and Fanto I can certainly understand 1000gr for buff.
This is certainly interesting when I look at the commonly available broadheads which are either 100gr or 125gr.
I know that looking beyond the archery shops Tuskers, blackstump etc make a wide range of weights.
Cheers
Ian

Jim

#9 Post by Jim » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:59 pm

You can achieve quite high foc with a relatively modest broadhead by using a light carbon shaft (like an easton powerflight) and using a heavy brass insert and a heavy steel broadhead adaptor (e.g. 100gn brass insert, 125gn steel adaptor and a 190gn tusker concorde would be a total 405 grain head weight).

The biggest obstacle for lighter bows is keeping your gpp down. I tuned a 19gpp arrow with 27% foc to a 45# recurve. They grouped nicely and drove themselves considerably deeper into my target than their lighter, MUCH faster comrades, however they were point on target at 20m. It was just too heavy an arrow for the little bow.

I have some 30% foc arrows that are about 12gpp tuned to my 60# recurve. They fly nicely, quickly and I split a cow leg in twine with one the other day (edit - I should point out that was a butchers cow leg, not one actually attached to a cow). Of course some folks would make the very valid point that you should make all efforts to avoid shooting a cow in the leg :wink:

Jim
Last edited by Jim on Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

AndyF

#10 Post by AndyF » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:03 pm

Ian Turner wrote:Hi Andy, The ACE OF SPADES THE ACE OF SPADES, Im a Motorhead fan too.
Mate i will be at Rob's place on Sunday too and I an idea that i have shot a round with you, Howard and Dave.
Thats if I have the right Andy!.
Cheers
Mate
Ian
Hi Ian, yes I think we've shot together around Rob's a while back. I'm guessing you were the guy in red on Sunday. Yes?

A

Ian Turner

#11 Post by Ian Turner » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:16 pm

Hi Andy yes you are correct I like to go to shoots in bright red or orange.
I like to be seen!!
Cheers
mate
By the way love your arrrows.